PDA

View Full Version : Case/Controller Mods

tangwu
02-29-2004, 08:43 PM
Hey has anyone out here done any modding of there XBOX Case or Controllers? I really wanna add/change LCDs to my Contollers... and thinkin about painting my XBOX with some cool glow in the dark paint... if ya have any mods can ya please post some pics... and what u used and how u did it... thanks

revernd
02-29-2004, 09:00 PM
i went the lazy route and got a carbon fibre skin for the console and for the contollers.. skinefx.com... looks pretty good, easy to install and no bubbles..

tangwu
02-29-2004, 09:21 PM
No i really dont wanna go the sticker route...

Sigma
02-29-2004, 10:10 PM
I haven't done it yet, I plan on adding a LCD display to the front of my Xbox if I ever get around to doing it (the LCD mod) I will post pics.

please do not discuss mod chips. Case modding and anything that doesn't directly or indirectly mod your internal hardware of your xbox can be discussed.
Thanks!

Chaotic
02-29-2004, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by tangwu
Hey has anyone out here done any modding of there XBOX Case or Controllers? I really wanna add/change LCDs to my Contollers... and thinkin about painting my XBOX with some cool glow in the dark paint... if ya have any mods can ya please post some pics... and what u used and how u did it... thanks

Heres pictures of mine. Please NOTE this is a modded case and led setup only. ;)

http://www.visonaryessence.com/images/xbox.jpg
http://www.visonaryessence.com/images/led.jpg
http://www.visonaryessence.com/images/led1.jpg

revernd
02-29-2004, 11:35 PM
damn thats sweet, is the led mod time consuming and pricy? any issues with heat?

Chaotic
02-29-2004, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by revernd
damn thats sweet, is the led mod time consuming and pricy? any issues with heat?

It's not really all that expensive. Basically what I did was add cold cathode fan grills to the inside of the jewel and i installed a switch on the outside that allows me to turn them on and off. Also to keep it cool i added a 80mm LED fan and added some artic silver to my CPU,GPU which also has a heatsink. Also remeber if you plan on doing any case modification that require you to open your xbox it will void your warranty.

Professor Kaos
02-29-2004, 11:51 PM
Hey chaotic, does that Evolution X have any actually meaning? Or did ya just like the jewel? Oh and I have led's installed in my front panel and when u plug in a controler the led lights up and when u unplug it, it turns off.

ScorpionX
02-29-2004, 11:53 PM

Here (http://www.xboxaddict.com) us an excellent place to look at other people's mods and to find tutorials :)

Shhhhh Playya, can't talk about modding here!

Sorry dude i have to edit that link. Providing a link to a site that promotes modding is a no.. no..

Professor Kaos
02-29-2004, 11:54 PM
It was just a simple "yes it has significane" or "No, I just liked it"

Chaotic
02-29-2004, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Playya
Hey chaotic, does that Evolution X have any actually meaning? Or did ya just like the jewel? Oh and I have led's installed in my front panel and when u plug in a controler the led lights up and when u unplug it, it turns off.

Nope, it's just a jewel ;) I liked the look of it. :D

Professor Kaos
02-29-2004, 11:59 PM
Okay chaotic just makin sure :D, and btw here (http://www.xboxaddict.com/) is a good place for ideas and tutorials.

You too. bad bad bad!!! No links to modding sites.... :p

Chaotic
03-01-2004, 12:02 AM
Lets try to stay on topic and discuss only case modding. If you guys want to post links to sites that show pictures and give ideas please make sure it's not blasting with ads that are trying to sell mod chips and what not. We need to keep it clean around here :cheers:

imacsae
03-01-2004, 08:45 AM
Well I just painted mine. It wasn't all that difficult. Just take your time masking and keep a steady hand when painting. It is all about thin coats. I used dupli-color automotive paint. It is available at auto zone and checker auto parts in a variety of colors. The acrylic paints bond to plastic very well.

http://utminers.utep.edu/imachado/club_stuff/redxbox.JPG

Chaotic
03-01-2004, 10:05 AM
Duplicolor is a good paint to use because it's nozel works well. Your's turned out nicely. Mine is also painted, i airbrushed it with model paint.

