PDA

View Full Version : Grand Theft Auto versus Halo 2

StudioAlex
03-01-2004, 09:38 AM
As many of you saw on the xboxaddict news page (http://www.xboxaddict.com/news/view.php?News_ID=4461), GTA: San Andreas will be coming out this fall, presumabley around the same time as Halo 2. So I'm asking, which will be king?

I think GTA will out sell Halo 2, but not as much as most people assume. There are going to be a lot of people with enough money for just one game, I think those that can will choose Halo 2. Why? Because it will be a better game.

GTA:VC pushed the PS2 to its limits. Any improvements I foresee as being neglible, especially when compared to the difference between Halo and Halo 2. Perhaps if rockstar had gone for quality over huge returns(fat chance, I know) and developed GTA for the Box, then I would be more optimistic about a new chapter in the series.

I love both GTA and Halo, but where Halo 2 will be a bold revolutionary leap forward, the new installment of GTA looks only to be a small evolutionary baby-step

My predictions: Halo 2 for GotY from most major publications. GTA will sell six to seven million copies where Halo 2 willl sell around four.

mattgame
03-01-2004, 10:15 AM
I don't think Halo 2 will be game of the year though. I agree with everything else you said. I don't know why but I am looking forward to being disappointed by Halo 2. I guess it's taking too long and it makes me feel as though there is a problem with the game.

Hard Boiled Cop
03-01-2004, 11:03 AM
The GTA series is well known throughout the world. Its the most popular game on the PS2 and the xbox so the chances of selling more than Halo 2 will be higher for the GTA series. Mainly because PS2 owners don't have Halo and Halo 2 is CERTAINLY not coming out on their console.

Halo 2 is gonna be 10 times better than the original. Halo was better than GTA 3/VC put together.

Faust
03-01-2004, 12:36 PM
Mafia was a much better game than any GTA. And I believe Mafia 2 will wreck that series even more. With Halo2 we're comparing apples and oranges when talking about gameplay. However I believe Halo2 will be a much better experience. I would imagine at first GTA: San Andreas will sell relatively better, albeit not raising the bar; they still can't get rid of the clunky controls. In any case, I'll be picking up both.

BinaryXtreme
03-01-2004, 02:25 PM
Not even fair to have the 2 compete. Halo 2 all the way!

CRAYMAN
03-01-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by StudioAlex

I think GTA will out sell Halo 2, but not as much as most people assume. There are going to be a lot of people with enough money for just one game, I think those that can will choose Halo 2. Why? Because it will be a better game.

You're contradicting yourself!:huh:

lotec16
03-01-2004, 02:37 PM
GTA will most definetly outsell Halo 2, 70million consoles to 15 million. BUT if you go in terms of ratios, 10mil:15mil for halo 2 and 30mil:70mil for GTA then halo will most definatly win for game per console.

StudioAlex
03-01-2004, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by CRAYMAN

You're contradicting yourself!:huh:

I was working under the assumption that the prospective base for a PS2 only game is much larger than the base for an Xbox exclusive. I was saying that people who have both systems but only have the cash available for one game at the time would probably choose Halo 2.

GTA will outsell Halo because the installed base for the PS2 is many times higher than the Xbox's. I'm not saying it will be a better game. Those that have the ability to choose but can only choose one, will choose Halo 2. Thus GTA SA may not hit the 10 million plus mark like its two predecesors.

themoosearmy
03-01-2004, 03:05 PM
It doesn't matter who outsells who, Halo 2 will be a better game.
1. It's multiplayer (16+ player capability)
2. It's online capable
3. It's the sequel to a former GotY, 4 million copy seller
4. It's on the XBOX which immediately makes it better than the GTA (for PoS2 that is).

LiquidX
03-01-2004, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by t_howell
I don't think Halo 2 will be game of the year though. I agree with everything else you said. I don't know why but I am looking forward to being disappointed by Halo 2. I guess it's taking too long and it makes me feel as though there is a problem with the game.

So you would rather them rush it out ASAP and have another Brute Force or Enter the Matrix on our hands? It takes a lot of effort and a lot of TIME to make a great game. Bungie will have taken at least 3 years (from the time H1 was released) to make Halo 2. This means they are putting their best effort and a ton of time to make it a great game. Halo 2 will blow us all away!

