PDA

View Full Version : Fable Pic. yes only one but its sweet

Ugunnalose
02-09-2004, 05:33 PM
http://xboxmedia.ign.com/xbox/image/fable_020904_000.jpg

l Maximus l
02-09-2004, 05:39 PM
Nice...the more and more I learn about this game, the more I'm actually interested in buying it, despite my displeasure with RPGs. I figure, if I'm going to innitiate myself into getting an RPG, it may as well as be the one that sets a whole new benchmark for the genre.

LynxFX
02-09-2004, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Maximus SYN
Nice...the more and more I learn about this game, the more I'm actually interested in buying it, despite my displeasure with RPGs. I figure, if I'm going to innitiate myself into getting an RPG, it may as well as be the one that sets a whole new benchmark for the genre.
Especially since this RPG is geared more towards people like you and me, ones that don't really like RPG's. :D

Nice pic. :cheers:

xbox genius
02-09-2004, 06:02 PM
nice picture... not as high quality as i expected... as a matter of fact, this picture looks downgraded from the earlier pictures of fable... i mean the other earlier pictures actually were much smoother and the foliage looks real and with lush..... but the trees on this screen shot looks 2d and fake............

but its stilll quality graphics, just not as good as i expected.

Shadow20002
02-09-2004, 06:16 PM
Look totally awesome !!

l Maximus l
02-09-2004, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by LynxFX-XBA

Especially since this RPG is geared more towards people like you and me, ones that don't really like RPG's. :D

How is it geared more towards non RPG fans? You're statement definately got my attention... Is it because this game appears to be more action based? To me, that's what makes an RPG worth playing...unless there is some other ingredient that I'm not aware of.

BoundBruiser
02-09-2004, 06:34 PM
I'm sick of seeing all these nice pictures and then knowing that I can't play the game until June-July. Anyone know any good games that are coming out soon? Besides Ninja Gaiden?

l Maximus l
02-09-2004, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by boundbruiser
I'm sick of seeing all these nice pictures and then knowing that I can't play the game until June-July. Anyone know any good games that are coming out soon? Besides Ninja Gaiden?

Personally, I can't wait for Rallisport Challenge 2...the game is going to seriously rock! Besides, I need to take my new Mad Catz wheel on a test run XBL style :D

Duke
02-09-2004, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by boundbruiser

Eh, I don't mind. Somehow I never really jones for RPG's. I like them, and play the hell out of them, but maybe it's because I can always go through my last one one more time.

You can only play through FPS' so many freaking times (excpet for maxy, but even he must get tired once in awhile.)

l Maximus l
02-09-2004, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by DukeBuckhorn

You can only play through FPS' so many freaking times (excpet for maxy, but even he must get tired once in awhile.)

Only after a full case of beer and 8 hours later :cheers:

Ugunnalose
02-09-2004, 10:27 PM
yeah this will be a sweet game

thrAsher
02-09-2004, 10:34 PM
The Balverine looks cool and all, but come on? What's w/ BBB/Lionhead dropping only one screen? I mean, really? And it would have to be a sub-par shot of a creature anybody following Fable has seen before, and couldn't really care less about.

I want to see some Will powers, or even menu screens, something!

And on the topic of what makes a good RPG, I believe that the boys doing Fable are going for a mixture of the action of a Final Fantasy/Baldur's Gate and the personalization of the character that pervades every Western RPG, and all under the premise of a Brothers Grimm fairytale.

I mean, if they pull it off, it's gonna be an instant classic.

LynxFX
02-09-2004, 11:14 PM
How is it geared more towards non RPG fans? You're statement definately got my attention... Is it because this game appears to be more action based? To me, that's what makes an RPG worth playing...unless there is some other ingredient that I'm not aware of.
Dene Carter told us this from his own lips, not like he could use anyone elses but anyway, they wanted to make an RPG that would grab non RPG fans attention. That meant getting rid of the boring numbers system (+5 fire, +45 snot flinging, etc) and anything that slowed the game down. They wanted to make the game intuitive as well as the progression of your character. The level of detail that has gone into every little nuance of life is in there. It was all very cool. I went into that room thinking, Fable, sure whatever, next! I left thinking, this is going to be the best game ever!!

