PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 2 discussion

Pages : [1] 2

Crazy Joe
02-01-2004, 03:50 PM
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/business/7849191.htm

this doesn't bode well, MS should be taking initiative instead of following Sony's lead

Servo
02-01-2004, 03:55 PM
I heard that when thay do release they will two versions. One with a hardrive and another without.

Yankeez
02-01-2004, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Servo
I heard that when thay do release they will two versions. One with a hardrive and another without.

ahhhh never say "I heard" in the forums its just leads to flaming...

omg....i hear them coming....

RUN!

:watchout:

XboxTJ
02-01-2004, 04:57 PM
LMAO!

Microsoft will never be that stupid not to have a hard disk drive, that is one of the reasons Xbox has been called better than PS2 because you don't need all those stupid memory cards. Microsoft will have a hard disk drive, i have no doubt.

lotec16
02-01-2004, 05:23 PM
3 g5's inside of it, that is INSANE! I sure hope they have 512 of ram, it would make me happier.

shapoopy
02-01-2004, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Servo

what noob?? what did you say?? YOU heard something well........

http://www.cc.jyu.fi/~selindgr/misc/noob.jpg

jk

George89
02-01-2004, 05:31 PM
If XBOX 2 is supposed to be more advanced than XBOX 1, why would they take away XBOX 1's good features?

SPARTAN VI
02-01-2004, 05:34 PM
Heh, I could almost care less. By 2005 I'll be in college, with a job, and with a gaming PC. If I have any spare cash, I might trade it for an Xbox and a PS3. :D

Justus
02-01-2004, 05:51 PM
If Microsoft doesn't put a HD and make old Xbox games compatible I would have no qualms with choosing the superior system, be it PS3, Xbox Next or Gamecube 2 (If there is one). The hard drive was the number one reason I bought an Xbox to start with.

Please don't make this mistake MS.

wbio
02-01-2004, 09:47 PM
I sure hope that it has a HDD, I hate memory cards, and unless they're about $20, and they hold a few GBs, they are going to suck still. Though I'm not sure I believe this, because I think MS is trying to be the center of your living room, and that means lots of multimedia features, which means you need a HDD, just wait until E3, I'm sure MS will officially announce some stuff.

Lucifer_Hawk
02-02-2004, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by shapoopy

jk LMFAO
:rofl: :rofl:
I think it is a smart decision by MS to use the memory card, saves alot of cash. But, I hope they stillr elease two versions, I use my hard drive alot, I save music, save all my games and my Live data, and I think its alot more convienent. Thats just my opinion.

BTW: I was at Best Buy buying some music cd's and I saw these two guys right. One had just bought an xbox, the other had just bought a ps2. And they were hella yelling at eachother and ogt in a fist fight and securtity was breaking em up and stuff. I doubt it was over the consoles, but I thought it looked hilarious.

ghost 009
02-02-2004, 01:26 AM

jk

That picture is disturbing.

Reclaimer
02-02-2004, 07:13 AM
It's too early to speculate, especially based on "rumors". There was a lot of attention from MS about the next Xbox being the all in one home entertainment unit. Not only that, but to stay current and allow for flexiability from content providers and users, a hard drive must be used. Without it, say good bye to custom soundtracks, update over web patches for games, pretty much all downloadable content in general. Also might as well forget about playing Xbox 1 games, like Halo or KOTOR or any such "classics" that use the hard drive. I think games use the hard drive more than what that article states.
It would be a serious mistake to not include a hard drive. It doesn't make sense, unless they intend to make a seperate hard drive and sell it as extra. I hope they don't do that, because that will be a good indication that even fewer games would support the HD than before. There would be a small portion of games then that would require a HD to play, then the gamer would have to buy that and the game, and probably run them about 100 bucks for the experience.
MS always looks to the future, and if they want to remain viable in the home entertainment industry, then a hard drive would be key to all things.
Backward compatability is another issue. MS will disenfranchise a huge part of it's fan base if they made it unable to play X1 games. In part, people would be less willing to ugrade considering the X1 has so much life left in it, and such a big game library by then. That means MS' profits would have to come from brand new buyers, other console converts, and only the most devoted MS fans. I for one know that if I can't play the games I have now, I don't want to throw them away. I might as well forget about getting the X2 and just hold on to X1.

levelzero
02-02-2004, 08:06 AM
Most of this article is pure conjecture. I put no stock in the "no hard drive" comments. Microsoft is planning on making the Xbox their portal into the living room. It would be suicide to make the next console un-compatible with current games and produce the unit with no hard drive. The idea that there will be two versions is very hard to shallow as well. Marketing guys typically want to make the purchase decision VERY easier for consumers. I just don't see this happening.

It is as simple as this, no hard drive / no compatibility with current games = no purchase from me.

XboxTJ
02-02-2004, 10:46 AM

jk

Actually, sorry dude but it isn't hearing, i didn't hear anything. I read an Xbox article saying that so BOO YA, look who knows everything, hehehe ;)

mattgame
02-02-2004, 10:55 AM
There usually is truth to every rumor. My guess is they must have considered it and will respond to public opinion. I hope they hear us, no hard drive means MS loses. End of story.

Crazy Joe
02-02-2004, 12:22 PM
well it seems from the article that they are getting the information from preliminary specs given to developers about Xbox 2, it could be possible MS is telling devs not to assume a HD in the system.

wbio
02-02-2004, 06:50 PM
I think that most gamers would be willing to pay the extra $50 for a hard drive, because that means a lot of things, not just saving games, it would allow for a lot more flexibility, and without it, it's just a game system with no other features. I am still predicting it will have a HDD, I don't think MS would make the mistake not to have one.

DocHoliday78
02-02-2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by XboxTJ

Actually, sorry dude but it isn't hearing, i didn't hear anything. I read an Xbox article saying that so BOO YA, look who knows everything, hehehe ;) Then give the source

RichVGS
02-02-2004, 07:57 PM
Let me just say this...don't believe anything you hear about the next Xbox. Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft are in the building stages of the new systems and changes can be made to the design for quite some time ahead. With that said, each company will begin floating false rumors about their systems to give the competition a false sense of what is coming, so when the true systems hit, no one will have a major edge (unless they release very late). At this stage, I wouldn't believe anything I hear about the next Xbox, even if it comes direct from Microsoft. Let's just chill and not get so upset over rumors, because they are nothing but rumors.

TuffEagle88
02-02-2004, 09:22 PM
I think that that article is a bunch of bs and an example of propaganda being produced by the anti-microsoft unholy alliance, or the AMUA as they prefer to be called. This article is just 1 example of how this unholy alliance made up of PoS2 fanboys and covenant forces are working to flood the minds of xboxaddicts with all sorts of nonsense and cause the xbox2 to lose support before it even hits the shelves. Its all a huge conspiracy. Just think about it, the next nintendo product will likely not be too big of a threat to the ps3, so with the xbox's following disunified, that lets sony continue to dominate the console industry. And you may ask how the covenant tie into this, well if there aren't any more Halo games after Halo2 they will be forgotten and when they really do invade Earth, we will be defenseless because people had grown tired of playing Halo and Halo2 after 5 years and have forgotten their combat skills.

Just think about it... Its all a massive conspiracy plot to let sony rule the console industry and then allow for the covenant to crush the human race once and for all. :watchout: Don't say I didn't warn you.

nG-Punisher
02-02-2004, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Rich-XBA
Let me just say this...don't believe anything you hear about the next Xbox. Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft are in the building stages of the new systems and changes can be made to the design for quite some time ahead. With that said, each company will begin floating false rumors about their systems to give the competition a false sense of what is coming, so when the true systems hit, no one will have a major edge (unless they release very late). At this stage, I wouldn't believe anything I hear about the next Xbox, even if it comes direct from Microsoft. Let's just chill and not get so upset over rumors, because they are nothing but rumors.

What he said

Blackpanthour
02-02-2004, 10:33 PM
ummm ya... I found this through gamespot.com. and i like th whole making a cheaper system wit cheaper parts, but i never thought that they would be taking out so many things to get that cheaper price. and i dun like the fact that XB next is waiting on PS2 info, to make their next box. that gives me the felling that they jus want to copy PS2, but nehow you read it and give me your opinions. Xbox Next outlook (http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/business/7849191.htm)

Dr_J
02-02-2004, 10:57 PM
Some of you people are freakin' stupid.

Do you believe everything you read online?

Hero
02-02-2004, 11:01 PM
xbox is smart to wait IMO becuase they might make the same mistake that dreamcast did. they got thier product out first then sony came out with a much better system and that was the end of sega hardware.

if they wait..and sony puts a harddrive in then xbox will have no choice but to add one aswell.

or at least they should give us the option of adding our own harddrive to teh next xbox.

themoosearmy
02-02-2004, 11:47 PM
MS would never make the next XBOX without the HDD, but then again, this console is about 1.5-2 years (potentially) from release and they are still in the design phase. They may remove the HDD, but then again they might be able to make games that take up less memory and/or have much higher capacity mem cards.

