OK, I saw it today in the stores.
Who's picked it up?

First impressions?

How's the single player campaign?

Do I need to get it?

:huh:

thrAsher
02-11-2004, 01:37 PM
IGN has their review up on the front page. They basically bashed it, but in their ever-so-loving way. 7.8, I believe they gave it.

RudedogX
02-11-2004, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by thrAsher-XBA
IGN has their review up on the front page. They basically bashed it, but in their ever-so-loving way. 7.8, I believe they gave it. As I expected. I'm just not excited about this game at all.:confused:

CRAYMAN
02-11-2004, 02:10 PM
I love you guys.:cry: You're the best!

Thanks.

Dark Enemy
02-11-2004, 02:49 PM
With other better fps out i dont think this game is needed;unless they made big changes with it

Brutus
02-11-2004, 02:55 PM
I'll still get it because there just ain't enough FPS's on the Console, even though we have Eleventy Billion of them. This game is promising if you love FPS's.
And it looks really pretty, too! :-)
I'll have fun shooting things for a while in a new setting, ya know?
Isn't there vehicles this time around too? Please confirm.

mattgame
02-11-2004, 03:08 PM
I'm gonna get it because I need a fix since that other game has been pushed back. Vehicles? Yes. Supposedly, but I'll know for sure after I get it today. I'll hit you back.

Conchord
02-11-2004, 03:29 PM
the game was average with awesome graphics. Thats the problem with console players-they think good prerelease screenshots mean that the game will rock.

CRAYMAN
02-11-2004, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by xbocks
the game was average with awesome graphics. Thats the problem with console players-they think good prerelease screenshots mean that the game will rock.

This is funny!!! = "Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?"

:rofl:

No Fear 23
02-11-2004, 03:49 PM
looks like i'll be picking this up tomorrow....i need a another fps to change the slow pace of rs3.

i love instagib, running back to the base getting monster kills on agility and killing the person that stole my flag just inches before they score with the flag. good sht :cheers:

Dark Enemy
02-11-2004, 03:49 PM
Theres only one mode and 4 maps WTF

No Fear 23
02-11-2004, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Dark Enemy
Theres only one mode and 4 maps WTF

please define what 'one mode' is. :watchout:

Dark Enemy
02-11-2004, 04:12 PM
"XMP is the name of the multiplayer component in Unreal II, and predictably ends up being the strength of the game. Teamwork, base management and vehicle deployment are the name of this game that can only be played over Xbox Live. You have three different classes of soldier you can use each with unique equipment and special abilities that are well balanced enough that you'll need plenty of people who are good at using all of them. Building temporary forcefields, maintaining generators to keep your team powered and managing spawn points and other battlefield valuables make XMP sophisticated enough for hardcore gamers but still rowdy and exciting enough for more casual players. The only thing that holds this game mode back is the number of players (8) and the number of maps (4) initially available. More maps should be on the way through Xbox Live download but adding more players or even bots probably isn't going to happen. The mode just isn't nearly as fully featured as some other Xbox Live shooters, but what it does offer is well done and a lot of fun. Running around in jeeps and tanks that can carry multiple players will appeal to Xbox gamers who also enjoyed the Tribes series on PC. "

No Fear 23
02-11-2004, 04:30 PM
someone tell me if this game has instagib...if there is no instagib, im gonna skip this game and wait fro splinter cell

Slowride
02-11-2004, 05:05 PM
Thats the problem with console players-they think good prerelease screenshots mean that the game will rock.

:rofl:LOLOL:rofl: :rofl: oh God that was funny.....good job.

l Maximus l
02-11-2004, 05:52 PM

I know of several PC gamers that do the same thing. So, what exactly is your point?

