PDA

View Full Version : Xbox games will Rock 2004

Shadow20002
02-21-2004, 10:37 AM
In the past few weeks we at Techtree.com have covered the top game releases of 2004 for the PC and PlayStation 2, indicating the games that we should look forward to on either platforms. But with the recent development in the Xbox market in India and the Nintendo Gamecube soon coming into focus, it was about time we gave the gamers of India an insight on what we could look forward to this year, on the not-so-popular consoles that have recently raised quite an interest in our market.

One can say that Xbox has been quite an unutilized console till now. With mediocre releases and bad-ports plaguing the console, Xbox has not really been able to get the right games that would truly make it shine. But this year, with the release of games like DOOM 3 and Half-Life 2, the Xbox hardware will finally get to demonstrate its real potential, and maybe get the rightful respect it deserves.

Before you mention it, yes a lot of major releases have been cut out of the article for the simple reason that they have already been featured in the previous articles about the top games you can expect this year. We would rather give more attention to Xbox exclusive titles like Halo 2 than repeatedly highlight DOOM 3 or Starcraft Ghost. Hope you like our selection, if you disagree, we'd love to know what you think. So here goes...

10 Most Anticipated Releases on the Xbox

Ninja Gaiden
One of last year's most anticipated games, Ninja Gaiden slipped to an early 2004 release due to some development delays. Well no harm done, as the much-awaited sequel to the classic series looks picture perfect. The game comes packed with loads of goodies like all the previous versions of the Ninja Gaiden series and tons of unlockable goodies, which makes this a game you shouldn't think of missing out on.
Publisher: Tecmo
Developer: Team Ninja
Release Date: Q1 2004

http://www.techtree.com/techtree/jsp/techtree/ezimagecatalogue/catalogue/xbox-ninjs-gaiden.jpg

Far Cry
Even before its release, the anticipation level for Far Cry is tremendous. After the much-hyped PC demo release, gamers can't wait to get their hands on this one. Far Cry seems to be promising in just about every department - gameplay, depth, graphics... everything! Ubisoft should release this one as soon as possible if it plans on getting a head start on the colossal FPS releases this year. Otherwise, this promising game may just get lost in the crowd.
Publisher: Ubisoft
Developer: Crytech Studios
Release Date: 2004

http://www.techtree.com/techtree/jsp/techtree/ezimagecatalogue/catalogue/xbox-farcry14.jpg

Jade Empire
After the release of the best RPG of 2003 - Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, BioWare is planning to release another RPG with similar gameplay mechanics this year for the Xbox. Jade Empire will immediately put KOTOR gamers in familiar territory, only this one looks prettier and it replaces the turn-based combat with real-time Kung-Fu. Looking at BioWare's track record with RPGs this one might just about be the RPG of the year.
Publisher: Microsoft
Developer: BioWare

http://www.techtree.com/techtree/jsp/techtree/ezimagecatalogue/catalogue/xbox-jade-empire.jpg

Shadow20002
02-21-2004, 10:39 AM
Dead or Alive: Ultimate
After the runaway success of Dead or Alive 3 and DOA Beach Volleyball, Team Ninja once again blesses the Xbox gamers with a new release of their Dead or Alive franchise; only this time they're taking a look behind. Dead or Alive: Ultimate will feature completely updated versions of the original Dead or Alive and Dead or Alive 2 in their two DVD set. While DOA 2 has been completely rehashed to look just about as good as DOA 3, Team Ninja decided to stick to the old look with the original DOA. If you're a fan of the franchise, this is a compilation that you shouldn't miss.
Publisher: Tecmo
Developer: Team Ninja

http://www.techtree.com/techtree/jsp/techtree/ezimagecatalogue/catalogue/xbox-dead-or-alive.jpg

True Crime 2
While the first game didn't exactly dethrone GTA as many critics expected it to, it was still a great game with a lot of innovations to keep things fresh even if you've played GTA to death. Now that we've received word on the team working on a sequel to True Crime, it's enough to get us excited for this year. Activision has not really announced too much about the title so all we know is that the game will once again take place in L.A. and of course you can expect better graphics and overall production quality on this one. Let's see how this one faces off with Grand Theft Auto 4, which too is expected to release this year.
Publisher: Activision
Developer: Luxoflux Corp.

