PDA

View Full Version : Far Cry for the Xbox to differ from the pc version?.

bigloser
02-25-2004, 04:16 PM
EXCLUSIVE: FAR CRY SET TO STORM CONSOLES!

Xbox version of Crytek's stunning PC first-person shooter definite, with a PS2 version also looking highly likely. Plus: Far Cry 2 rumours rubbished and new footage

19:01 Crytek's first-person shooter Far Cry, due on PC in March in Europe, is definitely heading to console, we can reveal.
Speaking to a source at the German developer earlier today, it was confirmed to us that an Xbox version of the tile is currently in development internally at Ubisoft.

Montreal seems the likely Ubisoft studio where the project is underway, Crytek stating that the console rendition is being worked on "where Ubisoft produces all its good Xbox games".

"We didn't want to limit the PC version of Far Cry by developing it for Xbox at the same time," the developer added, explaining why the Xbox version is being handled internally by Ubisoft.

Although refusing to go into specifics, Crytek informed us that the Xbox version of Far Cry will differ from the PC version. We'd expect some changes visually, but from the developer's words it sounds as though content may well be altered too.

Talking further about Far Cry on console, the developer also confirmed with us that the title will appear on a third platform.

Crytek was reluctant to divulge information on the third platform - all it would say was that we "should be able to guess" which platform it is. Our money's on PS2, the developer having said previously that it hopes to see its shooter on Sony's console.

Crytek went on to rubbish recent rumours doing the rounds concerning a Far Cry 2, rumour sparked off by an interview conducted with Uwe Boll (the German director and producer planning to bring Far Cry to the silver screen) by US press.

"If we were doing a Far Cry 2, we would know about it - and we're not and we don't," the developer laughed.

We contacted Ubisoft for clarification but a spokesperson refused to comment on the matter. We'll bring you official confirmation from the publsiher as soon as we have it.
Computer&VideoGames. (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/r/?page=http://www.computerandvideogames.com/news/news_story.php(que)id=101757)

New Far Cry Trailer. (http://www.gametrailers.com/gt_vault/t_farcry_hammer.html)

Hmm... when they say "Xbox version of Far Cry will differ from the PC version" I hope they don't change it too much. Like UbiSoft did with Rainbow Six 3(rs3 was basically a stripped down Raven Shield, less guns, gadgets, more arcady, ect). But I guess they can't really do a straight port of Far Cry. There's no way the Xbox could handle those large lush environments with just 64mbs of ram.

l Maximus l
02-25-2004, 04:31 PM
I've played Raven Shield on the PC and, personally, I like the XBox version a lot better. But, in any regard, console games always play different than PC games...and, generally speaking, console gamers are a tad different than PC gamers, IMO, hence the reason to alter the game slightly.

LiquidX
02-25-2004, 04:36 PM
I disagree about the Xbox not being able to handle the environments... Look at Halo. Huge levels like AotCR have split second loading times while playing the level. The GTA DP has like a 1 second loading time between islands and I heard thats only to tell you which part of the level you are in (heard not confirmed). The reason they can do this is because they cache data on the HD to load it amost instantaniously. the Xbox could definatley handle the large environments in Far Cry.

bigloser
02-25-2004, 04:39 PM
Have you played the Far Cry demo? With the amount of vegetation, water, ect. I don't think really think it could.

Yankeez
02-25-2004, 04:55 PM
im gonna get it on pc, ill probably wait for when its gets a price drop while its on xbox then get it :cheers:

Hard Boiled Cop
02-26-2004, 12:58 PM
I might just do that unless they put something new for the xbox version.

BinaryXtreme
02-26-2004, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by bigloser

New Far Cry Trailer. (http://www.gametrailers.com/gt_vault/t_farcry_hammer.html)

Hmm... when they say "Xbox version of Far Cry will differ from the PC version" I hope they don't change it too much. Like UbiSoft did with Rainbow Six 3(rs3 was basically a stripped down Raven Shield, less guns, gadgets, more arcady, ect). But I guess they can't really do a straight port of Far Cry. There's no way the Xbox could handle those large lush environments with just 64mbs of ram.

If the XBOX couldn't handle it, they would not even attempt to develope it. I'm sure they're not going to release a game that crashes the XBOX, or freezes or whatever. RAM can be pushed quite a bit and the developers know that. They'll pull it off, and if they can't, they will never even attempt to do it. They know exactly what they're working with.

bigloser
02-26-2004, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by BinaryXtreme

If the XBOX couldn't handle it, they would not even attempt to develope it. I'm sure they're not going to release a game that crashes the XBOX, or freezes or whatever. RAM can be pushed quite a bit and the developers know that. They'll pull it off, and if they can't, they will never even attempt to do it. They know exactly what they're working with.

Has in "Handle" I mean it in a way that's faithful to the PC version. There's no way the developers could "Faithfully" do a straight port of the game to the Xbox. Which I imagine is the reason the developers are saying the game will differ from the PC version.

I wouldn't be surprised if they used a new engine to run the game on the Xbox(Like Ubi did with Raven Shield, Rainbow six 3 runs on a different engine than Raven Shield.)

LynxFX
02-26-2004, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by bigloser
I wouldn't be surprised if they used a new engine to run the game on the Xbox(Like Ubi did with Raven Shield, Rainbow six 3 runs on a different engine than Raven Shield.)
You keep saying this as if to say the games were supposed to be the same. Rainbow Six 3 is not Raven Shield nor was it ever going to be. It is a different game, different story and seperate from Raven Shield on the PC. Ubi has stated this numerous times. They weren't porting Raven Shield to Xbox, they were making a new game, hence the RS3 name.

Far Cry however is a different story. It will be interesting to see what they can do with the Xbox version. The PC demo, while good, didn't blow me away in the graphics department as I was expecting. We'll see what the final product looks like.