BinaryXtreme
02-11-2004, 07:01 PM
Been playing it all day. Fun game but very unlike Unreal Championship as far as being a fast paced game. Operating the vehicles just sucks in my opinion. You use the left thumbstick to control not only the forward and reverse of the vehicle but also the right and left too but it's not just that but the control is very sluggish. Kinda hard to get used to it but I am getting better. Graphics are very nice. Story has improved a lot as well that actually has kept me interested in the story line which is not like me to like at all. As expected, very few players are on line now but I'm sure more will come as more people buy it. I'm enjoying it so far and got it at Game Stop today for $39.99 and so far I like it but again, it is very different from previous versions of Unreal.

Cryogenic Pyro
02-11-2004, 07:38 PM
I just purchased this game a couple hours ago, and so far what I've played of it, I think it's awesome. I have a few gripes about the controls(Aiming diagonally goes EXTREMELY slow) but that's about it. The player model graphics are pretty good, but the player model textures are mediocre at best. Every other aspect of the graphics are amazingly good, though. I've only played about 30 mins so far, but I have all next week off school, so Live is going to be great :D.

No Fear 23
02-11-2004, 07:41 PM
CAN ANYBODY TELL ME IF IT HAS INSTAGIB????

Kyle Static
02-11-2004, 08:18 PM
I doubt it. If it drops in price I'll probably pick it up. The MP sounds kinda fun, and the graphx looked amazing.

BananaMan
02-11-2004, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by No Fear 23
CAN ANYBODY TELL ME IF IT HAS INSTAGIB????

Instagib?:huh:

No Fear 23
02-11-2004, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by BananaMan

Instagib?:huh:

one shot kills. its a mutant option

BananaMan
02-11-2004, 09:15 PM

one shot kills. its a mutant option

Oh ok.

No Fear 23
02-11-2004, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by BananaMan

Oh ok.

if u played UC, im sure u'll understand. :confused:

Alex Napalm
02-11-2004, 09:31 PM
Singleplayer is useless. Get it out of here.

Personally, I think this is a really kick ass online game. The objective and base management is damn hot. Having to hold the generators to have power to run your base and ever capture the artifacts adds some great tension to the games. The game runs really smoothe too, without any lag or any difficulty getting into a game. I don't even have any problems with the 4 on 4 limits of a non dedicated server. Wish there could be more players in a game, but I'm cool with the 4 on 4. The one thing they must do is release some more maps for it. the 4 they've released with it are all great, but they're really going to need to add some more to help the game's longevity. I really dig this game.

To answer the previous question, there is no instagib. The online plays like Unreal meets Team Fortress Classic.

No Fear 23
02-11-2004, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Alex Napalm
Singleplayer is useless. Get it out of here.

Personally, I think this is a really kick ass online game. The objective and base management is damn hot. Having to hold the generators to have power to run your base and ever capture the artifacts adds some great tension to the games. The game runs really smoothe too, without any lag or any difficulty getting into a game. I don't even have any problems with the 4 on 4 limits of a non dedicated server. Wish there could be more players in a game, but I'm cool with the 4 on 4. The one thing they must do is release some more maps for it. the 4 they've released with it are all great, but they're really going to need to add some more to help the game's longevity. I really dig this game.

To answer the previous question, there is no instagib. The online plays like Unreal meets Team Fortress Classic.

no instagib?? :cuss: :cry:

i guess im gonna have to past this one and wait for splinter cell

thanks

BinaryXtreme
02-11-2004, 10:01 PM
I've been playing this for hours and I think it has great single player play value. The more I play this the more I like it. I finally found a great game on line and it played very well with 6 players. The single player campaign is a lot of fun and seems to be more fast paced then on Live. This game really reminds me of the Unreal pc games when the series first started years back. Getting really used to driving the vehicles as well but I think they should have incorporated Halo's value when driving the vehicles. Just seems awkward still. Well, back to the game.

Happy Gaming!