As for articles online, unless its from a major news source (wtf MercuryNews.com ??), I don't believe it.

Slowride
02-03-2004, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by SPARTAN VI
Heh, I could almost care less. By 2005 I'll be in college, with a job, and with a gaming PC. If I have any spare cash, I might trade it for an Xbox and a PS3. :D

aaahhhh to be 18 again.....oh wait being 18 sucked. jk man enjoy it before it's over.

anm8rjp
02-03-2004, 10:52 AM
Why not continue to put an 8GB drive in the next Xbox...
We all have an 8GB drive and I bet less than 5% of users have even filled up up halfway and if you have it must be with music. They could use the same model as the one we have currently.

Now, they should make an upgrade option. Similar to Xbox Music Mixer. For maybe around a price of $100 USD, you could purchase a "kit" that would include a 120 GB drive, slide it in, it would come with a disc that would upgrade or flash your system to give you advanced music ripping, pc file tranfer sharing, and PVR functionality. So the cost wouldn't increase the system unless you wanted advanced PVR functions.

I think the current 8GB drive would be plenty for 90% of users in the next Xbox. For those other 10% you could upgrade...

Just an idea... and just my opinions

J Dub
02-03-2004, 01:23 PM
I think this is a bad idea. The hard drive is extremely important for the operation of the XBox. If you look at Sony, even, they have a hard drive for the PS2 now. So I think Sony will have a hard drive in the PS3 as well. MS should re-think this.

levelzero
02-03-2004, 01:28 PM
I love internet rumors. Hey, I hear Apple is going to make a smaller Ipod......and it is only going to cost $99 bucks........

and we all know how that turned out.

Peepers
02-03-2004, 02:31 PM
BS. Half the Xbox games on the market right now have to use the HD because the game saves are too big for memory cards. KOTOR, Morrowind GOTY, most other RPG's and some sports games.

Plus, without a HD, all the money for Xbox live went down the toilet. It will have a HD, if for no other reason than that the PS3 willl have one.

mattgame
02-03-2004, 04:16 PM
Once again Peepers surfaces with the calm post of reason: the inly other thing I see is that they make it so we have to buy it seperately like the Ps2. However, I believe the PS3 is going to have it so they better because I am going with the system that has it. :D

l Maximus l
02-03-2004, 05:15 PM
MS never goes backwards...expect the next XBox to be what the current XBox is but on steroids.

Brutus
02-04-2004, 09:19 AM
Think about it. in two years they'll have another processor that will blow away the current G4's.

Microsoft knows what they're doing. THe Xbox next is more than likely going to be coming out in late '05 and how often do you guys trade in your gaming PC's? I mean, the Xbox is great, but it's already showing it's age with the differences between Invisible war: PC / Xbox. You know!?

As far as the hard drive goes. I believe they'll include it. Bungie would make a fit if not. And also all of us. But we'd pay more for one anyway. In Nonvember of '05, they'll blow us away with the goods! hahahaha!

blackiee2002
02-04-2004, 11:11 AM
I seriously believed that they are considering not putting an Hd in the xenon because of costs and other stuff. but to risk not having it would be plain stupid. even if the released two versions, one with and one without, would that mean developers must develop for two different types of specs, one with hd and one without? i don't think so, developers have a lot on thier hands to begin with.

However too, they want money, an can't stand to lose so much so my thoughts are that, it will be a combination of the two, expect them to have an Hd preferable a low amount equal or less to the current xbox and have upgrades where you can buy and add bigger hd's to it.

That will sovle everyone's problem. reduce costs and we get what we want. that is the optimum solution i believe we can have between they and us:cheers:

Crazy Joe
02-04-2004, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Blackpanthour
ummm ya... I found this through gamespot.com. and i like th whole making a cheaper system wit cheaper parts, but i never thought that they would be taking out so many things to get that cheaper price. and i dun like the fact that XB next is waiting on PS2 info, to make their next box. that gives me the felling that they jus want to copy PS2, but nehow you read it and give me your opinions. Xbox Next outlook (http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/business/7849191.htm)

i don't think i've ever seen this before, someone commenting on a thread that is about an article and posting a link to the SAME article that is in the first post. weird.

Viper87227
02-04-2004, 04:12 PM
If MS doesnt include I hard drive in the next xbox I am creating a MyDoom-C....MUAHAHAHAHHAHAH! :watchout:

CRAYMAN
02-04-2004, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by t_howell
There usually is truth to every rumor... .

No kidding, I heard someone say that you don't know what you're talking about.:p

Blackpanthour
02-05-2004, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by Crazy Joe

i don't think i've ever seen this before, someone commenting on a thread that is about an article and posting a link to the SAME article that is in the first post. weird.

I didn't post my post here, i started a new post called Xbox next, and i guess xb addict jus put me in this post. but i did start a new thred. so dun think of me as being stupid cuz i neva inteded to put it in this post.

and by the way i dun belive nething in that news post thing, cuz between now and late 05, XB would prop change things, and new and better tech would be out, and they would have a lot of time to think about it. so i dun belive nething, not the good, not the bad, not the nething

Casper
02-05-2004, 09:18 AM

I merged his thread into here :)

Blackpanthour
02-05-2004, 08:47 PM
ya i thought so

enigma
02-06-2004, 09:17 AM
i hate the idea of 2 different versions of console i hope they dont do tht. i think tht even the idea of a detachable and upgradable HDD would be better than non, altho i wud like to c a permanent HDD.

Crazy Joe
02-06-2004, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by enigma
i hate the idea of 2 different versions of console i hope they dont do tht. i think tht even the idea of a detachable and upgradable HDD would be better than non, altho i wud like to c a permanent HDD.

ya, that's no good, developers wouldn't be able to count on the hard drive for caching. I can't honestly forsee and Xbox without a HD, but i admit, this stuff has me a little worried.

mattgame
02-06-2004, 11:22 AM

ya, that's no good, developers wouldn't be able to count on the hard drive for caching. I can't honestly forsee and Xbox without a HD, but i admit, this stuff has me a little worried.

It has me a lot worried. I actually have hit a lull in my gaming activities because I am getting bored with what's out now. I can't wait for the next one and all of these rumors has me shook. I can't wait until E3 clears this up.

Blackpanthour
02-06-2004, 04:15 PM
well dun belive nething until XB2 comes out cuz a lot can happen bettween now and '05, plus XB could jus be messing around wit the other console companies plans in makin a new console. so dun belive nething untill it comes out in E3, even then i won't belive it till i see it

P.S.

Microsoft is smarter then dat not to be backwards, and not to have a hard drive, and not have a DVD playablity. i understand they wanna be cheaper but those 3 qualities are wat make the XB wat it is

-Calle
02-08-2004, 04:19 PM
Microsoft may be realeasing Xbox 2 this year. I'm really mad!

-
Less games for Xbox 1:cuss:

+
Cheaper games:D

what do you think? good bad?
anything else minus or plus?

Duke
02-08-2004, 04:24 PM
I think you smoke Crack.

I think that is bad.

- you're wrong
+ i'm right.

-Calle
02-08-2004, 04:29 PM
Well i heard it!
It will be runned by three IBM 64-bit proccesors and xbox 1 games won't work on xbox 2.....
there will be no hardisk....microsoft is not allowed....
this may not be true but a swedish play show (gameplay) have talked with microsoft and that is what they said....
by the way......ps3<----sux) comes in 2006

LiquidX
02-08-2004, 04:36 PM
Its sad... some people believe whatever they read on the internet. There is NO REAL info on the next Xbox. There is no way they will release it this year. Halo 2 is coming out this fall. Why would they release their BIGGEST game a couple months before they release the next Xbox? That would be THE dumbest move ever. And they wouldnt release it this early because that would give Sony too much time to make the PS3 better... Some people are just idiots.

MikeMan91389
02-08-2004, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by LiquidX
Its sad... some people believe whatever they read on the internet. There is NO REAL info on the next Xbox. There is no way they will release it this year. Halo 2 is coming out this fall. Why would they release their BIGGEST game a couple months before they release the next Xbox? That would be THE dumbest move ever. And they wouldnt release it this early because that would give Sony too much time to make the PS3 better... Some people are just idiots.

Like Him? Wow, none of that if confirmed, or even slightly true... If xbox2 had no harddrive i wouldnt buy it.... flat out ,, hes full of chit

-Calle
02-08-2004, 04:41 PM
hey i also belive that it would be a very dumb move to realease xbox 2 this year ! i never said that i belived it!
Xbox is a very good console the best out now... and it crushes computers..... btw 110 days until halo 2 comes!

LiquidX
02-08-2004, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by -Calle
hey i also belive that it would be a very dumb move to realease xbox 2 this year ! i never said that i belived it!
Xbox is a very good console the best out now... and it crushes computers..... btw 110 days until halo 2 comes!

