PDA

View Full Version : System Link Play - Hub

l Maximus l
01-09-2002, 11:12 AM
What is the best HUB to purchase for linking multiple XBox for System Link play? Any recommendations? Keep in mind that I am somewhat novice to general computer networking.

Also, I have a nephew that recommended purchasing a switch instead. What is the advantage of this, if any? And, if it is better, then what type of switch should I get?

On both of these, I need some specs, if that applies. Thanks!

JJaX
01-09-2002, 11:13 AM
Get any generic 5 port hub, That will work fine. And make sure you get Cat 5 wire. Not "crossover" wires. PLug em in , ANd play.

l Maximus l
01-09-2002, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by JJaX
Get any generic 5 port hub, That will work fine. And make sure you get Cat 5 wire. Not "crossover" wires. PLug em in , ANd play.

Well, I saw a Hub that had four ports for linking four XBoxes (or computers normally, of course). But, it was a 10X. Does this matter? Also, I thought that you had to use CAT 5 crossover cables when in a LAN environment. Because, isn't the System Link Cable simply a CAT 5 Crossover?

Again, bare with me as I am relatively novice on the subject. Thanks, buddy :D

Chr0nik
01-09-2002, 11:23 AM
The crosssover cable is the equivalent of the system link cable, it is used for hooking up multiple boxes in series without the use of a central link such as a hub.

If you are going to get a hub then you can use standard CAT 5 cables to hook the XBOX's into your hub.

Hope I was clear enough.

I would prefer to get a switch that supports both 10/100. A switch will provide you with dedicated bandwidth on each port.

XBOX Dude
01-09-2002, 11:28 AM
which one's cheaper switch or a 4 port hub and what is the cheapest price for a switch

Chr0nik
01-09-2002, 11:33 AM
But for a little more cash you can get a switch, the advantage of a switch is speed and dedicated bandwidth on each port.

If a hub has 120 ports and is rated at 100mb you can have 10 ports running 10mb or 1 port using all the bandwidth at 100mb

A switch on the other hand will allow all 10 ports to be running on 100mb at the same time.

Hugh_Jass
01-09-2002, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Chronik
But for a little more cash you can get a switch, the advantage of a switch is speed and dedicated bandwidth on each port.

If a hub has 120 ports and is rated at 100mb you can have 10 ports running 10mb or 1 port using all the bandwidth at 100mb

A switch on the other hand will allow all 10 ports to be running on 100mb at the same time.

That's true, but if you're only using it for Gamespy a cheap hub is all you need.

Msterrrr
01-09-2002, 12:26 PM
i think max just wants to link 4 boxes together
get the cheapest hub you can
btw you will need games in each of the xboxs also but you probadly already know that:)

[edit] aww how cute,,lol

oscarc619
01-09-2002, 12:29 PM
I've used the Linksys 8-port hub with out any issues. A switch will perform much better in a high traffic environment but for the purposes of the Xbox a 10/100 Hub will work just fine.

l Maximus l
01-09-2002, 12:40 PM
Gotcha...Thanks for the info so far...And yes, all I am interested in is hooking up four XBoxes...I'm not referring to Gamespy in this thread, just so you all know.

Well, I saw a hub for about $39.99 that is a four port 10X. It might have been $29.99, but, I don't remember. But, anyway, will this do the trick or would anyone recommend one that is better?

Also, is it okay to use CAT 5 Crossover cables for each XBox being hooked to the HUB or is it very important to ONLY USE regular CAT 5 cables when hooking them to the HUB? I don't want to mess anything up. I appreciate all of your help, dudes!

Msterrrr
01-09-2002, 01:00 PM
going to a hub use cat5's

xbox to xbox use crossovers

oscarc619
01-09-2002, 01:01 PM
When using a hub you must use Straight Through ( also referred to as Patch Cable) Cat 5 Cable. Only use crossover cable when connecting two Xbox's together without a hub.

I haven't tried a 10Mbps hub so I can't tell you how well it would work. It should be fine though. I also didn't check my hubs meter to see how much thoughput the xbox was using. For about $50.00 you can get a 10/100 hub.

l Maximus l
01-09-2002, 01:07 PM
Okay, I think I understand all of this better now.

