PDA

View Full Version : HDTV double image

imanym
01-09-2002, 12:07 PM
I have a Samsung wide screen DTV and a Dolby Digital Home Theater in my home. I have noticed a few things. One when I set the XBOX to 480p and load HALO, I get a black bar in the center of my screen and duplicated images on the screen. I could play the game, but with 2 images almost like playing Multi-player but split verticaly as oppose to horizontally. I have also noticed that my center channel sound is deteriorating. I first noticed it yesterday. When playing halo I could here all of my surrounds clearly, but the center was almost a whisper. For example when I used any weapons you could not hear them barely. Has anyone experienced any of these problems. If so I think I will get an exchange for e new XBOX. By the WAY 9THIS SYSTEM ROCKS)

robnyack
01-09-2002, 12:19 PM
I dont know for sure, but, I'm not certain I would consider this an xbox problem.

sounds like a setup problem?

clintb
01-09-2002, 03:43 PM
imanym,

You haven't described how you've got your XBOX connected to your Samsung. If you don't have it connected with the Advanced AV pack (component), then you should NOT turn on the 480p, 720p nor 1080i.

Unless you have specifically purchased the Advanced AV pack, or similar, then you are probably using the composite connector. The composite is what ships with the XBOX.

Let us know.

l Maximus l
01-09-2002, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by clintb
imanym,

You haven't described how you've got your XBOX connected to your Samsung. If you don't have it connected with the Advanced AV pack (component), then you should NOT turn on the 480p, 720p nor 1080i.

Unless you have specifically purchased the Advanced AV pack, or similar, then you are probably using the composite connector. The composite is what ships with the XBOX.

Let us know.

Actually, Clintb...the Advanced A/V Pack is S-Video. I have one. I just thought I would let you know :)

Hugh_Jass
01-09-2002, 10:15 PM
Yeah, you want the HD AV Pack.

clintb
01-10-2002, 09:54 AM
Oops. Yeah the High Definition AV Pack is what you need. You can't tell by the picture, but it has a Toslink connector for an optical out in addition to the analog audio outs. Very versatile piece.

imanym
01-10-2002, 12:23 PM
Okay. The reason I did not specify the connection is because, the only way you can access the High Definition settings you would have to have either the High Definition AV pack or the Monster Component A/V pack. You cannot access the High Defintion features without one these 2 devices hooked up to your television/Xbox. You cannot access the High Definition features with a Advanced Audio Video pack which only has the Svideo and the Left/Right stereo outputs. Only the HD pack has the Optical out, Component out and Stereo out. I actuallu bought the Monster Component pack in order to be certain it was not the XBOX. However, it turns out it is not the wire so it leaves me to assume that it is the XBOX. :cool:

tbird
01-10-2002, 04:43 PM
CALL XBOX SUPPORT LIKE YOU HAVE ALREADY ...

DBXNY
01-10-2002, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by imanym
Okay. The reason I did not specify the connection is because, the only way you can access the High Definition settings you would have to have either the High Definition AV pack or the Monster Component A/V pack. You cannot access the High Defintion features without one these 2 devices hooked up to your television/Xbox. You cannot access the High Definition features with a Advanced Audio Video pack which only has the Svideo and the Left/Right stereo outputs. Only the HD pack has the Optical out, Component out and Stereo out. I actuallu bought the Monster Component pack in order to be certain it was not the XBOX. However, it turns out it is not the wire so it leaves me to assume that it is the XBOX. :cool:

This is the second time I've seen this exact same problem occur with a Samsumg HDTV. Are you sure the component input into the set you are using is compatible with a 480p signal? I would double-check your manual. You may also want to give Samsung a call to see what they say. Definitely some signal syncing problem going on somewhere.

BTW, do you have access to a progressive-scan DVD player?

LynxFX
01-10-2002, 04:51 PM
Yeah I seem to recall a similar post a while back. It definately sounds like a settings problem.

If you have a buddy with an HDTV then take your xbox over there and try it out. If it is set up correctly and still has problems then it is the xbox. It would help if this buddy also has a different tv than you.

LynxFX
01-10-2002, 04:54 PM
Oh and about the sound levels with the center channel. Most games aren't utilizing the center channel as much as they should. Instead most front sound comes from the front left and front right speakers instead of focusing on the front center.

BlaZeR2
01-10-2002, 06:02 PM
Actually, the Advanced AV pack has the optical out as well (Toslink)

someone stated that only the HD pack has that

i just wanted to correct that statement

BlaZeR2