Cryogenic Pyro
02-11-2004, 11:26 PM

no instagib?? :cuss: :cry:

i guess im gonna have to past this one and wait for splinter cell

thanks
Well why would there be instagib? Unreal and Unreal Tournament are two completely different things. If I recall correctly the first Unreal didn't have any mutators at all. So far I'm happy with the single player, and I haven't been able to play Live without my ping being 500+ yet because of my stupid brother on Kazaa, so I can't really tell how good it is.

Yannie Boy
02-12-2004, 06:49 AM
how about split screen??

ive been hearing all about co-op mode but nothing about split screen

CRAYMAN
02-12-2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Chupacabra
how about split screen??

ive been hearing all about co-op mode but nothing about split screen

Well if it has co-op, it has to have split-screen co-op(with few exceptions).:huh:

No Fear 23
02-12-2004, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Cryogenic Pyro

Well why would there be instagib? Unreal and Unreal Tournament are two completely different things. If I recall correctly the first Unreal didn't have any mutators at all. So far I'm happy with the single player, and I haven't been able to play Live without my ping being 500+ yet because of my stupid brother on Kazaa, so I can't really tell how good it is.

Unreal championship did have mutators. it had gravity, rag doll effects, no adrenaline pills, big head, etc.

Penfold
02-12-2004, 01:59 PM
Today was a Unreal day for me. I went to EBGames and purchased Unreal 2 and also The XBOX Exhibition Demo Disk 4 (the disk contains downloads of Unreal Championship, for those who do not have XBOX Live). I havent played the sequal yet, but will soon as someone else in my family gets done with his daily DOA 3 fix.

The biggest surprise of the day was when I popped in my EX4 disc and it updated my XBOX dashboard for XBOX Live. However, I dont have XL for the time being. I am working on getting it, but the only way to get it in my area is via Insight Broadband and its not cheap at all. Until then, I will be counting on OXM's demo disks and the XBOX Exhibition disks to get the updates.

Conchord
02-12-2004, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Maximus SYN

I know of several PC gamers that do the same thing. So, what exactly is your point?

Test versions can actually be played, betas and alphas and such....they do no test runs on console games to get gamer feedback. they hype their own game up, and no one except company and product testers can ever try it out before release, and are totally shocked when it doesnt score as big with gamers as they hoped.

bigloser
02-12-2004, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Penfold
I havent played the sequal yet, but will soon as someone else in my family gets done with his daily DOA 3 fix.

You do realize Unreal II is not a sequel to Unreal Championship, correct?

Unreal II is the sequel to Unreal, which came out in 1998 on the pc. Unreal II plays nothing like Unreal Championship, it's slower, has vehicles, and is based purely around teamwork.

BinaryXtreme
02-12-2004, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by bigloser

You do realize Unreal II is not a sequel to Unreal Championship, correct?

Unreal II is the sequel to Unreal, which came out in 1998 on the pc. Unreal II plays nothing like Unreal Championship, it's slower, has vehicles, and is based purely around teamwork.

Yes! Absolutely, couldn't have said it better myself. I would really like a sequel to Unreal Championship for the XBOX. Love the faster paced just kill everybody play.

bigloser
02-12-2004, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by BinaryXtreme

Yes! Absolutely, couldn't have said it better myself. I would really like a sequel to Unreal Championship for the XBOX. Love the faster paced just kill everybody play.

The demo for it is already out, it's called Unreal Tournament 2k4. :D

Cryogenic Pyro
02-12-2004, 04:08 PM

Unreal Tournament 2004 is the sequel to 2003, not Championship.

No Fear 23, the reason Unreal Championship had mutators and stuff was because it was based on Unreal Tournament.

Yannie Boy
02-12-2004, 04:15 PM
ok........ can someone with the game tell me if there is or is not a split screen multi option?????

CRAYMAN
02-12-2004, 04:30 PM
ok........ can someone with the game tell me if there is or is not a split screen multi option?????

I thought I did answer you, when I posted = Well if it has co-op, it has to have split-screen co-op(with few exceptions).

Anyways, YES, there is a...how did you put it?..."split screen multi option!"