1. Top of the line PC's kill Xbox

2. There is no date for H2... just a timefame... and a large one at that... Bungie has said FALL thats it FALL.

MikeMan91389
02-08-2004, 04:44 PM
XBOX doesnt crush computers mang.. Even though i like xbox more than pc gaming... i gota admit, pc can do more.... f00zer and how do u no 110 days? did they set a date? i thought it was just "fall" and in that case, 3 more seasons till halo 2!!!!

-Calle
02-08-2004, 04:44 PM
just read!:

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/488/488949p1.html

-Calle
02-08-2004, 04:47 PM
becuz the game shop GAME in sweden is getting it in 110 days!

LiquidX
02-08-2004, 04:49 PM
Over the next two (or more) years, speculation is going to be rampant. With each passing month, new rumors will circulate, new facts will emerge, and plenty of journalist's will bear false witness.

From IGN... RUMORS all RUMORS! Nobody knows but MS... and they probably arent 100% sure on whats going on with Xbox next.

Oh yeah... Electronics Boutique in the US said theyd have it in March a few months ago... Now bungie says fall... ONLY GET YOUR NEWS FROM OFFICIAL SOURCES A.K.A. BUNGIE AND MICROSOFT!

BCan
02-08-2004, 04:59 PM
Don't expect MS to continually change specs of the XB2. They will need to give it to developers very soon so they can have launch titles ready....

I hope they try to lead, rather than try to follow. It may take yet another console, X3 against the PS4 before MS is on even footing with Sony..

Salmonaitor
02-08-2004, 05:03 PM
I don't believe it, but I don't necessarily think it's bad. If X2 came out along with Halo 2, we'd be guaranteed Halo2 compatability with X2..."and that's a good thing". :)

BinaryXtreme
02-08-2004, 05:29 PM
just read!:

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/488/488949p1.html

I think you need to read the article too and understand it. If you read it, it clearly states just the opposite of what your whole post says.

E Nomini Patri
02-08-2004, 06:08 PM
ONLY GET YOUR NEWS FROM OFFICIAL SOURCES A.K.A. BUNGIE AND MICROSOFT!

Bungie is the ONLY official source.

Microsoft doesn't know the date before Bungie.

LiquidX
02-08-2004, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Zero Flaw

Bungie is the ONLY official source.

Microsoft doesn't know the date before Bungie.

By Microsoft I meant all the Xbox 2 stuff he was talking about.

DIGITAL
02-08-2004, 07:40 PM
Microsoft may be realeasing Xbox 2 this year. I'm really mad!

-
Less games for Xbox 1:cuss:

+
Cheaper games:D

what do you think? good bad?
anything else minus or plus? welcome to xbox addict an i think itwould be bad if xbox 2 came out soon ,i think maybe xmas 2005 but that still might be 2 soon

l Maximus l
02-09-2004, 12:43 AM
For all I care, XBox 2 can come out tomorrow and I'd still buy it, hands down!

Penfold
02-09-2004, 12:28 PM
None of the rumors concern me at all. Why? Well.....there is only one system I plan on getting when it comes out and its the XBOX Next. This means the following:

1)I will keep the XBOX alongside with the XBOX Next. My PS2 is hardly getting any play anyways, so that gets put in the closet again.

2)No system upgrades for Sony and Nintendo in my house since I have sold my GameCube. Desk space restrictions have made having three systems on the same desk a impossibility for me. So, Sony.....take a hike.

Uchiha Sasuke
02-09-2004, 01:33 PM
I find this funny on how they say if Sony has more ram there going to put it more.

The machine also will have about 256 megabytes of dynamic random access memory. But Microsoft will upgrade that to 512 megabytes if Sony puts in more. The previous Xbox had 64 megabytes. And lastly, it isn't clear if Microsoft will include the current DVD video technology or Blu-Ray, its successor. Blu-Ray will hold much more data, but it's unclear when it will be ready for market.

Sounds to me that MS is basically going to let Sony build there console. Plus not having an HD or Backward compatibility is very bad. I know Sony's next console will have both.

Xebec
02-09-2004, 02:41 PM
This is just speculation on my part, but I can see Microsoft not having a hard drive and not making the next XBox backwards compatible for no other reason than to thwart XBox modders and their pirating of games. I think Microsoft has egg on their face when it was found to be relatively easy to mod their system and play copied games and store them to the hard drive. Not only that, I think one of the major reasons Microsoft is moving away from Intel main processor to an IBM (similar to the Macintosh processor) main processor is to slow down the hacking & pirating going on.

blackiee2002
02-10-2004, 03:49 PM
they were even thinking about building the next system in such a way that you could play X2 games on Xbox. don't even know if that is a good idea

Blackpanthour
02-10-2004, 04:09 PM
Ya i think fable will out run Halo2. mind u i didn't really like the first one either, (single player mode. the multiplayer mode wuz sick) because it wuz, in my opinion, repetive. but ya about MS, if they dun put in a HD and be BWC or even an DVD, their gonna lose a lot of sales, cuz PS3 will be BWC and it will have a DVD. and u need the HD to dl stuff from XB Live.(unless u wanna buy like a memory card for each of ur games) so if they dun then i dunno if im gonna get XB Next

Olaf the Proud
02-10-2004, 04:50 PM
if you don't like it take action.

http://www.petitiononline.com/xboxolaf/petition.html
sign real names
also write them letters

Blackpanthour
02-11-2004, 04:26 PM
yo olaf my bad bout bad mouthin u, but wat u said at the bottem i couldn't really make it out, and ya so i started bashing u for no reason. but nehow (and no that *** ass spartan VI guy didn't make me say it, hes a fukin ass who has no life and is a big time nerd) but nehow my bad bout the whole thing.

I think there wuz another XB petition to allow for backwards capablity

lloobatmanooll
02-11-2004, 06:40 PM
1st off I bought the xbox because, of its hd a feature that i believe all systems must have enough with the frigggn memory cards or mu's if xbox cuts that out there goes there sales.

2nd if they dont make there systems to allow us to use our old games to x2 wats the hole ::beeeeep:: deal...

in my opinion it seems that they are trying to please there pockets come on bill u have enough for the love of god think of ur gamerz! we want faster rams more graphics u have the money i did not stand outside of time square for 9 friggggggn hours for u to be a sell out along with my brothers on this site.... we neeed u to stop ps and there stupid add on this add on that and buy there ff series and any other vain that keeps there heart pumping and cut it.... who here agrees with me???:cuss:

lloobatmanooll
02-11-2004, 06:54 PM
with the recent upset with microsoft announcing there new yet stupid campaign on x2 and leave out the hd,dvd,ability to play x1 gamez on it and a ram speed lower than 500 would u boycott xbox or wouldnt u.

Slowride
02-11-2004, 06:57 PM
I boycott YOU

lloobatmanooll
02-11-2004, 07:01 PM
man if u have nothing smart to contribute get the :cuss: out of here.

BinaryXtreme
02-11-2004, 07:05 PM
If these are facts about the next XBOX I hate to say it but I will not buy it. Shame that they seem to be intent on destroying a great gaming console. Really upsets me that they just aren't listening to the users. :(

Shadow20002
02-11-2004, 07:05 PM
Discussion is permit but not cussing.

lotec16
02-11-2004, 07:16 PM
Don't count all those things out, wait to see what sony brings to the table. If sony has a HD I would be 95% sure xbox2 would have one too.

If the x2 needs more ram to compete with pos3 then x2 would get more ram.

Microsoft isn't stupid, they will have a competitive product.

I will most likely buy an x2, if halo 3 is on x2 I will definetly buy an x2(presuming I love h2 as much has h:ce)

Chaotic
02-11-2004, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by lloobatmanooll
with the recent upset with microsoft announcing there new yet stupid campaign on x2 and leave out the hd,dvd,ability to play x1 gamez on it and a ram speed lower than 500 would u boycott xbox or wouldnt u.

Let's not jump to conclusions with all the rumors floating around lately. I'm sure we will be either very happy or very disappointed in Microsoft's decision come E3 only a few months away.

BananaMan
02-11-2004, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by lotec16
Don't count all those things out, wait to see what sony brings to the table. If sony has a HD I would be 95% sure xbox2 would have one too.

If the x2 needs more ram to compete with pos3 then x2 would get more ram.

Microsoft isn't stupid, they will have a competitive product.

I will most likely buy an x2, if halo 3 is on x2 I will definetly buy an x2(presuming I love h2 as much has h:ce)

I heard no Halo 3. They're stopping with Halo 2, right? :eek:

CharlieHustle
02-11-2004, 09:26 PM
as i and many other people said before, i dont believe that MS will scrap the HD. I know that MS listen to us and other sites for ideas and our inputs. But, this site, gamespy.com has an article for the 10 reasons the hard drive is necessary for the Xbox Next. heres the link.. www.gamespy.com/top10/february04/xbox/ (http://www.gamespy.com/top10/february04/xbox/)

BananaMan
02-11-2004, 09:27 PM
yeah i got that earlier today in the gamespy news letter.

