PDA

View Full Version : Amped vs SSX Tricky, what should i get?

E-Xbox
01-08-2002, 09:29 PM
hey all
im juss looking for a new game to buy and i would like to get either SSX Tricky or Amped.
i have trusted this websites advice before on games (fever)
plz help me make the better decision
which game do u think is better? why? have u played both?

lata....thanks for n e input in advance

DT21
01-08-2002, 09:32 PM
Played Tricky and trust me that game will last you a while if you like snowboarding games. Haven't tried Amped, but I'd go with Tricky.

TheIngenious
01-08-2002, 10:13 PM
Played Amped, keeps you hooked. Don't know about Tricky never played it.:cool:

VAN
01-08-2002, 10:20 PM
They are both great games, but for different reaons.

If you prefer a REAL snowboarding game, go for Amped. REAL tricks, REAL mountains with REAL runs, and it's REAL difficult. :)

If you prefer a more off the wall approach, choose SSX Tricky. It's fun, but the tricks you'll be performing are not possible in the real world.

Graphics wise, I would choose Amped, as SSX Tricky is a straight PS2 port, but they are both quite fun.

My opinion? Amped all the way.

sinizuh
01-08-2002, 11:33 PM
i played both and i had more fun with SSX Tricky.

Big Ben
01-09-2002, 12:09 AM
As far as multi-player, SSX Tricky allows for two people to play at once. I still think Amped is by far the better game. If you get tired of it (which you won't) try it stoned, drunk, or on Nyquil to increase the difficulty and provide hours of "huh? what was that?" fun.

-Big Ben

wizkid918
01-09-2002, 08:36 AM
when i first saw amped it looked cool, but just a bit too realistic to have fun for a long time, some people like that, but i like the fast pace huge jumps in ssx tricky and i bought that tons of outfits, boards, and courses to unlock and that is what i bought, i liked it much more, and mplayer is funner by a long shot

l Maximus l
01-09-2002, 10:49 AM
Amped, hands down. My reasoning behind this is that it is not centered around racing...it's centered around doing tricks. The game is extremely challenging and just plain fun. I like the fact that you can also rip your own personal CD collection and listen to your own music while playing Amped as well. I'm not sure you can do that with SSX Tricky.

VAN described it very well...it's very real looking, real mountains, real snowboarders, etc... It is, by far, the best snowboarding game I have ever played...it's just plain fun :cool:

Hugh_Jass
01-09-2002, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Maximus
it's very real looking, real mountains, real snowboarders, etc...

...and I REALly suck at it. Oh well...I'm just getting started. :D

skoot182
01-09-2002, 12:13 PM
LOL, Hugh_Jass :D

l Maximus l
01-09-2002, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Hugh_Jass

...and I REALly suck at it. Oh well...I'm just getting started. :D

lol, Hugh...it takes a little time. But, you will become really really really good...it just takes practice. If you ask me, I hate games that you can sit down and master in matter of a few minutes! lol

I'm on a level that requires 400,000 total points! Can you imagine that at this point, Hugh?!?! lol...I remember that it took me a solid hour, when I first started, to finally bust 20,000! lol...The game is great, just takes more practice :D

The grabs being on the right joystick is utterly brilliant...you will become a very big fan of this set up...just wait :D

E-Xbox
01-09-2002, 02:19 PM
hey
thanks all for helping me out
basically amped is like real and tricky is unreal

im still not sure....
which game has more options?
such as...
clothing?...people?....boards??....moves???....tricks???

and if i absolutely love the Tony hawk series..... then
which game should i get?

lata...thanks in advance :confused:

l Maximus l
01-09-2002, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by E-Xbox
hey
thanks all for helping me out
basically amped is like real and tricky is unreal

im still not sure....
which game has more options?
such as...
clothing?...people?....boards??....moves???....tricks???

and if i absolutely love the Tony hawk series..... then
which game should i get?

lata...thanks in advance :confused:

If you like Tony Hawk, Amped is your best bet. Amped is all about performing tricks...nothing with racing. I like to refer to Amped as the Tony Hawk of Snowboarding :D Seriously, I like Amped just as much as I like Halo, but of course, Snowboarding style :D

Don't get me wrong, SSX Tricky is fun...but, if I wanted this game, I would just get PS2 since it is a direct port from PS2. Amped, on the other hand, is another great testimony of the XBox's abilities when it comes to gameplay and graphics :D

