PDA

View Full Version : Good method for cleaning discs

clintb
01-09-2002, 04:08 PM
I've seen numerous posts about the disc not being able to be read. I'm just curious what everyone else cleans their discs with. What are the good automated types?

Me: Oakley sunglass soft case. Microfiber is what I think the material is. Rinse off with water and a very small amount of liquid dawn, then pat dry with soft towel and get the haze with the Oakley bag.

This sounds a bit excessive, but I haven't scratched any discs yet.

l Maximus l
01-09-2002, 04:13 PM
I pour beer on my disks and lick it off. Seems to work good. :p

K Dawg
01-09-2002, 04:17 PM
actually sometimes on my psx games i used to use like Pledge and s soft towel....it works with scratched to i think....cause like the pledge somewhat fills in the scratches or something....i NEVER would do this with a Box game, i love em too much :D

dont attempt this either....i dunno if it will work...i was just saying what i used to do

l Maximus l
01-09-2002, 04:31 PM
They have special CD/DVD cleaners at any local electronics store. Get that stuff...I forget the name of it...but, every place has it. Go to Radio Shack or something...it works the best. Or, do what I do and pour a beer on it and lick it off :D

clintb
01-09-2002, 04:39 PM
Any specific commercial models that are recommended?

mattcoxonline
01-09-2002, 05:06 PM
I take 'em down to London street and get poor monkey boy to give them a spit shine... :)

but in reality I have a CD cleaning kit that I got with my PC....
I rarely use it though because I keep my CDs in good nick!

Msterrrr
01-09-2002, 05:31 PM
toothpaste:D

XboXGangsta
01-09-2002, 05:33 PM
Toothpaste for sho, the PSX games get cracks from being read and Toothpaste fills that **** in and it ALWAYS works

l Maximus l
01-09-2002, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by XboXGangsta
Toothpaste for sho, the PSX games get cracks from being read and Toothpaste fills that **** in and it ALWAYS works

Since when did Aqua-Fresh have code that is identical to the code that was potentially scratched off? :D

Vteck3000
01-09-2002, 05:48 PM
Is it true that when you clean your discs that you have to clean them from the middle ( where the cd hole is ) to the edge of the cd ?????? It is not recommended to do circles on the cd ......... like you would when you buff a car that you just waxed :cool:

Brian
01-09-2002, 05:56 PM
True that... true that. :D

XboXGangsta
01-09-2002, 06:26 PM
Maximus I cant explain it, but it has worked 100% of the time, my CDs would have scrathes from being read toothpaste on, take if off, and it worked like it was brand new

JADE8704
01-09-2002, 07:13 PM
do you think putting rubbing alcohol will work?

also, here in KS they have a Disc DR....its supposed to clean disks from scuffs to deep scratechs and fingerprings...it even repairs damaged ones

GokuX
01-09-2002, 07:45 PM
I guess I'm a cheapo but I just use my T-Shirt.

skoot182
01-09-2002, 07:49 PM
LOL GokuX, same here :D

Hugh_Jass
01-09-2002, 10:30 PM
What are you guys doing to your discs? :eek:

Treat them with respect and you won't have to clean them.

GokuX
01-10-2002, 01:01 AM
Well on the treatment of my disks, I usually throw em in the air and play catch with them when I'm bored. I sometimes use them as coasters for my cold beverages, I mean the disks have a protective coating on em might as well use it to protect my furniture. I accidentally mixed up the disk cleaning pads and a sheet of sandpaper. Needless to say the disk didn't fair too well, but it was perfect for a coat of primer. I wonder why the heck I get all those stupid no disk errors on my XBox. Hmm my XBox must be defective.