XezekielX
03-01-2004, 03:20 PM
do you have to "open" the controller (remove the screws and all) to paint it? i wanted to paint mine but i didn't want to risk to break it

Chaotic
03-01-2004, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by XezekielX
do you have to "open" the controller (remove the screws and all) to paint it? i wanted to paint mine but i didn't want to risk to break it

It's very simple to open the controller. There are 4 screws and thats about it.

I doubt you will break it.

ScorpionX
03-01-2004, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by ChaoticMage-XBA

There are 7 screws on the S controller, not sure about the regular one....:watchout:

Professor Kaos
03-01-2004, 05:36 PM
Awww chaotic, it was just for ideas........

BinaryXtreme
03-01-2004, 05:49 PM
Mine is green orb skinned. I've seen 2 XBOXs in person that were painted and the paint looked horrible up close but when they sent me a pic, it looked sweet. I don't know but when I go to car shows too, you can always see what was spray painted and what was powder coated etc. I'd say, if you're going to take the time to paint it, do it right. Don't just spray paint it. Prep it nice first. Man if these were metal cases, i'd do a trick color of powder coat.

imacsae
03-01-2004, 08:50 PM
The original controller has 7 screws as well. It was very simple to take apart and reassemble. If you are careful with your masking you do not have to take it apart. Just carefully mask off the triggers. The paint looks great up close as well as in pictures. Automotive paint usually does. I have gotten pretty good with a spray can since I am often painting offroad light housings and bumpers for friends.

wbio
03-01-2004, 09:54 PM
I'm working on modding my case right now, but lately I've been a little lazy, but here it is so far, I still need to straighten the cuts more, add plexiglass, finish the dvd spindle (so you can see the game), add a red cold cathode, and organize the wiring and put the jewel back on, lol:

http://www.genxbox.com/images/xb0002.JPG

Chaotic
03-01-2004, 10:20 PM
looking good so far :cheers:

ScorpionX
03-01-2004, 10:29 PM
Looks great, wonder what that blue light is ;)

I'm currently modding my controller :cheers:

l Maximus l
03-02-2004, 01:07 AM
I have the XBoxaddict skin on mine :D

Sometimes, ya gotta keep it real

Highlite23
03-02-2004, 10:35 AM
http://www.highlite23.com/imagesXBA/My_xboxP.jpg

Simple and clean.:D

themoosearmy
03-02-2004, 12:07 PM
I"m gonna wait a while and if I have some free time, I'd like to Steeler-ize my xbox, but right now I have too much going on to bother, I mean, I play video games so I'm already lazy as it is.

Cryogenic Pyro
03-02-2004, 12:40 PM

Yea, it's very simple to open, but is hard as hell to close. It took my like 2 hours or more to close my damn controller after I opened it for cleaning a sticky button :cuss:.

wbio
03-02-2004, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Cryogenic Pyro

Yea, it's very simple to open, but is hard as hell to close. It took my like 2 hours or more to close my damn controller after I opened it for cleaning a sticky button :cuss:.
The easiest way to do it is to turn the front of the controller upside down and stick the buttons in and then put the little gray padding things in on top of those and then put the bottom part on, it takes about 2 minutes max

imacsae
03-02-2004, 07:53 PM
I agree with the controller assembly instructions it took just a minute or so to put it back together.

Cool idea on the windows and lit fan something I might think about in the future..

I love the 2 tone paint job it looks great and is very simple and classic. I might just steal that idea and add another color to my box.

tangwu
03-05-2004, 08:32 PM
Is there any sites that give step 2 step sites that give details how 2 do this...

Chaotic
03-05-2004, 08:36 PM
Is there any sites that give step 2 step sites that give details how 2 do this...