What we mean by "real" is that the snowboarders are not fictional characters...they are actually real professional and famous snowboarders that you are playing with. Also, the mountains are real snowboarding destinations around the world. I gaurantee that you will be disappointed if you passed up Amped...of course I am biased, because this is one of my favorite games next to Halo and Azurik :D

l Maximus l
01-09-2002, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by BIG-T
Maximus it seems your a little biased towards Amped :D

SSX Trickey is the most fun game for xbox I have ever played, it has more clothes + boards than amped, im not sure if it has more moves but I know that the moves are wwwaaaaaayyy cooler and all the characters have amazing unique tricks that will make you laugh and your eyes buldge:eek: . It has tones of replay value and the courses are awsome!

TOKYO MEGAPLEX ALL THE WAY BABY!! :eek:

I'd get Trickey but if you cant decide, go rent 'em!

As for clothes and gear, Amped has a ton of options there, too. Different coats, pants, goggles, and hats for clothes and as for gear it has snowboards, bindings, boots, etc...lots of options. As you progress through the game, more gear becomes available...and you also gain skill points to allow your player to perform better spins, jumps, speed, switching (turning from normal foot to goofy foot)... So, Amped has all that stuff, too. If you still can't decide, go rent it, as BigT said.

But, personally, I am not one for ported games. That's just me, though. If SSX Tricky comes out with a sequel that is specifically made for XBox, I would probably buy it.

Also, not to confuse you any more, E-XBox...but, Transworld Snowboarding is coming out next month, too :D hehe

Big Ben
01-09-2002, 04:03 PM
As far as challeneg goes, I've beaten every level in Amped, and I can't beat the pro3 challenges... I've been working on this game for 3 weeks now, and it gets sooooo hard at the end. Hints to those of you beginning:

1) The amount of time you rail is what decides points, not how far. Slow down a take rails slowly to get more points.

2) learn how to tweak grabs ASAP. You can link tweaked grabs just by trying different combinations of the L and R buttons while holding a grab.

3) You only need to flip once to get a corkscrew 900. One flip and as many spins as you can pull off will get you just as high a score as if you had kept flipping.

Good Luck.

-Big Ben

P.S. - If you like Tony Hawk, get Tony Hawk, not a snowboarding game. Or get Dave Mirra BMX. Amped and SSX Tricky, while similar, do not share the same features or style as Tony Hawk.

Supperdog
01-09-2002, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Big Ben
As far as multi-player, SSX Tricky allows for two people to play at once. I still think Amped is by far the better game. If you get tired of it (which you won't) try it stoned, drunk, or on Nyquil to increase the difficulty and provide hours of "huh? what was that?" fun.

-Big Ben

Mmmmm nyquil...

This is Off Topic but I once (by accident of course ;) ) took a REALLY powerful allergy reliever medicine called aphedryine

first i was like this :eek: then i started doin stuff like this :p and then I was like this :( for the rest of the day. and thats all i remember :confused:

l Maximus l
01-09-2002, 06:08 PM
As far as challeneg goes, I've beaten every level in Amped, and I can't beat the pro3 challenges... I've been working on this game for 3 weeks now, and it gets sooooo hard at the end. Hints to those of you beginning:

1) The amount of time you rail is what decides points, not how far. Slow down a take rails slowly to get more points.

2) learn how to tweak grabs ASAP. You can link tweaked grabs just by trying different combinations of the L and R buttons while holding a grab.

3) You only need to flip once to get a corkscrew 900. One flip and as many spins as you can pull off will get you just as high a score as if you had kept flipping.

Good Luck.

-Big Ben

P.S. - If you like Tony Hawk, get Tony Hawk, not a snowboarding game. Or get Dave Mirra BMX. Amped and SSX Tricky, while similar, do not share the same features or style as Tony Hawk.

Big Ben...YOu beat every level in Amped already? How in the hell did you get passed the level that has the Sponser requiring you to perform Long Rail Slides? Dude, that one is tough!

Big Ben
01-09-2002, 06:35 PM
Dude, they're all tough, and it took a lot of practice. Sometimes, I would skip a sponser and then go back and do it when I was better. Interesting facts you may find useful: Pro 1 teaches you new grabs, Pro 2 gives you 2 skill points, Pro 3 gives you a new board. Also, when your rank moves from Amateur to Shop Rider to Pro Rider to Superstar, you get new boards and bindings that improve your skills. Balance is the most important skill. When you're on the long rail level, slow down before you hit rails. It's tough, but by holding back, your rails become longer. Also, pressing forward and back when you rail makes you do nose and tail presses, which impress the sponser more.