E Nomini Patri
02-11-2004, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by BananaMan

I heard no Halo 3. They're stopping with Halo 2, right? :eek:

We'll find out after Halo 2 if Bungie decides to continue the story.

Umm...batman...Microsoft hasn't confirmed that stuff yet so don't start complaining yet.

Shadow20002
02-11-2004, 09:39 PM
So if Xbox Next doesn't have this feature, we won't see a sequel of Fable for sure. :(

wbio
02-11-2004, 09:41 PM
yea, I think it's way too early to start counting on (or not counting on) these thins. Let's just wait and see what E3 brings, because like someon said, MS isn't stupid

LynxFX
02-11-2004, 09:52 PM
Microsoft hasn't announced a single thing that you mention.

Blackpanthour
02-11-2004, 10:15 PM
LOLOLOLOLOLOL:rofl: dats so tru,:cheers: Bill does have enough money so he should buy FF and EA Sports so we can get XB Live on them games. and he shouldn't be so dam cheap go wit the full blast graphics:cuss:

blonks
02-11-2004, 11:10 PM
maybe if it has bad graphics, it will sell more...kinda like what happened with the playstation 2...

smart microsoft :)

SPARTAN VI
02-11-2004, 11:33 PM
"Panthour", you apologize to Olaf, then you send a flame PM at me... then you turn around and blame the flames on 'your brother' saying 'it wasn't you'. Right. :rolleyes:

Grow up. I have better things to do than babysit a 15 year old.

Casper
02-12-2004, 01:08 AM
Let's try and keep everything pertaining to the next version of the Xbox in here. I will be merging threads that have already started in here to help heat this up a bit.

Blackpanthour
02-12-2004, 06:38 AM
meh, cna't say i didn't try, but if the admins do kick me out then so be it, its not like i die and live be these forums, but if they don't then yay for me, i get to talk to others about the games that come out. so its not like ur breaking my heart by sayin i mite be kicked out.

hey, PS2 doesn't have bad graphics, jus that the animation isan't all dat powerful. like the XB. but XB still shouldn't cut bak on wat it can do, to jus tryin to beat PS2 by a little bit. Bill should put all he can put into XBNext. it would make us all proud to be XB Gamerz

Slowride
02-12-2004, 03:04 PM

man if u have nothing smart to contribute get the out of here.

very interesting indeed.......

Conchord
02-12-2004, 05:11 PM
The current Xbox has an eight-gigabyte hard disk drive. That drive is useful for online games and storing game art, but many developers chose not to make use of it. As a result, Microsoft seems to have decided that saving the $50 the hard drive costs outweighs its benefits.

If this happens, I am buying a gamecube, curling up in a ball with it in my closet, and urinating on myself.

Cryogenic Pyro
02-12-2004, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by xbocks
The current Xbox has an eight-gigabyte hard disk drive. That drive is useful for online games and storing game art, but many developers chose not to make use of it. As a result, Microsoft seems to have decided that saving the $50 the hard drive costs outweighs its benefits.

If this happens, I am buying a gamecube, curling up in a ball with it in my closet, and urinating on myself.
An 8GB Harddrive costs $50 extra? I doubt that considering you can almost get an 80GB for that much. Plus, they would be buying them in so many numbers they would cost maybe $20, MAYBE.

Each 8GB harddrive probably costs $5 or so.

* Lord Vulcan *
02-13-2004, 01:48 AM
Microsoft if you can hear me then listen and listen vary carefully.
In the bigging of this generation sony dominated because of 2 reasons.

1. Sony released the Ps2 a whole year ahead of the xbox.

2. Backwards capibility. Sony is going to include 2 generations in the ps3, the ps1 games and the ps2.

Microsoft i love you dearly , but honestly i my personal opinion i dont think you will be able to compete with the ps3. The reason the xbox is the best console is cause of the hardrive, exclusitivity, xboxlive, simply put DO NOT MAKE THESE MISTAKES

Blackpanthour
02-14-2004, 10:37 AM
Dats not the only reason y their great, XB has sum pretty decent games. Not as much as PS2, but they still have a decent library. XB has the XBL which is high tech devlopement rite now. Plus the DVD and HD, plus the 5.1 surround sound capabilites, plus sum hardware benifits. like the breakable contrller cord, and instead of puttin it on its side it has rubberized grip at the bottem so it doesn't fall, plus a hard outter shell (like the shotout between XB and a rommate, way back when) so its not only cuz of the HD its cuz their a well built console, without the RPG's and the library.

But if they do take out the HD, and the DVD, and go to a 213Mb, and cutbak on other essentials. i dunno if im gonna get XB2, save up for XB3. but dats jus my opinion

ultra-electro
02-14-2004, 09:16 PM
I'm half excited about Xbox 2

nateman
02-14-2004, 10:36 PM
Rumors point to 2006 at the earliest dummy.

super_ryu
02-14-2004, 11:59 PM
that would suck if it came out this year!
there would be no more games for xbox, and not much live updates! (or they would ditch live altogether)
also if i knew of this, i wouldve just waited for xbox 2 to come out
and if xbox 2 cant play xbox 1 games, it makes everything worse

MatrixMaul
02-15-2004, 12:08 AM
Everybody lay off em.....he's a rookie/noob (woo hoo I can say it now!) and he probably just misunderstood it....BTW, -Calle: X-Box 2 isnt coming out for a while guy.

Shadow20002
02-15-2004, 01:27 AM
Surely.....a rumor....

SPARTAN VI
02-15-2004, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by MatrixMaul
Everybody lay off em.....he's a rookie/noob (woo hoo I can say it now!) and he probably just misunderstood it....BTW, -Calle: X-Box 2 isnt coming out for a while guy.

Shut it, n00b. :p

l Maximus l
02-15-2004, 02:36 AM
Who cares if XBox 2 came out early? I would buy it in a heartbeat! Man, I need a beer....

l Maximus l
02-15-2004, 03:18 AM
The next XBox will have a hard-drive...let's get serious here...

Blackpanthour
02-16-2004, 06:57 AM
Who u guys talkin bout

Blackpanthour
02-16-2004, 07:02 AM
its tru

SO i dun think theres ne reason to worry, like common Microsoft isn't stupid. and XB2 won't come out early, (it better not) cuz wat super ryu said
that would suck if it came out this year!
there would be no more games for xbox, and not much live updates! (or they would ditch live altogether)
also if i knew of this, i wouldve just waited for xbox 2 to come out
and if xbox 2 cant play xbox 1 games, it makes everything worse

Plus if they did, we'll gfo through a whole other sega phase, when they rushed theres out and made so many mistakes. so Microsoft better keep their kool and make sure everythings working.

Theres one thing bout my XB, not sure if u guys have it but if i unplug my XB for more then an hour and they i put it bak in i have to put in the time and date all over again. its minor but still wondering if u guys have dat problem

Viper87227
02-16-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Blackpanthour
its tru

SO i dun think theres ne reason to worry, like common Microsoft isn't stupid. and XB2 won't come out early, (it better not) cuz wat super ryu said

Plus if they did, we'll gfo through a whole other sega phase, when they rushed theres out and made so many mistakes. so Microsoft better keep their kool and make sure everythings working.

Theres one thing bout my XB, not sure if u guys have it but if i unplug my XB for more then an hour and they i put it bak in i have to put in the time and date all over again. its minor but still wondering if u guys have dat problem

technically, this isnt a problem. Everyones Xbox does this. Infact, my gamecube, ps2, dreamcast, digital cable box, SS reciever, and various other electroncs do that also. It is because leaving it unpluged for a set amount of time (usually 5-10 min) resets the hardware. While it seems like something stupid to have, if your Xbox ever developes a real problem, it's possable that just umplugging it for a bit and letting it reset can fix the problem. In other words, its nothing more than a security feature found in most expensive electronics.

Blackpanthour
02-16-2004, 03:31 PM
I wasn't sayin it wuz a problem, but my DC never does that. I've left it unpluged for months at a time, (when i first got my box) and the time and stuff is still dsaved.

Billferd
02-17-2004, 05:06 PM
Ya, its coming out in 2006

Blackpanthour
02-18-2004, 06:23 AM
nice, see told ya. MS isn't stupid. and i hope they aren't stupid about makin their console.

Hawkhead11
02-18-2004, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by XboxTJ

Actually, sorry dude but it isn't hearing, i didn't hear anything. I read an Xbox article saying that so BOO YA, look who knows everything, hehehe ;)

that kid looks like sucha f ag, I feel like vomiting right now because of the picture.

Leviathon
02-20-2004, 11:12 AM
Maybe someone has said this earlier, but I will suggest it now...