http://www.techtree.com/techtree/jsp/techtree/ezimagecatalogue/catalogue/xbox-psychonauts.jpg

Full Spectrum Warrior
Full Spectrum Warrior is based on a game commissioned by the U.S. Army to train light Infantry troops in urban combat situations, so you shouldn't exactly expect a simple aim-and-shoot kind of action from this one. You can say that Full Spectrum Warrior is more towards strategy than mindless killing. Soldiers are placed in tense, hostile and claustrophobic environments where they must meet their objectives. The level of difficulty and realism may not suit everyone's taste. But for those who are up to the challenge, be prepared for a new addiction.
Publisher: THQ
Developer: Pandemic

http://www.techtree.com/techtree/jsp/techtree/ezimagecatalogue/catalogue/xbox-full-spectrum-warrior3b.jpg

Shadow20002
02-21-2004, 10:42 AM
Otogi 2
The first Otogi came practically out of nowhere and blew us all away with its crazy demon slaughtering action. It practically defined the term 'surprise hit'. This year, we'll be prepared for it. Otogi 2, from the little that we've seen is shaping out to be much better in terms of visual quality and the basic scope of the game, even with the little development time From Software (yes that's the name of the development team) had. Little has been announced about the title so far, but if it even manages to match up to the previous release, it's still good enough to be recommended by us.
Publisher: Sega
Developer: From Software

http://www.techtree.com/techtree/jsp/techtree/ezimagecatalogue/catalogue/xbox-Otogi2Xbox06.jpg

Fable
You want a real Role-Playing game? This is it! Fable lets you live the life of your character right from his adolescence to adulthood with everything you do effecting your surroundings and the non-playable characters around you. The game is open ended enough to leave all of life's decisions on you - whether you choose to use weaponry or magic to solve the situation; whether you want to lead a life of righteousness or delve into darkness. Hardcore RPG fans should be twiddling their thumbs in anticipation of this one.
Developer: Big Blue Box

http://www.techtree.com/techtree/jsp/techtree/ezimagecatalogue/catalogue/xbox-fable.jpg

Halo 2
If you have an Xbox, you'd be loco if you're not waiting for this one. Though it had a pretty disappointing show on the PC, but Halo was the single driving force behind Xbox's sales at the time of its release. Now from what we've seen, if there's a game that can kill DOOM 3's or Half-Life's sales on the Xbox this year, it will be this one. The game not only looks a hell lot better than its predecessor with its all new advanced bump mapping and lighting techniques, but features tons of gameplay innovations in terms of new additions in weapons, vehicles, and fighting techniques. To put it crudely - if you own an Xbox, you'd be a fool to not own this one.
Developer: Bungie

http://www.techtree.com/techtree/jsp/techtree/ezimagecatalogue/catalogue/xbox-Halo.jpg

Source@ (http://www.techtree.com/techtree/jsp/showstory.jsp?storyid=4736&upto=1)

Servo
02-21-2004, 10:43 AM
I heard that Vivenda is not going to publish Half Life 2 for the Xbox, and that Microsoft might take up the offer. Is this true because it might mean that the game will come out sooner hopefully this year!

thrAsher
02-21-2004, 10:50 AM
:cheers:

It's gonna be a good year.

And most of those aren't even titles I care that much about. Fable, B.C., Sudeki, Darkwatch, TFLO, Tenchu, Psychonauts, and a bunch of others I can't think of off the bat......man, I'm gonna need a second job. ;)

Ooops! You weren't done. Hehehe. There she is, my baby Fable.... :hail:

Duke
02-21-2004, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Servo
I heard that Vivenda is not going to publish Half Life 2 for the Xbox, and that Microsoft might take up the offer. Is this true because it might mean that the game will come out sooner hopefully this year!

Yeah, it's true. Who knows whether or not MS will pick it upt though. I'm sure someone will.

No Fear 23
02-21-2004, 01:07 PM
half-life 2 is coming to xbox.

anyway, never knew far cry is coming to xbox.

the list sucks...BC, Half-life 2, doom 3, splinter cell pandora tomorrow should be in the list.

