PDA

View Full Version : Gotta question...

Vash
02-11-2004, 04:30 PM
ok, I want to participate in the online halo environment. I need some advice on what hub and router to buy. Or, can you play with just a router?

JJaX
02-11-2004, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Vash
ok, I want to participate in the online halo environment. I need some advice on what hub and router to buy. Or, can you play with just a router?
Id recommend a router, it distributes the bandwidth evenly. And thats something you want, being halo online requires tunnel software running off your PC.

Here is the software you need

http://www.xbconnect.com/downloads.php

l Maximus l
02-11-2004, 05:49 PM
JJaX said that so elequently...nice work, dewd...

A router is the best solution, however, it costs the most...a HUB or Switch will do, also, however, a switch is better than a HUB and will also distribute bandwidth much better.

Go with a router if the cost isn't much of an issue. I use the Microsoft Wired Based Router: MN-100. It's plug in and play...good stuff :)

Vash
02-11-2004, 06:43 PM
oh, thanks for the help, I heard that you can only host with a hub and when you host it doesn't lag; but when you don't host it lags a little. Is that true?

Chaotic
02-11-2004, 08:23 PM
oh, thanks for the help, I heard that you can only host with a hub and when you host it doesn't lag; but when you don't host it lags a little. Is that true?

Hubs/Routers/Switches are all capable of hosting.

JJaX
02-11-2004, 08:28 PM

The host has ZERO latency. Its so unfair, its sick...

BananaMan
02-11-2004, 08:54 PM
Alright i don't know much about routers and hubs and all that jazz, but when xbox live first come out i go to my local computer store(log on or sumthing like that). They sell me a router and says yeah it'll work perfect with it. I get home, and it only has two slots on the back. WTF? I wanna do computer on and xbox at the sametime, so how can you do it? I couldn't figure it out.(Not good with networking junk). So i go the next day and ask her, she says oh you'll need a hub. So wtf? Can you buy routers that have like three slots? because i have mine setup like this: Cable modem into router,router into hub, hub into xbox and pc. Is there a router where you can plug in cable modem, xbox and pc?:watchout: :huh:

^APEX^5StarDiva
02-11-2004, 09:06 PM
A router is a great thing to have if you are a big gamer. My husband and I are and we love our router becuase he can be on the Xbox and I can be on the computer at the sametime or vice versa. Our router has 4 slots. Best to look for one like that.

BananaMan
02-11-2004, 09:08 PM
yeah but see this computer lady or whatever sold me this saying it'd work, kinda pissed me off. but that was a year ago. oh well.

^APEX^5StarDiva
02-11-2004, 09:42 PM
try like walmart or some place like that.

BananaMan
02-11-2004, 09:43 PM
Nah, my router and all that shiz i had to buy was like 150 bucks, so forget it now. It's like a lynksys or suttin.

l Maximus l
02-12-2004, 01:25 AM
Bananaman...I have no idea what that chick was talking about who sold you the router.... I have the Microsoft MN-100 Wired Based Router....it has four slots. Cable modem into Router, from router to XBox and from router to computer. It's that simple. I think the HUB in addition to the router could cause problems if you are hooking up to XBox Live because there are a lot of hubs (if not, all of them), and several switches that won't work. A router is the best way to go...and make sure that it is XBox Live compatible (it will have a XBox Live logo on the box). Or you could simply go to XBox.com to see known routers that work perfectly.