What if Xbox 2 didn't come with a HDD, rather instead it utilized the original xbox HDD and connected the two somehow or you connected via USB to your home pc's harddrive and used a seperate partition. And to help those that don't own a home PC or the original xbox they make an external 6 gig and sell it for $20.00 bucks. Just a hypothesis.

I think M$ will do the right thing and put the HDD in the next system. The HD doesn't have to be some gigantic 80 or 120 gig beast. Just enough to save games, make em run quicker, and for live.

mattgame
02-20-2004, 10:27 PM
I'd say start saving for the best console ever created. :cheers:

MatrixMaul
02-20-2004, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by SPARTAN VI

Shut it, n00b. :p

*sigh* you know what......I f*ckin hate you.....like a brother. :)

*hate like a brother isnt actually hate.....you know what im saying. YOU'RE MY BOY, SPARTAN!

Blackpanthour
02-21-2004, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Leviathon
Maybe someone has said this earlier, but I will suggest it now...

What if Xbox 2 didn't come with a HDD, rather instead it utilized the original xbox HDD and connected the two somehow or you connected via USB to your home pc's harddrive and used a seperate partition. And to help those that don't own a home PC or the original xbox they make an external 6 gig and sell it for $20.00 bucks. Just a hypothesis.

I think M$ will do the right thing and put the HDD in the next system. The HD doesn't have to be some gigantic 80 or 120 gig beast. Just enough to save games, make em run quicker, and for live.

That would be alrite only that u would have to play beside ur comp to dl and save, plus if u connect to a wireless router, or u connect ur XBL directly to the modem then u would have to take out the ethernet cord and put in the modem or router, plus if u want to dl sumthing u would have to put it bak in the comp thereby signing u out of XBL. but i u connect to XBL through the comp, and u have a TV beside ur comp. that wouldn't be a bad idea. but buyin the HD for 20 isn't bad, but i would rather it in the box myself

Cybiker
02-22-2004, 12:49 AM
it may just be a marketing ploy so that nintendo and sony wont get smart and put a hard drive into their systems...microsoft says Xbox Next wont have it...so Sony and Nintendo dont put one in...and BAM Xbox Next has a hard drive and is once again the best most kickass system :)

Conchord
02-22-2004, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by MatrixMaul

*sigh* you know what......I f*ckin hate you.....like a brother. :)

*hate like a brother isnt actually hate.....you know what im saying. YOU'RE MY BOY, SPARTAN!

I raped a baby monkey fetus in my dreams.

Blackpanthour
02-22-2004, 10:11 AM
umm that's not sumthing u want broadcasted to the world.

and I don't think SONY is dum, nor Nintendo. if they're smart they see that the HD wuz a big success for the XB, and they would try and get one in.

Shadow20002
02-22-2004, 08:30 PM
Wow.. so much discussion here...must have reliable source about Xbox 2 huh ? ;)

Max33
02-23-2004, 12:07 PM
Dont worry about it.They can't do this to you. And if they do...don't worry about it . We'll get back at 'em.

Blackpanthour
02-23-2004, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Max33
Dont worry about it.They can't do this to you. And if they do...don't worry about it . We'll get back at 'em.

Who's the they?? and whos the You??

toonamil
02-26-2004, 04:21 PM
Microsoft's flash memory deal fuels rumors that the console will be hard drive-free.

Flash memory maker M-Systems announced on Wednesday that it has signed a contract to provide storage products for future versions of the Xbox, bolstering speculation that Microsoft may ditch the game console's hard drive.

M-Systems, best known for its DiskOnKey line of flash drives, which attach to a PC's Universal Serial Bus port, said in a statement that it has signed an agreement with Microsoft to develop "customized memory units for future Xbox products and services."

Ronit Maor, chief financial officer at Israel-based M-Systems, said the company could not discuss details of the contract. But Maor said the devices under development would be of significantly higher capacity than the 8MB Xbox memory units Microsoft currently sells to save game and user data. "What we're going to offer for the Xbox doesn't currently exist," Maor said.

The M-Systems announcement comes shortly after Microsoft revealed plans for expanding Xbox Live, the online game service it runs, to include limited online storage capabilities. The combination has bolstered speculation that Microsoft will drop the hard drive from the next version of the Xbox to cut production costs for the money-losing console.

Microsoft representatives declined to comment on the company's plan for next-generation Xbox hardware.

Jay Srivatsa, a senior analyst at research firm iSuppli, said the Xbox hard drive so far has been used mainly for ancillary functions like saving progress in a game, not to improve the way games work. Sacrificing the hard drive could be a relatively painless way to trim $10 or $20 per unit from production costs. "I can see why they'd attempt to do that--the hard disk usage on the current Xbox has been pretty minimal," he said. "At some point, this has got to be a profitable business for Microsoft. They have to draw some lines; look at what can they take out."

The current Xbox will gain another storage option late this year, when Microsoft releases an "extender kit" for attaching the console to a PC running Windows XP Media Center, noted P.J. McNealy, an analyst at American Technology Research. That and expanded online features could obviate the need for a hard drive, he said.

"If the network is robust enough to handle some of the processing, and you have a fast-enough connection, you can push some of the functionality of the hard drive back onto the network," McNealy said.

Richard Doherty, president of research firm The Envisioneering Group, said adding recording functionality to the Xbox's DVD drive would be a cheaper way to provide storage than a hard drive and would rob hackers of one of their primary tools for making the Xbox perform unauthorized tricks. "The hard drive became a liability in relation to those units that were hacked," Doherty said.

By David Becker, News.com [POSTED: 02/25/04 02:01 PM]

Are they serious? No hard drive on X-Box 2? Alright, this is one of the many reasons why I got an X-Box. With the hard-drive, you could save games and put music on the hard-drive, which I use on customized soundtracks-enabled games. Also, this will save me money from buying a memory card (which the price is outrageous). I want X-Box 2, but I don't think people should buy a memory card when they already have one installed and that can hold more space.

LiquidX
02-26-2004, 04:25 PM
Great... another n00b posting OLD RUMORS!!! These are RUMORS... no one knows about Xbox 2. And besides I dont think MS would ever get rid of the HD unless they had a uber big amout of Flash memory...

Tim
02-26-2004, 04:52 PM
I find the portion about Microsoft offerting online memory space through Xbox Live. That does make some sense to me, if they were to scrap the hardrive. However, not cool for those peeps that don't have the live service.

I for one, don't trust online storage, so I wouldn't be down for this alternative. But who, knows!? It is fun to speculate though!

:cheers:

BinaryXtreme
02-26-2004, 05:22 PM
I was just watching a show on TechTV called Tech Live and they claim a company has signed a deal with Microsoft that they are manufacturing memory sticks for the XBOX 2 due to no internal hard drives will be in the new units. I've read chat here but this is the first time personally I have heard or seen this in the media. If this is true, this sucks! If I see it again I'll try to catch the name of the company manufacturing the memory for Microsoft.

Yankeez
02-26-2004, 05:48 PM
ya i saw it too, why dont u like the idea?

No Fear 23
02-26-2004, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Yankeez-XBA

wihtout the hardrive, xbl will not be succesful. im prolly wrong about this one, but this is what i think. the hard drive is what convinced me to buy the xbox.

Yankeez
02-26-2004, 06:50 PM
what if the memory stick if 5 GB then would u still hate it?

BinaryXtreme
02-26-2004, 07:03 PM

I don't like the idea that I will have to buy additional memory for my XBOX. I mean music, games, stats, etc. all need memory cards. Hell, I have 42 games that would take a lot of memory just statistic wise if you were to save levels etc. I hear this and see that Sony is planning a hard drive for the next PS which in my opinion is console suicide as sales go for the next generation of XBOX. The PS outsells the XBOX and always will, but to do something like this ensures a weak future for the XBOX, in my opinion. I pay about $50 average for each game and a few hundred for my unit not to mention XBOX Live fees and steering wheels etc. etc. etc. I think Microsoft needs to start thinking straight and add features instead of taking them away to ensure a solid system. I chose the XBOX! I could have bought any system I wanted but I chose it because it was the best, period. If, and I say only if, these console features come true, I just might jump ship because I do have loyalty to the XBOX but I am a gamer and want the best system for my money. Now I am hearing I probably won't be able to play my old games on the new system, another slap in the face as far as I'm concerned. Microsoft, we love the XBOX but they just might be pushing my future gaming dollar to another company.

BinaryXtreme
02-26-2004, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by No Fear 23

wihtout the hardrive, xbl will not be succesful. im prolly wrong about this one, but this is what i think. the hard drive is what convinced me to buy the xbox.

You have posted things that I have disagreed with but I can tell you that I totally agree with you on this one. I think the next XBOX is going to have a weak future too if Microsnot doesn't start thinking what us loyal XBOX fans want. :cheers:

Chaotic
02-26-2004, 07:11 PM
Flash memory is the future. Get the memory stick similarities out of your heads because it's far from that. These are very small , fast and large capacity pieces of hardware. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a 20gb flash card that plugged into the front,side,back of the xbox that was removable for people that wanted to add more space. :cheers:

BinaryXtreme
02-26-2004, 07:12 PM
At what price???