MikeMan91389
02-22-2004, 01:58 PM
You know whats funny... 80% of my friends don't no what FABLE is>!>!>! omg lol

Jayhawk
02-22-2004, 03:36 PM
Yeah Fable looks sweet I just read a big article on it and I cant wait to play it!

Shadow20002
02-22-2004, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by MikeMan91389
You know whats funny... 80% of my friends don't no what FABLE is>!>!>! omg lol

That's normal cause if they are not really addict to Xbox. ;)

rpgreligion
02-22-2004, 04:32 PM
Yeah, 2004 will be a great year for xbox. Hopefully Fable will finally get a release date stuck on it. My most anticipated off of that list: Halo 2, Fable, and Full Spectrum Warrior.

XboxTJ
02-22-2004, 06:51 PM
It's going to be a fantastic 2004! Ninja Gaiden, DOA Ultimate and Halo2 look beautiful!

xbox genius
02-23-2004, 01:22 AM
i think the list is almost right on... except they dont have splinter cell pandora tomorrow!!! and ninja gaiden needs to move up on the list and true crime 2 needs to be cut out.... and voila everything is near perfect.

my game list stands at:

1. Halo2
2. Fable
3. splinter cell
4. ninja gaiden
5. whatever....

my 3,4,5 spots changes sometimes depending on how i feel about the game each day lol

Slowride
02-23-2004, 03:26 AM
And, if EA goes live, then i'll flip. I'll have to get ncaa 2005. but this prolly won't happen......bah.

Styx
02-23-2004, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by Servo

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/ultimaonline/news_6089802.html

RUMOR #1: The Xbox version of Half-Life 2 has been cancelled.

Source: Gamers whose pre-orders had been nixed by EB Games.

The official story: "EB Games does not have any additional information on the status of Half-Life 2 for Xbox. As our pre-order information was speculative, we decided to cease accepting pre-orders."--An EB Games Spokesperson.

What we heard: After receiving e-mails from alarmed gamers, GameSpot contacted Valve, VU Games, and EB Games about the status of the Xbox version of Half-Life 2. What we got were a variety of responses: Valve said that while it had plans to eventually bring the game to multiple consoles, right now it was "concentrating on getting the PC version done." VU would only say that the Xbox HL2's status had not changed since last June, when a VU spokesperson re-confirmed Gabe Newell's comments that a version was being developed for the Microsoft console. As for EB, they issued the above statement. So what does all that mean? Basically, that the PC version of Half-Life 2 is so far off, a console port is no longer even on its developer's, publisher's, or retailer's radar.

Bogus or not bogus?: Bogus. Half-Life 2 will eventually come to the Xbox. However, when--and in what form--is still very much in flux.

mattgame
02-23-2004, 08:55 AM
I said it last year and I'll say it again.....

2004 is the year of the takeover, the break's over!

Xbox will gain ground on the Pspew and leave the Lamecube in the dust

mattgame
02-23-2004, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Ninja_Man

Your so mean to game cube &ps2...:cheers:

And you know what, I own both systems but the Xbox is just so much better. I just can't believe what it can do and what it's done so far. This year is going to say it all, the titles that will be out this year is simply amazing. Did you see Ninja Gaiden? That game is so fast, so amazing and there was not a hint of slow down, no jaggies, no nothing but pure gameplay. The takeover is in full progress! :cheers:

Max33
02-23-2004, 12:28 PM
2004 will definately be a banner year for the XBox.It's definately the best system out there.With developers like Bioware & Ubisoft take'n full advantages of its potential, wadda ya expect.(although I heard that Half Life might be delayed indefinatly cause the source code was stollen?)The only reason it was so slow outtta the gate was a the lack of a solid stable of games.We be kickin ass!!!

Brutus
02-23-2004, 12:55 PM
The thing we have in common is that we're all happy gamers when it comes to all of these goodies! I know I am! hahahah!

l Maximus l
02-23-2004, 04:58 PM
Yes...it's such an honor to own an XBox :D

themoosearmy
02-23-2004, 10:52 PM
Right now I'm only focused on Ninja Gaiden cause it seems like its the only one thats going to be coming out soon! But other than that, splinter cell, fable, and the obligatory Halo 2 are going to be games to contest with.