PDA

View Full Version : How much can the Microsoft XBox controller take?

E Nomini Patri
01-09-2002, 08:45 PM
I have had my main controller since X-Mas and already it's broken. The pieces inside are rattling loudly when the rumble operates and the right trigger function sticks occasionaly (not the actual trigger). And, I think that the controller that I am currently using has a worn-out rumble feature.
Have you guys had any problems with the controller breaking? I'd like to know just how tough it is. Like, can it take the kind of button-mashing trigger-smashing joystick-thrashing my brother gives it during every use? Can it take the high falls and the occasional drop on the floor? I'd like to know.

Hugh_Jass
01-09-2002, 10:27 PM
High falls?
Drop on the floor?

Treat your XBOX with respect, man!

E Nomini Patri
01-09-2002, 10:59 PM
The controller is broken possibly from extended use of the rumble function while playing Halo (Gotta love that Warthog!), my brother pressing the buttons really hard and slamming the trigger, or that one time when the phaone rang, he got up and ran to it but the cord tangled around his leg and the controller got flung halfway across the room.
I'm going to take it to Wal-Mart and get it replaced, and then buy another one so I can have 4 controllers! Another question: Do you leave your X-Box plugged in to the outlet? I read in the manual that you should unplug it when your done using it (whenever that happens :)).

alien_69
01-10-2002, 05:50 AM
one of my less used controllers has a poor responding X button. i noticed it tonite playing vs my friend who used my #1 port controller that i always use. it seemed to respond a little better after using it for three hours.

my XBox is always plugged in. got it at launch.

I game late into the night from bed cause the controller cord is so **** long i play until i can barely see.:o Barely concious I always turn the TV off with the remote and leave the XBox on all night to shut itself off after 6 hours while i doze. too bad you can't power down The X with the DVD remote or a special system command. :(

darianX
01-10-2002, 09:21 AM
I have 3 controllers, and I pitched my one controller onto the floor after losing my ass to someone in DOA3. It bounced off the floor quite loudly and it still works A-OK. Another controller has an A button has to be pressed kinda hard to activate it. All of them sorta vibrate loud but I think it's probably normal after using them. Other than that, mine seem to be holding up fine and I've had mine since Nov 15. They are definately more sturdy than those horrid N64 things they call controllers.

l Maximus l
01-10-2002, 11:42 AM
Are all the buttons responding like normal? I think I know what you mean about the XBox controller seeming to "rattle" inside. It's not rattling inside at all, actually. The XBox controller feature double rumble engines, therefore, it has the most powerful rumble feature compared to any console controller ever made. I have three of them, and, if my volume is really low on my TV, that is the only time I can hear a rattle sound...it's only because the rumble feature is exceptionally strong.

Unless the controller is not performing up to par, it should be just fine. I never noticed anything until I was required to turn the volume down since I was playing in the wee hours of the morning (late at night) and my wife told me to "turn down the volume!!!" lol :D

I find that the XBox controller is the most durable controller I have ever played with next to the DC controller. But, even the XBox controller seems to be more durable. But, whatever you do, don't drop it! lol That's not a good thing...since the XBox controller is more dense, it's heavier, therefore, the bigger they are, the harder they fall.

Chr0nik
01-10-2002, 11:45 AM
I have 4 controllers ( 2 microsoft, 2 madcatz)

They all work fine, even after our ritual Friday night button mashing session

I think Microsoft did a fine job in building a rigid controller.

I also have a 3 year warranty for an in store replacement on the controllers. Even if the controller works fine, I can get it replaced no questions asked.

Snoopy7548
01-10-2002, 06:13 PM
i also have the "rattling" sound in one of my controllers. maybe when the controller shakes, it also causes some of the buttons to move and maybe thats causing the sound

X-Fox220
01-10-2002, 06:18 PM
my Xbox controller broke two...about a week or two after Christmas my dad said he thought it fell off the dresser...

Slash10
01-10-2002, 06:44 PM
The rumbling in my main controller is kinda weak and feels like its about to wear out but i give it a lil shake and its fixed. But its nothing major anyway so im not worried

batman46st
01-10-2002, 08:04 PM
i treat my controler with respect sure i threw it one time on the floor trying to beat halo on legendary (succededtoday) but i gave it a kiss when i picked it upand apoligised to it...

WynnFire
01-11-2002, 02:31 AM
I played the demo of Tony Hawk 2X and the vibrating kept going on and on. Even when I would jump and would be in mid air.

Lately I have been beating the crap out of mine because of Dead or Alive 3 and mine still kicks ass. The only major problem with it I have had was with the game Dave Mirra Freestyle 2. It drove me crazy but, now the game is back to where it came from. To me, this is the most durable, rugged controller I have ever used. :mad:

Twisted J
01-11-2002, 03:51 PM
my INTERACT controller broke the day after launch. i took it back and got a microsoft one and it works fine

Alec
01-11-2002, 08:14 PM
I got a microsoft one treated it with respect and on the 3rd week the start button gets jammed, i have to press really hard in order for it to work. :(

Frostberg
01-11-2002, 10:03 PM
BOTH my controllers suck...My main one has the left trigger "stick" so in Halo is you throw a gernade it throws all of em at once, and in SSX tricky it does the annoying grab so whenever you get above the ground it does a automatic grab, making it impossible to play...so I started to use my 2nd controller and the thing is starting to do the same thing, only with the right trigger this time...now I find it odd because my 1st controller went bad with the left trigger, but the main game I was playing was halo, and id say you use the right trigger a wholeeee lot more than the left one so Im sonfused...I took apart the beast and its not like I spiled some sticky beverage on it or anything so I am baffeled. I will prolly call the 18004myxbox or whatever and see if they can replace it...its just weird that both of my controllers seem to do it, and on top of that I dont know why...too much violent gernade thrashings with halo perhaps?

OG-Love
01-12-2002, 07:52 AM
The left directional button (not the analog stick) on my controller got stuck once and The Master Chief just kept running to the right. It hasn't done it again though.