PDA

View Full Version : Putting songs on your Xbox with CD-RW?

Viper87227
02-21-2004, 10:50 PM
I reciently found out you can put your MP3's on your xbox via CD-RW's. I decided I would try it out so I bought myself some CD-RWs, converted my MP3s with WMP, and burned them to a CD. To my dismay, I get the same "Xbox does not recognise this disk" error I get with CD-R's. Can anyone tell me is there anything special I have to do to get them to work, or is there a specific brand I need? BTW I got TDK CD-RW's if that makes any difference

Xorg
02-21-2004, 10:55 PM
I use TDK CD RWs but mine work, they always worked but one time it said that the xbox couldn't recognize the cd, but then it worked afterwards, all I do is burn the music to the cd. I never converted them to wmp's though.

Viper87227
02-21-2004, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Xorg
I use TDK CD RWs but mine work, they always worked but one time it said that the xbox couldn't recognize the cd, but then it worked afterwards, all I do is burn the music to the cd. I never converted them to wmp's though.

They are not WMPs they are CDAs...just like a normal CD. While my case may be the same as yours, I only have 5 CD-RWs, i dont want to waste them all finding out. Anyone else know a way to fix the problem?

Xorg
02-21-2004, 11:00 PM
you cant waste cd rws, I mean they are re writeable, just erase it if it doesnt work.

Viper87227
02-21-2004, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by Xorg
you cant waste cd rws, I mean they are re writeable, just erase it if it doesnt work.

yes, but my CD-RW drive is gay. While I can add to them and overwrite files, I cant delete them. So basically, I can replace old tracks with new tracks, but I can't take them off the disk. I dont want to dedicate them all to music if I dont have to

Zion
02-21-2004, 11:32 PM
You have to click the 'erase re-writeable' button in your burning software. It'll be good as new.

Viper87227
02-21-2004, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Zion
You have to click the 'erase re-writeable' button in your burning software. It'll be good as new.

I don't have burning software, I use the good ole' copy paste burning....its fast as hell.

prakeem
02-22-2004, 01:06 AM
I had a similar problem. My CD-RW would not be read by my xbox. I kept trying and it eventually worked (after the 3rd or 4th time). Im not sure how many times you tried it, but it should eventually work. Also, I used the Memorex brand.

Conchord
02-22-2004, 01:10 AM
The newer xbox CD lenses (the part of your xbox that reads CDs) can read them, but older ones cant. mine couldnt, and it was ****ed up with other **** to, so i sent it in to get the tray replaced and other **** cleaned up, and now i can burn all my mixes...

Viper87227
02-22-2004, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by prakeem
I had a similar problem. My CD-RW would not be read by my xbox. I kept trying and it eventually worked (after the 3rd or 4th time). Im not sure how many times you tried it, but it should eventually work. Also, I used the Memorex brand.

I am on my 7th try....still no luck

Viper87227
02-22-2004, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by xbocks
The newer xbox CD lenses (the part of your xbox that reads CDs) can read them, but older ones cant. mine couldnt, and it was ****ed up with other **** to, so i sent it in to get the tray replaced and other **** cleaned up, and now i can burn all my mixes...

I have only had my xbox for a bit over a year (Jan 2nd, 2003)....I think I have the new drive

l Maximus l
02-22-2004, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by Viper87227

I have only had my xbox for a bit over a year (Jan 2nd, 2003)....I think I have the new drive

It's quite possible that MS updated the new XBoxes so they couldn't read CD-RWs... This is just a guess, though...I have never tried it personally.

If you had XBox Music Mixer, you could stream music right to your hard-drive...so, that's another solution. I have one and I think it's sweet :D

Viper87227
02-22-2004, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by Maximus SYN

It's quite possible that MS updated the new XBoxes so they couldn't read CD-RWs... This is just a guess, though...I have never tried it personally.

If you had XBox Music Mixer, you could stream music right to your hard-drive...so, that's another solution. I have one and I think it's sweet :D

That would require money that I don't have....maybe I can borrow yours

Hard Boiled Cop
02-22-2004, 05:22 AM
On my old xbox, having copied music CDs work but nowI bought a new one because my old one was busted, it doesn't work at all. I then thought that he had something to do with my drive.

Xorg
02-22-2004, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Viper87227

I don't have burning software, I use the good ole' copy paste burning....its fast as hell.

are you just copying the music and then pasting it on the cd? Im not sure but I think that in order for the cd to play it has to be a special file, I dont think you can just copy and past mp3's or wmp's. Try to play the cd with a cd player or something to see if it works or try making the cd with windows media player

selowitch
02-22-2004, 09:28 AM
Would we all be better off simply connecting our Xboxes to a network? I assume that would make file transfers much easier, would it not?

Ninjermy
02-22-2004, 10:04 AM
so ur saying the drive only works with CD-RW's and not CD-R's? i think ill have to experiment today and see if i can get mine playing my CD-RW's.

Viper87227
02-22-2004, 10:32 AM
Got it to work, I had to use Nero instead of the windows burning software

Shadow20002
02-22-2004, 10:40 AM
I'm using Imation's CD and it's work great.

selowitch
02-22-2004, 10:48 AM
Anybody tried attaching an Xbox to a home network? Is this easy to do, or is it a pain? If it's just plug-n-play, I'll bet that would be a great way to get songs over to the hard drive.

Of course, it's far from clear that my AAC files in iTunes would work when played on an Xbox.