So, it seems to me that getting a 10/100 is the best way to go. I know I can snag one up at Comp USA or something quite easily. $50 is not too bad for what you get out of it. It will probably get a lot of use :D

Also, CAT 5 Crossover cables are ONLY used to connect two XBoxes in the absence of a HUB. That makes a lot of sense. So, it appears that I have to pick up four regular CAT 5 (patch cables) if I am going to hook up four XBoxes to the 10/100 HUB.

I appreciate all the help! But, one final question: what would be the consequences, if any, if I used a CAT 5 Crossover cable to link to the HUB instead of using standard Category 5 cables (patch cables)? Or would it not matter?

JJaX
01-09-2002, 01:08 PM
HOOKING 4 Xboxes into a hub Via "Crossover" wires will not work at all.

Crossover strictly for Xbox to xbox. 2 total. Because 3 would be impossible, being theres only one port on the back ;)

l Maximus l
01-09-2002, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by JJaX
HOOKING 4 Xboxes into a hub Via "Crossover" wires will not work at all.

Crossover strictly for Xbox to xbox. 2 total. Because 3 would be impossible, being theres only one port on the back ;)

Dude, okay...that makes sense. Thanks! Keep in mind that I am relatively novice on networking issues. So, I appreciate the info.

Actually, Jjax...believe it or not, I have another question...lol :D hehe...I hope I'm not pushing it! lol

Exactly how would four XBoxes, be hooked up? I realize that all XBoxes must have the standard Category 5 patch cables going into the Hub...but, does the HUB connect to the TV or to one of the XBoxes? And, what type of cable is required to make the final connection? Dude, seriously, I appreciate the help...my buddies and I are having a Halo rally this Saturday at my pad...I want to get this thing right :p

Msterrrr
01-09-2002, 01:14 PM
it will set off a hidden easter egg in all 4 and turn the xbox into a brewery:D

JJaX
01-09-2002, 01:21 PM
Check out these

http://www.radioshack.com/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F003%5F001%5F009%5F003&Page=1

oscarc619
01-09-2002, 01:24 PM
Each Xbox would need it's own television and game. Then each Xbox would connect to the Hub. Whe you run System Link Game Mode in Halo it goes out and finds all the Xbox systems that are connected.

l Maximus l
01-09-2002, 01:26 PM
Cool, Jjax....thanks! I don't think I will need 50 ft ones...but, I notice that go from 50 ft all the way down to 3 ft. Thanks!

But, now, if you don't mind me asking, how do I hook up this entire set-up?

1. Four TVs
2. Four XBoxes
3. Four CAT 5 Patch cables
4. One 10/100 HUB

What connects to what? lol ...I appreciate it!

oscarc619
01-09-2002, 01:30 PM
Xbox connects to Power, and Television. Then connect Cat5 cable from Xbox to Hub.

Each Xbox is setup in the same way. Then only connection the Hub has is to the Xbox's via the Cat 5 cable and Power via a Power Cable.

That's it. It is really that easy.

JJaX
01-09-2002, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Maximus
Cool, Jjax....thanks! I don't think I will need 50 ft ones...but, I notice that go from 50 ft all the way down to 3 ft. Thanks!

But, now, if you don't mind me asking, how do I hook up this entire set-up?

1. Four TVs
2. Four XBoxes
3. Four CAT 5 Patch cables
4. One 10/100 HUB

What connects to what? lol ...I appreciate it!

Dont forget 4 copys of halo!!

Just hook up each xbox to a tv. Now Put the hub in a safe place in the middle somewhere. Connect 1 cat 5 from each xbox to hub for all 4 boxes.

Once you made it this far, Just turn on the TV's and Xboxes. Go to system link play. One box create a game. Everyone else goes to system link play and joins your game. Have fun!!!

l Maximus l
01-09-2002, 02:35 PM
Thanks, Oscar and Jjax...that is very easy. I just wanted to make sure. As you can see, as I stated before, I am novice to networking.... Often times, I find myself making things more difficult than they actually are.

So, let me get this straight for a sec........just kidding :D I got it! Thanks, buddies!

Hugh_Jass
01-09-2002, 10:13 PM
A 10Mbps hub is all you really need.
A T1 is "only" 1.5Mbps, after all.

I guess I'm not one to talk. I've got two 16-port 10/100 switches and one 5-port switch in my wiring closet. :)

http://webpages.charter.net/cinemamaximus/wiring_closet_sm.jpg