Chaotic
02-26-2004, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by BinaryXtreme
At what price???

cheaper then what it would cost microsoft to add large capacity hard drives.

The company that is making these flash devices builds them very cheaply. We'll know more at E3, that's just my guess as of right now.

CarGuy
02-26-2004, 07:50 PM
I really don't like where this is going...

Nazgul_9
02-26-2004, 08:03 PM
Well, ****. So much for modding the new X-Box then, right?

CharlieHustle
02-26-2004, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Nazgul_9
Well, ****. So much for modding the new X-Box then, right?

EXACTLY!!! thats why i believe MS is goin this route.. This will put a stop to piracy and modding their nex generation system. The flash storage will be internal, i am more than sure of that, or at least it better be, considering all of the storage of saved games and downloadable contents that we will be faced with for the xbox 2. Its a must. Ms knows that with regular hds they left them opened for modding, and they dont want to go that route again.

Caesar SYN
02-26-2004, 09:39 PM
http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/001537.html

An article I found last night or yesterday moring to shed light on what they are talking about.

TuffEagle88
02-26-2004, 09:40 PM
Great... another n00b posting OLD RUMORS!!! These are RUMORS... no one knows about Xbox 2. And besides I dont think MS would ever get rid of the HD unless they had a uber big amout of Flash memory...

dude, calm down. Yea, this is an old rumor, but you have to give the guy credit that he posted it in the right forum, and even more that instead of opening a new thread he included it in a related existing one.

welcome to XBA toonamil!

mattgame
02-26-2004, 10:05 PM
The PS3 is gonna have a hard drive and the xbox damn well better. However you slice it, it's gonna cost us more and that's just bs to me. I bought into the xbox because of the hard drive and that it was the same price as the PS2. Hence more bang for your buck. I don't play my PS2 nearly as much as I do my xbox because it is the better system right now. If it does not remain the better system then I will not even buy the next one. I am not spending more money for something that should be there anyway. Hell Bill ain't you rich enough?

AlBoogy
02-26-2004, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by ChaoticMage-XBA
Flash memory is the future. Get the memory stick similarities out of your heads because it's far from that. These are very small , fast and large capacity pieces of hardware. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a 20gb flash card that plugged into the front,side,back of the xbox that was removable for people that wanted to add more space. :cheers:

Thats exactly what I heard on other forums as well. They all say this is the future and blows away a hard drive. Dumb question but does flash memory mean it will come with the system or we have to buy it seperately? And if its advanced, how expensive will that be??

squid413
02-26-2004, 11:41 PM
I like this idea if the flash memory has a lot of space like chaotic said and you would be able to add more but it should be able to be removable so that you can take it with you to peoples houses and stuff so you wouln't have to buy a memory card

Slowride
02-27-2004, 01:32 AM
I don't know enough about the future to make a sensible response. So i'll hold off my predictions....

l Maximus l
02-27-2004, 01:53 AM
This is a pretty interesting development. It appears that Microsoft is bypassing a technology (referring to the hard drive) and going with Flash memory, a newer technology. It almost sounds as if Flash memory is superior by that article... Man, I wonder if this is the end of hard-drives altogether? I don't just mean the XBox, but, I mean PCs and such.

Personally, if Flash Memory is the way of the future, we need to keep an open mind about this. Even from this early on, it seems to me that this is pretty cool.

bostwick202
02-27-2004, 07:30 AM
Flash memory may bee the wave of the future, but it's still pretty damn expensive. Last time i checked, a 1GB flash stick cost more than a 30 gig hard drive

Chaotic
02-27-2004, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by bostwick202
Flash memory may bee the wave of the future, but it's still pretty damn expensive. Last time i checked, a 1GB flash stick cost more than a 30 gig hard drive

You bring up a good point but remember this company is making specfic flash sticks made just for the xbox only, in large quanity with cheap components. The design and technology that will go into these will be much cheaper (not neccessarly worse) then what you can find for your pc. I'm going to assume the flash sticks will be maybe $10 cheaper then what a large scale HD would cost MS to implement into xbox 2. If you look at the broad picture that's huge savings.

We will have to wait and see , right now all this is just speculation and people getting upset because we were so happy to see a HD. But again flash is the way of the future, smaller,lighter,faster :D

mattgame
02-27-2004, 11:18 AM

You bring up a good point but remember this company is making specfic flash sticks made just for the xbox only, in large quanity with cheap components. The design and technology that will go into these will be much cheaper (not neccessarly worse) then what you can find for your pc. I'm going to assume the flash sticks will be maybe $10 cheaper then what a large scale HD would cost MS to implement into xbox 2. If you look at the broad picture that's huge savings.

We will have to wait and see , right now all this is just speculation and people getting upset because we were so happy to see a HD. But again flash is the way of the future, smaller,lighter,faster :D

I have a few problems with this statement therefore a few questions. First of all, I don't know that much about flash memory or whatever but is it really better than a hard drive, if so why hasn't it been done already? Second, huge savings for who? Bill and the gang? Lastly, I am skeptical because I don't want my beloved system to go the way of the Dreamcast et.al, to the console graveyard of the damned. Please let us all pray............. :cheers:

Tony_Macaroni
02-27-2004, 11:53 AM
Like so many people have said on this thread....these flash sticks may prove to be useful and plentiful, i baught xbox because the harddrive! I hated the fact that i had to buy memory cards for gamecube and ps2! So i figured hey, why not xbox. I am overjoyed with the ability to save TONS of memory and music without haveing to spend a penny on memory cards. If xbox switchs from HD to flash sticks, i may have to look into it before confirming my purchase of xbox2....though im not looking forward to the day, i may have to switch to sony for these reasons, mainly price and convinience. :cry: :cry:

BinaryXtreme
02-27-2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Tony_Macaroni
Like so many people have said on this thread....these flash sticks may prove to be useful and plentiful, i baught xbox because the harddrive! I hated the fact that i had to buy memory cards for gamecube and ps2! So i figured hey, why not xbox. I am overjoyed with the ability to save TONS of memory and music without haveing to spend a penny on memory cards. If xbox switchs from HD to flash sticks, i may have to look into it before confirming my purchase of xbox2....though im not looking forward to the day, i may have to switch to sony for these reasons, mainly price and convinience. :cry: :cry:

I agree %100. :D

LynxFX
02-27-2004, 01:29 PM
I think the markup on flash memory is enormous and the only reason that it continues to stay in that high price point is because of little demand compared to other products. As soon as there is demand...say a console that needs a half a dozen million units a year will lower the margins and could be cheaper to purchase than a comparable harddrive. Flash memory, while more high tech than a hard drive is much simplier in design. No moving parts for instance.

So I hope this is where they are going only if they opt to get a couple gigs in the Xbox by default, and EVERY xbox has them. None of this 'optional feature' crap.

Suicidemouse
02-27-2004, 05:57 PM
Ecuse me but dont make jugments before we actually have facts

Chaotic
02-27-2004, 08:10 PM
suicidemouse im going to warn you right now. You have 1 warning, you keep that spamming up you won't be around here long.

Please do not spam.

mrgeorge88
02-27-2004, 09:16 PM
i say xbox 2 should have some software built into the hard drive that allows you to load multimedia onto your box (besides music things like video clips small mini games etc)
that would be "neat":cheers:

Trento52
02-27-2004, 09:41 PM
well i guess one thing positive without a hardrive is it will be smaller i guess. BUt i mostly like my harddrive for don't need to buy memory cars and most of all i love my music during games. So will "flash memory" be able to hold music or something because if ps3 had a hardrive i might think of going to that system. Might

Cryogenic Pyro
02-27-2004, 10:29 PM
The company that is in cahoots with Microsoft for the flash memory makes solid state storage, and up to large capacities. These "Flash harddrives" so to speak have the ability to be up to 90GB. I'll try to find the link if I can, since I can't remember it at the moment.

Conchord
02-27-2004, 11:28 PM
I hope you can save CDs and stuff to memory cards and bring them to friends houses...and downloading content should be way more involved than it is now.

wbio
02-28-2004, 06:56 PM
actually, i think this is pretty cool, but like Lynx said they better have some in the xbox already when you buy it, because if not, lots of people won't get it, therefore games won't really be able to take advantage of it.

ShannonX
02-28-2004, 09:48 PM
if xbox 2 comes with no harddrive, i'm gonna be hard pressed to keep spending money on flash memory card after flash memory card for my save game storage (i want one card that i can save every thing on, or harddrive). Now, if they have a card that has oh, i dunno 500 - 1000 megs of storage space, for oh, say, 15 bucks, then i'll get one, but if i have to start packing around 50 16 meg memory cards or whatever they are now, i'll just stick with PC gaming and spend money on it.