Oh and GTA SA will be nothing new... steal a car,run people over, screw a prostitute, blah, blah, blah... My vote H2 all the way!

lotec16
03-01-2004, 04:00 PM
I wonder if bungie has got a xbox 2 SDK with intentions of halo 3.

Madhattr
03-01-2004, 04:40 PM
I don't see why everyone like GTA, I found it had ****ty graphics and boring game play. It wasn't much of a driving game and it wasn't much of a shooting game.
There wont be anything exclusivily on any other system that will compare to Halo 2.

xbox genius
03-01-2004, 05:07 PM
Great thread.

For sure GTA SA will outsell halo 2 cuz of the fanbase... but GTA SA wont be anything new in my opinon.... GTA 3 steal cars and GTA VC same thing as GTA3 but you can buy buildings now..... GTA SA wont reveal anytyhing revolutionary to the series... it will just be another game in another theme.

so i say halo 2 wins in my opinion... oh and i think halo 2 will win game of the year too. no doubt about it. i'm getting the feeling halo 2 will score a perfect 10 on gamespot since halo scored 9.7 on gamespot i believe....

batman46st
03-01-2004, 06:41 PM
I think gta will outsell halo2 just cause of more ps2 owners in the world... However as to how many people rather have halo2 than gta i think on that pole halo 2, wins... and i too am waiting for halo2 to dissapoint me even though i believe the push back is all because of how high on demand it is. i dont know when u hype up something so much it is very rarly that it is how we all believe its gonna be... and grand theft auto should really make a game in new york..

E Nomini Patri
03-01-2004, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by batman46st
and i too am waiting for halo2 to dissapoint me even though i believe the push back is all because of how high on demand it is.

You tell me where Bungie ever announced a release date before Fall 2004 and I will say the game was delayed.

;)

batman46st
03-01-2004, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Zero Flaw

You tell me where Bungie ever announced a release date before Fall 2004 and I will say the game was delayed.

;)

well they had the month and date on toys r us and gamespot to be march now they have delayed it to what september i think. However i am just going by website info...

kenji
03-01-2004, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Hard Boiled Cop
Its the most popular game on the PS2 and the xbox :huh: GTA was a hit on Xbox, but I still think that it is a good game at best. I doubt that it is the most popular.

Halo 2 all the way. GTA doesn't take that much skill, maybe some driving skills, but that's about it. Halo 2 takes more skills if you want to win at multiplayer (non-exsistent in GTA) and missions on legendary.

E Nomini Patri
03-01-2004, 06:54 PM

well they had the month and date on toys r us and gamespot to be march now they have delayed it to what september i think. However i am just going by website info...

Only Bungie is the holder of the Tru7h...

m4oH
03-01-2004, 07:40 PM
That shouldnt even be a poll. Halo 2 kills GTA anyday!:D

BananaMan
03-01-2004, 08:05 PM
kinda one sided, huh?:D halo 2>GTA san ghey

George89
03-01-2004, 08:16 PM
After playing GTA DP, I've realized that the GTA seris is a little over rated.

E Nomini Patri
03-01-2004, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by George89
After playing GTA DP, I've realized that the GTA seris is a little over rated.

A little overrated?

poop > GTA

Trento52
03-01-2004, 09:14 PM
GTA is over rated but still is a good game. But even though i don't care much for halo i might even pick it up. Plus The new GTA will be nothing new or exciting or looking they just change the date of the games and personally after playing through all GTA 3 Vice city felt boring and overplayed.

mitchrules1
03-01-2004, 10:23 PM
halo 2 by far

StudioAlex
03-02-2004, 01:34 PM
and grand theft auto should really make a game in new york..

Yeah, umm, that was GTA 3...

BananaMan
03-02-2004, 02:57 PM
... and grand theft auto should really make a game in new york..

You sure aren't from the deep end of the gene pool are ya?:rofl: :rofl:

Jester927
03-02-2004, 05:06 PM
halo 2 is gunna be crazy online

Ford Mustang
03-02-2004, 05:35 PM
Definitely Halo 2. I mean, GTA is great, but they only last so long and have no multiplayer. I still play the original Halo today and it's more than 2 years old. :)