PDA

View Full Version : The Xbox's Timeline(Article by GameSpy).

bigloser
02-16-2004, 01:40 PM
For Microsoft, the video-game industry has been a whiplash rollercoaster ride with lucrative peaks, costly valleys, and a changing list of passengers going along for the ride

You can read the whole article, over at GameSpy. (http://www.gamespy.com/articles/january04/xboxtimeline/index.shtml)

In the article it says that Fever has sold over a million copies. I wonder when they say ''Fever'' do they mean the first Fever that launched with the Xbox? Or the whole Fever series?

Slacker
02-16-2004, 02:46 PM
Why when they discuss Xbox 2 they say it won't have a Hardrive , like its been written in stone, anyway cool article for a timeline ,

robnyack
02-16-2004, 07:11 PM
Dean Takahashi of the San Jose Mercury News publishes specs for Xbox 2. The new unit will have three 64-bit IBM chips and an ATI graphics card, but no hard drive. It will be backwards compatible with the current Xbox.

Clearly unwilling to let Sony beat it to market two times straight -- are you listening Nintendo? -- Microsoft is already telling people what to expect in the next generation Xbox. Had Xbox and "Halo" been ready in October, 2000, the hardware landscape in North America and Europe would be very different. Sony would still have won in the end, but its lead would not have been so great. (Nothing would have won Japan for Xbox.)

There is no way of telling how powerful this unit may be by this information. Having three processors can be very effective, or it can make systems hard to program -- remember the Sega Saturn? The number of chips and the size of the chips are factors, not determinates.

Xbox has not lived up to all of the predictions, but Microsoft has more than made its point. After two years and two months on the market, the numbers speak for themselves. •

A fair article. For some reason it's hard to find fair pieces on the xbox...either they are fanboyish or way too harsh. This was good. I think the summary paragraphs (above) are very well written. The Xbox did not meet all it's goals, but, it definately placed themselves at the center of the gaming console community and are someone to be taken seriously by gamers, game-makers and competitors.

I did not like how the Xbox2 was described above....It got it completely backwards from what I want. It says there will be no hard drive and will be backwards compat. I want just the opposite. But, I don't think they know for sure. So, there is still hope for the hard drive. It's part of the Xbox identity. That have to keep the hard drive.