BoundBruiser
02-29-2004, 01:15 AM
Come on guys, the guys at Microsoft aren't stupid enough to take out backwards compatability and the hard drive just for the fun of it. They have something planned and for hell sake it will be good. They know if they can't make their next box better than PS3 they might as well be looking in the employment ads in tomorrows newspaper.

WynnFire
02-29-2004, 01:41 AM
One of the main reasons I bought an Xbox was because of the hard drive and that I didn't have to look around for some damn memory cards. I hope they release Xbox 2 with a hard drive or I will buy the next gamecube then an xbox.

Shadow20002
02-29-2004, 01:42 AM
Well, no HD replace with Flash Card, a smaller Xbox is on the way by the mean.

BoundBruiser
02-29-2004, 01:55 AM
Well, I think that Microsoft is not telling us something and then a couple months before they'll release xbox 2 something awesome will pop up and we'll all be sorry about what we said about not having a hard drive.:cheers:

Cryogenic Pyro
02-29-2004, 03:22 AM
Originally posted by boundbruiser
Well, I think that Microsoft is not telling us something and the a couple months before they release xbox 2 something awesome will pop up.
They'll only be telling us what we already know. They are working with that flash company and going to be using solid state storage instead of a harddrive. If they don't it's death for them. Microsoft is smart, they wouldn't take out onboard storage just for the hell of it.

speedbuggy76
02-29-2004, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by WynnFire
I will buy the next gamecube then an xbox.

Have fun on that next Nintendo man. They have already announced that there's not gonna be one. :D

Link (http://www.teamxbox.com/news.php?id=5419)

Crazy Joe
02-29-2004, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Shannon-XBA
if xbox 2 comes with no harddrive, i'm gonna be hard pressed to keep spending money on flash memory card after flash memory card for my save game storage (i want one card that i can save every thing on, or harddrive). Now, if they have a card that has oh, i dunno 500 - 1000 megs of storage space, for oh, say, 15 bucks, then i'll get one, but if i have to start packing around 50 16 meg memory cards or whatever they are now, i'll just stick with PC gaming and spend money on it.

i imagine the flash memory will be huge, alot bigger than memory cards.

lotec16
02-29-2004, 04:24 PM
you shouldn't have to pay 50 bucks to get to pay 7 more to download somthing, thats so stupid.

Trento52
02-29-2004, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by speedbuggy76

Have fun on that next Nintendo man. They have already announced that there's not gonna be one. :D

Well not for a couple more years becasue they believe there is no need for new hardware and want to milk some more money out of the gamecube. So don't expect a gamecube till..I am thinking 2006, 2007. It isn't that bad of an idea though for the thing is so damn cheap comparing to the new consoles coming out but hey you know what... You get what you pay for IMO. Plus they really need to get with the times because online play is a growing popularity and some key factors for selling to gamers.

tangwu
02-29-2004, 06:45 PM
I hope that MS keeps a HD in the XBOX ... even a smaller one... putting my music and my saves on my console... is beautiful...

ShannonX
02-29-2004, 08:43 PM
just so you know, i merged the thread about tech tv and xbox 2 into this thread. Trying to keep all xbox 2 related discussion here.

Xebec
03-01-2004, 11:11 AM
what if the memory stick if 5 GB then would u still hate it?

No, but the whole point about dropping the hard drive is to save costs. A 5 GB memory stick certainly costs more than an 8 GB hard drive. Flash memory is not cheap.

Edit:

Case in point, current prices of flash memory vs hard drive:

1 GB USB flash: $155
1 GB Memory Stick: $375
1 GB CF2 card: $275

20 GB EIDE drive: $25

Source: Pricewatch.com

WynnFire
03-01-2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by speedbuggy76

What!? Again, I thought they said they are going to release one. What the hell? Some people say they are and some people say they aren't. If they don't, then I will buy 4 or 5 memory cards for the Xbox2 then.

Microsoft should talk to Seagate. A couple years ago they were devolping small hard drives that could be used in several different devices including consoles.

Cnet's Article about them, click here (http://news.com.com/2100-1040_3-931047.html)

batman46st
03-01-2004, 07:00 PM
I hope i dont get hated for wat i will say but... hey its the true and u know u guys hope too. seriously i hope the xbox never becomes #1 playstation is in no rush to send out there ps3 and microsoft is going to wait for them so they can do it but the meachine xbox wants to put out does not sound all that good i wouldnt buy it if it doesnt let me play my old xbox gamez and have a hard drive andi love xbox.... but i think its betraying us the xbox community i said it before bill doesnt need the money they need to start thinking about wat we want those cheap *******s...
and watch the ps3 is gonna have a hardrive holy:cuss that would make me so :cuss: angry:

Blackpanthour
03-01-2004, 08:57 PM
common now, u guys should be smarter then that, we all no Bill Gates isn't stupid, cuz if he wuz he wouldn't be a billionaire. plus are you actually gonna belive unoffical news?? thats all they want, is too make up crap and stuff so they can sell.

I'm not saying that the info is all wrong, but im not saying their right. rite now in such an early stage, you can't belive nething u hear cuz alot can happen bettween now and lauch date. like lower prices, new technology, etc. but we shouldn't be so excited about this news report. their jus tryin to sell

Brutus
03-02-2004, 09:16 AM
If you hope PS 3 is better, What are you doing here. This is the sight where we boycott the likes of NIntendo, PS, and EA.
I Ask again, batman, what and the heck are you doing here?

Blackpanthour
03-02-2004, 05:34 PM
I kinda argee with batman, although i wouldn't have said it the way he does. but he does have a good point, If Microsoft abandons wats goin good for them, (HD, BW capabilites, 256mb,etc.) and they look to PS2 for answers. then they really don't desever to be named #1. the microsoft wuz the one that wuz unique and new, with the HD, XBL, kool interface. so them following Sony jus makes them not as unique but followers.

but would i go on to say it in so may words as batman?? No, but i wouldn't buy XB2 if i can't play my XB games, cuz then i gotta buy a whole new libary.

this isn't the site where we bad mouth others for their opinion, and he never said he hopes there not #1, jus that if they do all the things that, that so called news report said their gonna do they don't desever to be #1.

Brutus
03-02-2004, 05:51 PM
Black Panther is a *** !!!!
You guys are dumb. You know. When I want to play some old school games, I break out my old consoles. I want to be able to Keep the millions of game saves that I have on my Xbox and it's still a good DVD player.
There are speculations from the mole that the new Xbox will have some games already downloaded onto the HD when you pull it out. Do you guys even realize how powerful those G5 Processors really are? Look it up. The new box is supposed to have some similar to it, and I here there will be 2 of them!!!!!!
We're talking about Jaw-dropping processor speeds. Not to mention the new Radeon. You know how Nvidia is an XY axis GPU. Well the Radeon takes and alters the plain so that instead of seeing jaggies you just see a straight line.
Nothing but straight lines, because of the Duel G5's... I don't know about you, but once I start playing those games, I seriously doubt I'll even pick up my old xbox controller. I mean, think about it, and when you're done, reply.
But still, We're looking at two years from now. Sony is scared and they should be. Who cares about there new Processor chip. American's know how to engineer that $HIT!

Go Bill Gates!

SPIRIT OF VENGAR!!!

-BRUTUS!

Xebec
03-03-2004, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Brutus
You guys are dumb. You know. When I want to play some old school games, I break out my old consoles.

Really? Lets see now, my XBox didn't last 1 year. Fortunetly I purchased a 2 year warranty on it. Neighbor's XBox was the same way. And unlike most people, we don't use our XBox's everyday. We use them maybe 1 or 2 times a week. So, with the quality of the hardware being so poor, we're "dumb" for wanting the next version of XBox to be backwards compatible with original XBox games? If that is the case, I'd rather be "dumb" than "stupid" to think that the XBox console will last longer than a year or two.

Brutus
03-03-2004, 10:14 AM
Mines still tickin' just fine after 2.5 years. I don't know. I don't see mine breaking anytime soon either. Maybe it's from using it as a coaster, or maybe using it as a booster seat.

Originally posted by Xebec

Really? Lets see now, my XBox didn't last 1 year. Fortunetly I purchased a 2 year warranty on it. Neighbor's XBox was the same way. And unlike most people, we don't use our XBox's everyday. We use them maybe 1 or 2 times a week. So, with the quality of the hardware being so poor, we're &quot;dumb&quot; for wanting the next version of XBox to be backwards compatible with original XBox games? If that is the case, I'd rather be &quot;dumb&quot; than &quot;stupid&quot; to think that the XBox console will last longer than a year or two.

lotec16
03-03-2004, 03:02 PM
I was riden my bike, had my xbox in my backpack (going to halo lan party) and my back tire slide out from under me and i fell on my bike(yes, laugh it up) and my xbox still works fine, and it's 2 years old, and i've riden about 4 miles a every other day with it during the summer to my friends house to have a mini lan, and my box is still 100% fine. I donno.

