PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Announces New Xbox Live Features

bigloser
02-18-2004, 06:13 PM
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/groups/xboxLive/XboxLiveGames-header.gif
Microsoft Announces New Xbox Live Features

By David Smith
2/18/2004

Microsoft today did not quite announce a new update to the features of its Xbox Live online gaming service. Rather, it carefully tiptoed around properly announcing something it calls "Tsunami," a suite of development tools it soon plans to roll out that will enable new community and content sharing features for Xbox Live gamers, which reportedly number some 750,000 as of the end of last year.
"Tsunami," Microsoft says, encompasses (but is not necessarily limited to) the following new Live features, which will gradually roll out over the coming year:

Team Dynamics: A structured clan system, this seems to be, where players can form a team with a distinct identity, send messages within that team, keep statistics for that team, and challenge other teams to matches.

Competitions: Tsunami will let developers more easily implement different competitions into games, which can then be administered by either users or publishers.

Title-Managed Online Storage: That's not the clearest term to describe a system for sharing user-created content, but it's Microsoft's, not ours. This feature will let players upload custom content for some games -- custom logos, for instance, as well as more complex items like rosters and maps -- and see it organized by title for other players to download.

MSN Messenger Integration: Mentioned as far back as last year's E3, this feature will let players in a game contact other players on their PCs, using Microsoft's MSN Messenger utility.
We'll apparently hear more about the rest of "Tsunami" later this year, so keep an eye out for more updates on Microsoft's future plans for Xbox Live.

1UP. (http://www.1up.com/article2/0,4364,1529429,00.asp)

Cold_As_Ice
02-18-2004, 06:28 PM
This is spectacular news, indeed. I just wish that Microsoft gave Valve more time to polish Counter Strike for XBox, including some of these new features. It would have been awesome to be able to use custom sprays in CS to display your clan logo's. In my opinion, theres a great chance that these features will be intergrated in Halo 2. I can't wait.:cool:

DZNUTZ
02-18-2004, 06:36 PM
grewat post bigloser. thanx for the news.

and as always...DDC UP IN DIS B-EYE-ITCH!!!!

restler318
02-18-2004, 06:52 PM
this is just another reason to buy xbl and things are only gonna get better...

Shadow20002
02-18-2004, 07:34 PM
Well, rethink if i gonna get XBL.

Alfa
02-18-2004, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by bigloser

I dun have LIVE yet...but this will change my mind :DD

Ninjermy
02-18-2004, 08:08 PM
This is awesome. i hope this is released soon before my XBL subscription ends... cant wait for MSN!

mayo_nase2000
02-18-2004, 10:34 PM
Xbox is the best system out there and it just keeps getting better!

Ugunnalose
02-18-2004, 10:39 PM
man this is so tight.

Caesar SYN
02-18-2004, 10:45 PM
This is gonna be an intense system... with that IBM Processor... plus that other company crap doing the chipset and architecture... integrated and upgraded with all these new features.. this gonna be CRAZY... Looks line MSN gets a new boost over other IM services now.

DROOLS AT THE PROSPECTS...

themoosearmy
02-18-2004, 10:56 PM
Awesome! I Hope the clan structure is there for Halo 2, it was one thing I was hoping for.