How's that?:eek:

Conchord
02-12-2004, 04:53 PM

2004 is a sequel to UT2003 for PC...its coming out for xbox???

I thought Unreal Warfare was the sequel to the console franchise....

Ill look it up.

Cryogenic Pyro
02-12-2004, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by CRAYMAN

I thought I did answer you, when I posted = Well if it has co-op, it has to have split-screen co-op(with few exceptions).

Anyways, YES, there is a...how did you put it?..."split screen multi option!"

How's that?:eek:
That's co-operative. Not split screen. Split screen is a match between 2-4 players on the Xbox, and no there is no such feature in this game.

Yannie Boy
02-12-2004, 05:05 PM
so CRAYMAN in a way guess you didn't.. so i guess there isn't a...how did you put it?..."split screen multi option!"

so Pyro... there's a co-op but no split screen??? there's system link tho right??? if there's no split im assuming that it's one player per box??? am i right so far???

now.... ive heard there's only two vehicles??? is there any more??

CRAYMAN
02-12-2004, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Cryogenic Pyro

That's co-operative. Not split screen. Split screen is a match between 2-4 players on the Xbox, and no there is no such feature in this game.

Not so...Split screen, is SPLIT SCREEN. It may only be co-op split screen, but it's still split screen.

There is a difference in adversarial split screen and co-op split screen.

In fact, on the back of the box, it reads "split-screen co-op":p

bigloser
02-12-2004, 05:45 PM

Ill look it up.

I know it is, and no it's not coming out for the xbox. I've been playing the unt2k4 demo for the pc, it's great. The vehicles, and new game types are great.

Cryogenic Pyro
02-12-2004, 07:39 PM
so CRAYMAN in a way guess you didn't.. so i guess there isn't a...how did you put it?..."split screen multi option!"

so Pyro... there's a co-op but no split screen??? there's system link tho right??? if there's no split im assuming that it's one player per box??? am i right so far???

now.... ive heard there's only two vehicles??? is there any more??
I'm not sure about how many vehicles there are, I only played online for about 5 minutes so far. Yes, there is co-op, but no split-screen deathmatches. There is system link, also. I'm pretty sure you play co-op on the same Xbox, although I haven't played co-op yet.

themoosearmy
02-12-2004, 10:48 PM
Well, is Unreal (or Unreal 2) anything like Unreal Tournament, because I hated it.

Cryogenic Pyro
02-12-2004, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by themoosearmy
Well, is Unreal (or Unreal 2) anything like Unreal Tournament, because I hated it.
No. It's a lot slower paced, and the online play has the styling of Team Fortress Classic.

Heavens Gate
02-13-2004, 09:44 AM
i bought the game yesterday. I stumbled across it at Toys R Us. I really love it but one thing first. Tweak the Contrast, Gamma and brightness controls and turn the look sessitivity both up and down up one notch apiece. I didn't think the graphics were really good until I tweaked the Gamma, brightness and contrast. After about 2 minutes with that the game looks super sharp. It's mission based like HALO and reminds me alot of it. I just wish I knew how long the single player campaigne is. It better be long enough to warrant a purchase. Overall, I can't wait to get on it again. I'm in Hell now so I don't know If I'm very far into the game. Someone please let me know? Thanks

Duke
02-13-2004, 10:43 AM
From what I've heard so far, this is worth a rent, but not much more.

Since I'm not much of an Unreal fan anyway, it doesn't surprise me. But it sounds like while there is plenty of good, it's balanced by bad things that just kind of kill it for me.

Just don't need a live game I won't be tempted to touch often.

BinaryXtreme
02-13-2004, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by DukeBuckhorn
From what I've heard so far, this is worth a rent, but not much more.

Since I'm not much of an Unreal fan anyway, it doesn't surprise me. But it sounds like while there is plenty of good, it's balanced by bad things that just kind of kill it for me.

Just don't need a live game I won't be tempted to touch often.