Ugunnalose
02-10-2004, 12:16 AM
dude i forgot. what was the name originally?

l Maximus l
02-10-2004, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by Ugunnalose
dude i forgot. what was the name originally?

You mean, Project Ego?

l Maximus l
02-10-2004, 01:02 AM

Dene Carter told us this from his own lips, not like he could use anyone elses but anyway, they wanted to make an RPG that would grab non RPG fans attention. That meant getting rid of the boring numbers system (+5 fire, +45 snot flinging, etc) and anything that slowed the game down. They wanted to make the game intuitive as well as the progression of your character. The level of detail that has gone into every little nuance of life is in there. It was all very cool. I went into that room thinking, Fable, sure whatever, next! I left thinking, this is going to be the best game ever!!

Yeah! I hate that numbering system in RPGs! Honestly, dude...that is peeve numero uno...other peeves regarding RPGs include reading a book instead of playing the game (long ass story-line that you have to read every 2 minutes...I friggin' hate that), also, slow progress (walking for 20-30 minutes and nothing great happens), and weak fighting engines.

From what I have seen so far, it seems that the fighting engine in this game is off the hook! That, I know I am excited about. It's also nice to learn that the numbering system is void, which is huge. But, I'm still not clear on the others...I guess as time gets closer and closer to it's release, we'll hear more...unless it's been discussed already...I'm not sure. Thanks for the info, though :)

Crazy Joe
02-10-2004, 10:15 AM

Yeah! I hate that numbering system in RPGs! Honestly, dude...that is peeve numero uno...other peeves regarding RPGs include reading a book instead of playing the game (long ass story-line that you have to read every 2 minutes...I friggin' hate that), also, slow progress (walking for 20-30 minutes and nothing great happens), and weak fighting engines.

From what I have seen so far, it seems that the fighting engine in this game is off the hook! That, I know I am excited about. It's also nice to learn that the numbering system is void, which is huge. But, I'm still not clear on the others...I guess as time gets closer and closer to it's release, we'll hear more...unless it's been discussed already...I'm not sure. Thanks for the info, though :)

i don't think the number system is void, i think it's just taken out of your control, your skills are improved based on your actions and portrayed by your physical appearance, which is a great way to do it, especially if you are going after a non-RPG crowd. It makes things far simpler and more intuitive, I'm thinking there iwill likely be a pretty indepth storyline, but it will probably mostly all be spoken word so you can listen instead of read.

Duke
02-10-2004, 10:18 AM
I don't mind the numbering system so much. One of the main points is to improve your skills.

If you just walked into the game and straight owned, it would take a lot of the fun out of it.

I just don't like to have it shoved in my face all the time. ie, never looked at that log in KOTOR. I could care less which way the 1000 sided dice fall.

DIGITAL
02-10-2004, 10:40 AM
Nice...the more and more I learn about this game, the more I'm actually interested in buying it, despite my displeasure with RPGs. I figure, if I'm going to innitiate myself into getting an RPG, it may as well as be the one that sets a whole new benchmark for the genre. my feelings 2 ,i haten final fantasy type games but the more i hear about fable the more i want to try it

thrAsher
02-10-2004, 10:52 AM
Here's the FAQ from alter-ego's website regarding Fable. A good read for those who know nothing about the game, and some tidbits even the Fable fanatic might not know:

Fable FAQ

When is it going to be released?

Sometime between February - July 2004
~~~~~

Who is publishing Fable?

Big Blue Box
~~~~~

ESRB Rating?

Not known yet, but most likely to be Mature
~~~~~

How Long is the Game?

It will take you around 20 hours to complete the main quest, if you know your way around, taking the fastest way possible and only speaking to those relevant to the quest. Of course there are many other side quests and things to keep you playing for 100+ hours.
~~~~~

Story in Fable?