I'm not going to post the links to those sites since they are loaded with how to MOD and what not.

Just do a search on google for " xbox case modding" and see what you find.

tangwu
03-05-2004, 09:09 PM
Just find alot of cr@p on Stickers and modding ... i really just wanna mess with lights and windows... not thinkin about mod chips... but anyways ... if ya have any good sites ... or if u personally have done anything please email me @ tangwu2k2@yahoo.com

Angell
03-05-2004, 09:47 PM
I love looking through the pictures in these type of threads.... even more so when the get super artistic like ChaoticMage-XBA's design that used a sweet paint job in sync with some awsome lighting...

Total Cheers :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

CMX Jedi
03-06-2004, 12:02 PM
im scared to take my xbox apart

tangwu
03-06-2004, 11:31 PM
Yea i just love looking @ whats possible... people do AMAZING things with a big hunky plastic box... gotta love it

Angell
03-07-2004, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by dudeman48174
im scared to take my xbox apart

Dudeman, I know what your talking about. I'm the same way... If I destroyed my box (even though its out of warenty) I would feel sick... Maybe when the Xbox 2 comes out... if its backwards compatable, then (and only then) will I think about tearing into my Xbox. I can't wait to see its guts :)

Chaotic
03-07-2004, 02:35 AM
Hey dude if you need help go ahead and send me a PM.

imacsae
03-08-2004, 07:45 PM
I went ahead and painted my spare controller. It does not match the box but I wanted to do it anyway. This time I went for a two tone design. It turned out ok but I did not spend enough time on the taping and had some bleed. It is barely noticeable though so it is fine for me. Daily use will add nicks to the paint anyway. Let me know what you think.

http://utminers.utep.edu/imachado/club_stuff/DSC01130.JPG

Suicidemouse
03-09-2004, 10:07 PM
Please do not discuss modification of your xbox on this site. If you have a question i'm sure you can figure out which mods to PM.

Thanks

tangwu
03-10-2004, 01:01 AM
Hey dont talk about modding the inside of ur XBOX on this sight... its cool .. just dont do it here... go 2 Xboxscene ... Hey what kinda paint is everyone using... i mean i dont want it 2 rub off on me... do u put multiple coats? etc

MikeMan91389
03-11-2004, 11:25 PM
man o man, all this makes me want to paint mine, so i am gunna :)

Chaotic
03-12-2004, 08:17 AM
Hey dont talk about modding the inside of ur XBOX on this sight... its cool .. just dont do it here... go 2 Xboxscene ... Hey what kinda paint is everyone using... i mean i dont want it 2 rub off on me... do u put multiple coats? etc

I use testors model paint and mix it myself then spray it through my air brush :)

Then i put a Glossy sealent on afterwards to seal all the paint and then i put a coat of wax on it. It's about as durable as a cars finish ;)

MikeMan91389
03-12-2004, 11:21 PM

I use testors model paint and mix it myself then spray it through my air brush :)

Then i put a Glossy sealent on afterwards to seal all the paint and then i put a coat of wax on it. It's about as durable as a cars finish ;)

whoa thats crazy

OH, for people who arent good with stuff like that and wiring, eBay has sum stuff up, like the lil controller cord that plugs in, u can get the light up wiring pre done for pretty cheap, so if u dont have the time eBay is one of many answers

themoosearmy
03-12-2004, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by MikeMan91389

whoa thats crazy

OH, for people who arent good with stuff like that and wiring, eBay has sum stuff up, like the lil controller cord that plugs in, u can get the light up wiring pre done for pretty cheap, so if u dont have the time eBay is one of many answers

Ebay is the answer to everything, lol.

I think the only thing I want is a nice big Steeler symbol right where the jewel is on my box, or just paint one on. If anyone knows where I can get some sweet NFL decals tho, that'd be sweet.

tangwu
03-13-2004, 02:38 PM
I just want a real dumbys guide to wiring and painting