PDA

View Full Version : LAN setup

tay_z91
02-10-2004, 06:12 PM
i desparately want to connect my x box in the basement to the one upstairs. i don't want it connected to the internet, just to one another so i can play halo or counter strike with my friends on separate tv's. i bought an expensive router with lots of cable, but i have no idea what i'm doing. i thought i would be able to just use a 4-port hub... can i use the much less expensive hub and get my money back? anyway, can anyone who knows about this or has been to a halo or any other LAN party please help...

LynxFX
02-10-2004, 06:40 PM
If you are just wanting to connect to your two xbox's together with nothing inbetween, ie computer or internet, then just buy a long crossover cable. If you can't find a crossover cable long enough, buy regular lan cable and get a crossover coupler to switch it to a crossover on one end.

No need for hubs, or routers or anything complicated like that. So you can get your money back. :)

But since you have a hub, unless you can take it back, you can use it as well. Run one lan cable from one xbox into the hub. Connect it to port 1 or the 'uplink' port. There might be a switch on the hub that converts one port to 'uplink', make it so. :) Then run one lan cable from your other xbox and stick it in any of the available ports in the hub.

That's it.

tay_z91
02-11-2004, 02:55 PM
thanks a lot