Good luck.

-Big Ben

l Maximus l
01-09-2002, 06:40 PM
Dude, they're all tough, and it took a lot of practice. Sometimes, I would skip a sponser and then go back and do it when I was better. Interesting facts you may find useful: Pro 1 teaches you new grabs, Pro 2 gives you 2 skill points, Pro 3 gives you a new board. Also, when your rank moves from Amateur to Shop Rider to Pro Rider to Superstar, you get new boards and bindings that improve your skills. Balance is the most important skill. When you're on the long rail level, slow down before you hit rails. It's tough, but by holding back, your rails become longer. Also, pressing forward and back when you rail makes you do nose and tail presses, which impress the sponser more.

Good luck.

-Big Ben

Dude, that makes complete sense. Slowing down on the rails only on the Sponsor levels makes sense because I remember going fast on a couple long ones and went the entire distance with nose and tail presses and still only got a "so so" symbol (with the hand swaying as opposed to a thumb up). It makes sense that the longer you are on it gives you the extra edge in getting the Sponsor amped up. Also, jumping off with a few spins or flips tends to add to the likeliness. Thanks buddy :)

E-Xbox
01-09-2002, 08:03 PM
hey all
thanks for all your help
i am gonna pick up amped on friday or saturday

does n e one know if there is a create-a-boarder???
or park???run??mountain??

well lata all

Big Ben
01-09-2002, 09:12 PM
Single player Career is create a player. You need to play the career in order to unlock all the mountains and learn all the tricks. It's also helpful as training to pummel your friends.

-Big Ben

DOOM
01-09-2002, 11:08 PM
Just WATE & Get Trans World Snow Boarding In FEB!!! I Have Tricky Now And Its A Total Blast!

Nixx
01-10-2002, 12:52 AM
i had rtricky for ps2 and it was ok not a bad game , but amped is really awesome , me and my friends love it.

l Maximus l
01-10-2002, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by DOOM
Just WATE & Get Trans World Snow Boarding In FEB!!! I Have Tricky Now And Its A Total Blast!

Dude, I hear ya! I am really intrigued by Transworld Snowboarding, too. I have Amped, and I feel with the addition of Transworld Snowboarding, I would have a well-rounded Snowboarding library considering that Amped is dedicated to tricks and Transworld is for racing and multi-player :D I'm pumped!

I have played SSX Tricky...and, in my opinion, the game is good...but, Amped kicks the crap all over it. This is just my opinion...but, I rank Amped right up with Halo from the standpoint of fun and excitement :D I believe that Amped is the "Halo" of Snowboarding...just my opinion :D

coreys281
01-10-2002, 12:29 PM
get Amped.

manchufu
01-10-2002, 03:50 PM
I hated tricky, go with amped

Snoopy7548
01-10-2002, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Maximus

Big Ben...YOu beat every level in Amped already? How in the hell did you get passed the level that has the Sponser requiring you to perform Long Rail Slides? Dude, that one is tough!

which sponsor? the one on the slope style or whatever level? he was hard. all i did the whole time was when i was on the rails, pressed back and forward a few times to do a nose slide and a tailslide or whatever the names are, and i got all thumbs ups

DOOM
01-10-2002, 08:05 PM
Just WATE & Get Trans World Snow Boarding In FEB!!! :)

wingchunstan
01-10-2002, 09:28 PM
have both tricky is alot better more fun...

Evolution
01-10-2002, 09:45 PM
I have to clear something up.. SSX Tricky isnt getting the best descipition in the world.

Amped, is basically ALL DOWN HILL, in SSX Tricky you can find secret paths, that lead up to blimps (SSX 1, I havent gotten through all the levels of Tricky) SSX Tricky playing style is more like Tony Hawk Pro Skater (Button mashin) SSX Tricky has way cooler characters. You can read my amped review at www.thegamesnotover.com, its real good on how telling it is. SSX Tricky is better at multiplayer than Amped is. Oh and another thing, if you see this.. You will by the ssx tricky :) Muhahahahahahaha I own :eek: you, Or you can go to www.:cool: :D .com Muhahaha, this is the ;) best. Anyone hungry cause :p he is