And could we have a link to that XY axis crap, I have a nvidia card and an ati 9600 and there really isn't a big difference in AntiAliasing. But yes, if we are so lucky to get the R500 core from ati with some Fast 14 technology will be awsome. O yea and the too bad the way things are shapeing up, the new nv40 core looks to be quit a bit faster than the R420 core, but they haven't been released.

And really, don't call it a G5, and don't call it apple either. APPLE DOESN"T MAKE IT. Apple buys it from IBM and they put it together. This is IBMs chip, their PowerPc4 chip. By the time xbox 2 is ready, it might just be using the powerpc5 which is going to be uber crazy, faster in everyway, and with probley being on a 65nm size it will run cool also. Which makes way to 3 processor theory. The "G5" server edition is printed on the 90nm process, and it runs at an amazing 25 watts of dissapation, making it cool. While intels new prescott has problems keeping it's below 100watts which could fit into a console due to heat problems. Now there is talk of the powerpc5 to have dual core/hyperthreading type of thing, which would be like 6 processors in one machine.

With all this power the only thing I am worried about is not having enought ram, which needs to be at 512MB and not having a hard drive for virtual ram which needs to be used by programmers, unlike what i've heard with the xbox now.

http://theregister.com/content/39/35537.html -watts
http://theregister.com/content/3/35387.html -fast14

BoundBruiser
03-03-2004, 09:19 PM
I can't wait for Microsoft to release this beast!!!

SmileBit
03-04-2004, 02:25 PM
One big advantage MS had was power. The XBox is the most powerful console ever. By the looks of things MS will be the first out of the gate. MS may end up launching the XBox Next by late 2005. Sony looks like a late 2006. If this goes down Sony will have the most powerful system, the best 3rd party support, AND a 1st party on par with MS game studios.

This is a make or break deal for MS. I dont see it looking to good though.

Dreamcast 2 here we come!

lotec16
03-04-2004, 02:58 PM
I totaly agree, microsoft needs to wait till ps3 comes out.

Brutus
03-05-2004, 09:27 AM
No, grasshoppers. If Microsoft releases the Most powerful console, even one on par to the better / best, it'll come out about 2 years before PS3.
PS3 is slated for release in JAPAN in 2006. It'll be another 6 months to a year before it shows up here. By then, (Have you guys even seen the speculated specs on Xbox next) Xbox 2 will have saturated the market with great games, genious marketing, and a larger game library.
Just wait.
& see.

mattgame
03-05-2004, 09:40 AM
If this flashmemory stick is gonna cost me more money to have what I want then Microsoft and Bill can kiss my ass. I hear now that it's basically a done deal. How disappointing. How stupid. Why you would stop doing what seperates you from the competition unless your goal is to fleece the consumer for as much as possible by giving them an inferior product. I guess it's working for Sony so Bill is following suit. I swear they better rethink their position. And what about online play? Is it even going to be as good as it is right now? :mad:

Chaotic
03-05-2004, 10:03 AM
If this flashmemory stick is gonna cost me more money to have what I want then Microsoft and Bill can kiss my ass. I hear now that it's basically a done deal. How disappointing. How stupid. Why you would stop doing what seperates you from the competition unless your goal is to fleece the consumer for as much as possible by giving them an inferior product. I guess it's working for Sony so Bill is following suit. I swear they better rethink their position. And what about online play? Is it even going to be as good as it is right now? :mad:

FOR THE 100th TIME THE PRODUCT IS NOT INFERIOR :mad:

Why do you guys continue to say this is beyond me. Most of you guys must not understand exactly what flash memory is. Maybe do a little research before you guys continue to put down xbox 2. Xbox 2 is going to unviel a lot of new, faster more reliable technology. The online play will be the same, do you think MS will totaly scrap a multi million dollar network infrastructure and redo it just because they are releasing a new game console? I don't think so... Xbox live will remain the same and will have im sure a lot of new upgrades and visual make overs.

mattgame
03-05-2004, 10:10 AM

FOR THE 100th TIME THE PRODUCT IS NOT INFERIOR :mad:

Why do you guys continue to say this is beyond me. Most of you guys must not understand exactly what flash memory is. Maybe do a little research before you guys continue to put down xbox 2. Xbox 2 is going to unviel a lot of new, faster more reliable technology. The online play will be the same, do you think MS will totaly scrap a multi million dollar network infrastructure and redo it just because they are releasing a new game console? I don't think so... Xbox live will remain the same and will have im sure a lot of new upgrades and visual make overs.

Tell me where to research it and I will. So what I hear you saying is the change is to save MS money? This is in no way gonna affect the quality of the system? If not and what you say is true then why didn't they do it the first time out? Or is flash memory something brand new? I know you're mad about the comments but I'm mad too. I want my next system to be the xboxnext? and I want them to beat the shat out of Sony. It just seems like what MS wants to do is be able to just get by and not go for the gold. I will go check this one site and hit y'all back.:mad:

Chaotic
03-05-2004, 10:21 AM

Tell me where to research it and I will. So what I hear you saying is the change is to save MS money? This is in no way gonna affect the quality of the system? If not and what you say is true then why didn't they do it the first time out? Or is flash memory something brand new? I know you're mad about the comments but I'm mad too. I want my next system to be the xboxnext? and I want them to beat the shat out of Sony. It just seems like what MS wants to do is be able to just get by and not go for the gold. I will go check this one site and hit y'all back.:mad:

I'm not mad just at your comments, I'm mad about the amount of people putting down something they have no experience or education about. I continue to read the amount of negativity and specualtion about what's going to be in XBOX 2. I for one and everyone else besides the "inside" group of people and MS really know what type of technology is going to go into the next xbox. I'm giving my feedback on what i know and what others are saying. From what i know about flash memory and the technology that is in speculation is going to be pretty awesome. If you want to search about flash memory look on google. Basically flash memory is like your digital camera smartmedia cards,compactflash etc.. it's all similar in the way it works. My assumption if the "flash" speculation ends up to be true, which i think it will be MS will give us most likely a tiny slot for removable flash cards that will be large in size. I'm also going to assume that the xbox will not come with these cards and you will have to purchase a seprate hopefully large flash card to plug into this slot. Now this doesn't neccessary mean the xbo will cost more because you need to buy the so called "extra" hardware and spend the "extra" money. Hopefully this will allow MS to release xbox below $299, if that's the case buying the extra flash card will basically cost you what a brand new xbox cost you when it first came out. Remember these are all guesses. ;)

mattgame
03-05-2004, 10:26 AM

I'm not mad just at your comments, I'm mad about the amount of people putting down something they have no experience or education about. I continue to read the amount of negativity and specualtion about what's going to be in XBOX 2. I for one and everyone else besides the &quot;inside&quot; group of people and MS really know what type of technology is going to go into the next xbox. I'm giving my feedback on what i know and what others are saying. From what i know about flash memory and the technology that is in speculation is going to be pretty awesome. If you want to search about flash memory look on google. Basically flash memory is like your digital camera smartmedia cards,compactflash etc.. it's all similar in the way it works. My assumption if the &quot;flash&quot; speculation ends up to be true, which i think it will be MS will give us most likely a tiny slot for removable flash cards that will be large in size. I'm also going to assume that the xbox will not come with these cards and you will have to purchase a seprate hopefully large flash card to plug into this slot. Now this doesn't neccessary mean the xbo will cost more because you need to buy the so called &quot;extra&quot; hardware and spend the &quot;extra&quot; money. Hopefully this will allow MS to release xbox below $299, if that's the case buying the extra flash card will basically cost you what a brand new xbox cost you when it first came out. Remember these are all guesses. ;)

I hope so because I am barely making it now and I have got to have it the day it comes out. I will check google out though. I need to know more about this just in case this is what the future holds.:cheers:

Brutus
03-05-2004, 12:17 PM
And the speculation's go on and on.... and on.
Nobody even knew EXACTLY what was going to be the first Xbox until about 4 - 6 months before it came out.
Remember, it was so hyped, it was gonna' have a Progressive scan DVD player! HAHAHAH
I'm not counting any of these as facts... Except for the 128MB Video Card.... Ohhhh... Sweet!

Brutus
03-05-2004, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by lotec16
And could we have a link to that XY axis crap
It's all info from the Tech guy @ my job, Diamond Blade Warehouse. He has it and he explained it all to me.
It's very confusing. He's talking about the 25% and 50% ratio's on the Axis, Basically making a straight line.
A link, I'll look. He's looking for one as well, Not that he cares all that much about my Xbox Cronies, but as soon as I find one, I'll post it.
Trying to find something that intricate in layman's terms, is like running into a break wall expecting to go through it.
When we find it, you're going to have to know all about the GPU's and stuff, because it's not going to just spell it out like he did to me.
This was found @ www.connect3d-us.com
it's something found in the 8-pixel pipeling architecture.

RADEON 9800 SERIES
Experience the world's fastest 3D gaming performance
Immersive gameplay with real-time, cinematic rendering and animation