One of the few rpg games without a story line. Well, not completely without one. After being sent off on an errand, you return to find your parent kidnapped and your dog nailed upon the door. This is where you decide to take vengeance and choose your destiny in any way you desire. Although your character has not a background to the main plot, the whole land of Albion is entangled togather by its history and will pass towards the future depending on your actions.
~~~~~

How does Combat Work?

Combat is very simple to take up being similar to any hack and slash. Yet as you get more experienced with a certain weapon or magic, you will be unlocking different moves and combos which apart from looking really nice, will also inflict much more damage.
~~~~~

Loading Times?

None, except at the start.
~~~~~

Time in Fable?

Yes, unlike many other games, time does pass in Fable. How long each hour is, has not yet been determined. Neither do we know how many days there will be in a year in Albion. clouds will roll over head and the sun will rise and set and the character will age and morph in real time, but only important NPCs will age in real time (such as your wife).
~~~~~

View of Hero?

The game will move along in third person perspective. Yet if you are not moving you can switch it to first person and admire your surroundings.
~~~~~

How are the graphics?

If your wondering about this, then you obviously haven't seen the screen shots. This is by far the most graphically detailed rpg in existence. Stop reading this FAQ and head to the screen shots section.
~~~~~

How will the ingame camera function?

The game will be played in third person. You can switch to first person only when undertaking certain tasks or just to stop and look around.
~~~~~

Music in Fable?

As we have only heard music from the trailers, we cant say for sure, but expect LOTR and epic style music.
~~~~~

How will the world of Albion be?

The land will probably be smaller than Morriwind, but packed full of juicy goodness, and none of that flat yellow crap which takes ages to walk across. The game world will be lush and organic, and exploring it will be more a pleasure than a chore. It has no relation to Britain in terms of size.
~~~~~

What about death?

You won't technically die. Instead, a villager from the nearest town will drag you back to safety so you can recover. You won't lose items or have to restart the game, but you will have failed in some respect. Either you failed the quest you were on or at the very least you were beaten, lowering your renown slightly. This way "dying" doesn't erase everything you've done up to a certain point and works naturally into the game. There are some cases in the game in which the character may truly die however.
~~~~~

Must I eat to stay alive?

You'll be a little weakling but you won't die will most probably be how it ends up. You can get really fat if you eat too much.
~~~~~

Competition?

Yes, your not the only hero here. The world doesn't revolve around you sir. There are many others who want to be known in this world and who want to be the best of the best. Sometimes this might give you a chance to partner up and go adventuring together with another hero.... but other times, selfishness might lead to another hero striking you down for trying to withdraw his attention.
~~~~~

Multiplayer?

Yes, thats in and working well. Unfortunately we haven't seen this yet, but its there. you can have up to three other friends on one xbox helping you out on your quest. They could have their own heroes, which they can upload either by having it saved on the xbox or importing him from a memory card. Or, they could control one of your followers (if you have any). But they are know as 'alter ego's' and they wont play any effect on the world whatsoever. They can kill people and protect your back, but they cannot interact with anyone else in the world.
~~~~~

Gender?

There will be women heroes in the game, but unfortunately, one cant choose to become one. This would take to long to implement seeing all the other additions to be required for them.
~~~~~

Can I be evil?

Yes my evil friend... you can be evil. You can enter town and kill the first woman you see carrying a bag filled with tomatoes. You can enter homes at night and slaughter everyone while they sleep. You can break through windows and steal what you please. But also be aware that you will easily mingle with bad company. The scum of Albion will be atracted to your skills and they might want to join you
~~~~~

Being good?

Of course man... You can be the best of the stock. Give money to the poor, help out any citizen, instead of killing a thief, have him caught. Yep, be a good Paladin style character.
~~~~~

How will your alignment affect in the game?

