PDA

View Full Version : Call of Cthulhu!

bigloser
02-21-2004, 01:18 PM
Anyone looking forward to this game? Call of Cthulhu Is based on the Cthulhu Mythos of HP Lovecraft(so you know the game will have a good story.)

Headfirst Productions(Developer of CoC) is trying some interesting things in Call of Cthulhu. CoC will not have a HUD whatsoever, when you're hurt, or low on ammo. The game will have ways of telling you, ways that are supposedly more realistic than the traditional hud(I'm not exactly sure how though).

The damage system in CoC looks very interesting. Supposedly, if you take too much damage to one of your legs, it will break, and cause your character to limp, if you don't treat the injury, it will gradually get worse. You can also break one of your arms, which will cause aiming your weapon to become very difficult. Also if you receive a wound that is bleeding, you'll need to stop the bleeding, or you'll eventually bleed to death. You'll also have to worry about the climate, if your character gets wet, and goes outside in the cold, or stays in a cold area for to long. He'll start to have hypothermia.

According to CoC's website, CoC won't have medic packs laying around. However, it will have "More realistic means of healing". You'll have to treat each injury differently, apparently with some sort of medical equipment.

Call of Cthulhu will have a sanity system. Kinda like the one found in Eternal Darkness. If your character starts to lose his sanity, he'll start hallucinating, hearing voices, it can even effect his ability to see(Double vision, blurred version ect).

Hopefully Call of Cthulhu turns out well. It's been in development for over 4 years, and is suppose to come out for the PC/Xbox this winter. Don't worry about the Xbox version of the game being a shoddy port. According to the developers, the game isn't really a port. Since they've had the Xbox in mind throughout the game's development.

You can read more about Call of Cthulhu at callofcthulhu.com. (http://www.callofcthulhu.com/index.html)

Call of Cthulhu Trailer. (http://www.gametrailers.com/gt_vault/t_callofthecthulhu.html)

http://www.callofcthulhu.com/images/art/xbox/coc_xboxscrn_01.jpg
http://www.callofcthulhu.com/images/art/xbox/coc_xboxscrn_04.jpg
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2003/screen1/562603_20030515_screen004.jpg

BinaryXtreme
02-21-2004, 01:28 PM
Sounds very interesting. Graphically it doesn't impress me at all. I'd really like to play this if the game play was good though. I'll have to keep an eye out for updates on this. Good find.

bigloser
02-21-2004, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by BinaryXtreme
Sounds very interesting. Graphically it doesn't impress me at all. I'd really like to play this if the game play was good though. I'll have to keep an eye out for updates on this. Good find.

Yeah, the game doesn't look great graphically. But the gameplay sounds interesting. CoC is like a Surivor/horror simulation. I actually left out a lot of the interesting gameplay aspects of the game. Like being able to shoot enemies thru doors, wooden walls, ect.

rpgreligion
02-21-2004, 05:19 PM
I've been excited about this game for awhile now. As the two people before me said, it's not graphically revolutionary, but I don't think the graphics are horrible either. It will most likely have a great storyline, and if they do a good job on the body damage system, I think I may pick this one up.

Microsoftally
02-21-2004, 05:26 PM
Well, this game is quite unique, but it doesn’t really look like something I would choose to buy over all the other things available. Considering what my financial status is, I probably will only rent, and if itis super standard I might consider the buy, otherwise it is the occasional rent ‘till beat. I’ll still consider the more in-depth read up, and maybe even grow to like it more than anything after all.

Slacker
02-21-2004, 06:11 PM
I have been wanting a good Lovecraft game since I first read lovecraft in 1988, I used to play the RPG , it really fun , and creppy Eternal Darkness was good but it lost some Lovecraft aspects , I really hope this comes out great , as far as graphics I could care less , I hope you fight Nyarlothotep,,,,,

Slap A Pope
02-21-2004, 07:12 PM
As a fan of Lovecraft, I've been looking forward to this game for awhile. The graphics look fine to me, and from what I've heard about the game (storyline, realistic damage to your character, and the interactive environments) its turning out to be a really decent game. I just hope that the soundtrack isn't done by Erich Zann...

Kyle Static
02-21-2004, 08:56 PM
It looks great, I'll have to keep an eye out for updates. The graphics are fairly good IMO, nothing groundbreaking but they're good nonetheless.

Stagliano
03-05-2004, 06:56 PM
It's probably the forthcoming game I'm most interested in on any system. I'm really looking forward to it getting its release.

Isn't it by Bethesda (who I believe are responsible for Morrowind)? That's something huge in its favour too.

Being a wretched little nerd, I used to play the Call of Cthulu pen, paper and sweaty geeky children roleplaying game in my youth too and am pleased to see it's going to use the structure of its rules. Hooray for nerds!

To me, the graphics look fine. So long as they are enough to give the game some feeling of darkness and the music works well (as sound will be vital to the feel of the game), I'm sure I'll have no complaints.

I think it's about time someone did a good horror themed game with a first-person view. It gives so much scope for chills.

Prospectively this could be the game I'll enjoy more than any other I've ever played but it might also turn out to be a huge disappointment. Here's hoping it's the former.