Not so, this is a great game. Looking at the posts, I really can't see why you say that. This is a great game and the more I play it, the more addicted I get. The only gripe I have so far is that not many people are playing on Live but like any new release, those numbers are sure to pick up. I think if you rent it first, you'll want to buy it.

Duke
02-13-2004, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by BinaryXtreme

Not so, this is a great game. Looking at the posts, I really can't see why you say that. This is a great game and the more I play it, the more addicted I get. The only gripe I have so far is that not many people are playing on Live but like any new release, those numbers are sure to pick up. I think if you rent it first, you'll want to buy it.

Should have clarified. Coming w/ friends who have similar tastes as I do. Not from the posts in this thread.

Still I'm giving it a rent, who knows, it just might grab me.

BinaryXtreme
02-13-2004, 01:02 PM
Yeah....I love the series though so it was a no brainer for me. Rent it and post if you like it or not. I'm always interested in other gamers opinions.

Happy Gaming :D

Stormlord
02-13-2004, 07:03 PM

Ill look it up.

That's the name for the engine and kind of the code name for TFC type game. I think Unreal Warfare will make it to PC first and maybe the next Xbox. Hopefully at E3 we can get a look at this game and Quake IV.

Cryogenic Pyro
02-13-2004, 10:49 PM
I just finished the single player campaign of this game, and I must say, it was very short. With that all said and done, in my opinion the storyline was amazingly well thought out, and the ending leaves you wonder. Do I smell a sequel? I sure do!

mattgame
02-14-2004, 02:05 PM
Pyro how long was it? I have but I haven't even taken it out of the shrink wrap.:)

Cryogenic Pyro
02-14-2004, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by t_howell
Pyro how long was it? I have but I haven't even taken it out of the shrink wrap.:)
I didn't exactly time it, but playing it a fair bit it took me about 2 days to beat, so I'd say something around 5 hours.

The online play is really hit or miss with each person. I think it's awesome, but others think it's mediocre.

mattgame
02-14-2004, 04:49 PM
I think the game looks great. It's not Halo but what is. I'll be gettin' my game on tonight.:cheers:

Cryogenic Pyro
02-14-2004, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by t_howell
I think the game looks great. It's not Halo but what is. I'll be gettin' my game on tonight.:cheers:
Right on. Add me to your friends list if you have Live, and are planning on playing on it.

ghost 009
02-15-2004, 04:43 PM
Unreal Championship sucked. I bought it on the pc version but I was looking for Unreal tournament. I couldn't find it. I don't even know how you could compare UC with UT. I think I might like this one though.

PapaSKooT
02-15-2004, 08:56 PM
WARNING!

If you are looking for UC 2, This is not your game!

Personally, I think it is great. There is, IMO, a STEEP online learning curve. STEEP. My only other gripe is the very frequent dropped games online.

AloneInTheDark
02-15-2004, 10:22 PM
Well I went on live today and like 5/8 people on my list were laying it, maybe I'll wait till I get paid and snag it. :cheers:

Cryogenic Pyro
02-15-2004, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by AloneInTheDark
Well I went on live today and like 5/8 people on my list were laying it, maybe I'll wait till I get paid and snag it. :cheers:
I believe you should do that. I also believe you should add me to your friends list after that.

BinaryXtreme
02-16-2004, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by Butterz
Unreal Championship sucked. I bought it on the pc version but I was looking for Unreal tournament. I couldn't find it. I don't even know how you could compare UC with UT. I think I might like this one though.

I think Unreal Championship for the XBOX is my favorite game. I love the fast pace and the graphics look great. It's the only game I play all the time and have never gotten' tired of. I can't see why anyone wouldn't like that game. It rules.

Penfold
02-16-2004, 10:48 PM
I have had some time with Unreal 2 and I am impressed almost as much as I did with Unreal Championship. However, I have a gripe with the look of the aliens. Did the makers of Unreal 2 decide to totally rip off Doom on this one?