Well, if your good, then your features will be more open, your smile will be sincere, and your eyes will seem welcoming. If your evil, your eyebrows will close in, you might carry a grin all the time, etc. This will affect those around you seeing that they may or may not befriend you or trust you.
~~~~~

What about being famouse?

Your renown is the ultimate measure of the dozens of stats comprising your character's very essence. More renown = more respect. Will draw the attention of other heroes.
~~~~~

npc interaction?

You will be able to threaten them to hand you over money/items. The NPC's should be very good indeed in their behaviour. Daily routines, activities based on time of day, reaction to how you look, how powerful you are, your actions, morality, and reaction to each other as they cross paths.
~~~~~

Will I have any other physical differences?

Yes... ahem.. If you use a sword all day and run around in the open fields fighting bandits, lifting rocks, training, etc. your muscles will expand and you will become tanned from staying in the sun, but hiding in the shadows will make your skin grow pale. Now if you choose the path of the assassin/thief who moves around at night, moves gently and quick, carries light weapons and clothing, then you will become pale and slender. Now if you choose the path of Will (magic), then you will bald quicker and wrinkle faster. you can get tatoos as well, blue tatoos are caused by the use of will, while black tatoos are ones you choose yourself. You can also scar from battle wounds if you do not bandage the wound.
~~~~~

Are there attributes in the game?

yes, they consist of the factors. Strength: how hard you hit somebody, Skill: like using bows and arrows or ranged attacks, Will: the magic within Fable.
~~~~~

Whats Will?

'Will' is the magic in Albion. Its magic which you obtain not by reading books or scrolls, but rather by telepathically interacting with your surroundings. It will be hard at first only allowing you to acomplish small tasks, but when you grow experienced of it, then you might have the mental abilities to cast tremendous spells. This of course comes with a consequence, you age much faster - since will sucks at your life force and tires you.
~~~~~

How much can I carry with me? My inventory?

As much as you want. You have whats called a bottomless sack. You can equip two weapons with you at a time, but in your bag, you can keep all the rest.
~~~~~

Marriage?

Yes, indeed. You can get married and have kids. But don't get to atached too them. If they notice that you spend to much time with your family and you don't retake your questing days, then suddenly, your wife and son will be murdered.
~~~~~

Housing?

Yes, rent or buy a house. Why just a house? Buy the whole city!
~~~~~

Horses?

Nope, no horses sorry. But you will have other ways of transportation such as magic portals.
~~~~~

Jumping?

No jumping. This means that you cant jump whenever you want, but rather it's context sensitive, like Zelda. If there is an object which you can jump, then it will jump automatically.
~~~~~

Shields?

No, but you can learn how to use your weapon as one.
~~~~~

Mercenaries?

Yes, you can hire mercenaries if you wish.
~~~~~

What about the controls?

The face buttons operate as basic general commands. Interact with object = Y. Conversation = A. D-Pad = learn from other people in the world -- how to burp, fighting moves, and expressions. Most actions will be carried out by a case sensitive button. Stand next to a lamp and the option to LIGHT it will appear. Press the action button and it turns on. You can then TURN OFF the lamp. Movement is on the left stick.
~~~~~

Saving?

Saving hasn't been decided upon yet. There needs to be easy to access save points, such as Inns or beds, or even stone circles in the wilderness. You will not be able to save anywhere however.

This is just a basis of the FAQ. If you have any other questions, feel free to send them in. Be sure that they are not already answered. Also, keep in mind that there are some answers to questions that we know not of. Thank you.

copyright © james rogers, 2003 (http://dynamic6.gamespy.com/~fable/gameinfo/FAQ.php)

TuffEagle88
02-12-2004, 04:51 PM
sweet!

Conchord
02-12-2004, 05:05 PM
Hey Casper, there IS a Halo 2 forum, how about a Fable forum?

ultra-electro
02-14-2004, 09:12 PM
fable is coming along quite nicely if you ask me, definately...

mayo_nase2000
02-19-2004, 05:01 PM

I really don't like RPG's either, but my brother is crazy about this game and I doesn't look half bad. Nice pic.