PDA

View Full Version : first time xbox problems

Slowride
03-02-2004, 04:34 PM
twice now lately (both times I was hosting a game on live) my xbox has frozen. When it freezes it makes a loud buzzing sound. It's not under warranty or nuthin so i can take it apart and what not....what do yall think the problem is? Could it be as simple as getting compressed air?

Jester927
03-02-2004, 04:56 PM
a buzzing sound? you should get it checked out...

Max33
03-02-2004, 04:56 PM
Sounds like the Flux Capacitor.Try to keep it under 88 mph.

Slowride
03-02-2004, 06:29 PM
well this was certainly enlightening.....

l Maximus l
03-02-2004, 11:53 PM
Try cleaning the lense with a Q-Tip...seriously.

Also, keep it under 88 mph, too :D

BinaryXtreme
03-03-2004, 02:25 AM
Mine has done that before too but only on Wolfenstein. Hasn't done it in a long time though. I read that if a modded XBOX is playing on the same connection, they can freeze up your XBOX. Everytime mine did it the people playing were floating in the air and couldn't be killed etc. Has something to do with the Live connection. Not your XBOX. Mine has never done that off of Live and I'm sure yours hasn't either. Hope this helped. :D

Slowride
03-03-2004, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by BinaryXtreme
Mine has done that before too but only on Wolfenstein. Hasn't done it in a long time though. I read that if a modded XBOX is playing on the same connection, they can freeze up your XBOX. Everytime mine did it the people playing were floating in the air and couldn't be killed etc. Has something to do with the Live connection. Not your XBOX. Mine has never done that off of Live and I'm sure yours hasn't either. Hope this helped. :D

No it hasn't happened off of Live but I never play off of Live either. You're explanation gives me hope and I hope thats the problem although I don't understand why it would freeze my xbox....

Hero
03-03-2004, 09:30 AM
mines freezes alot when i play games like morrowind...so i wouldnt get to scared if it freezes on or off live every now and then..the xbox is almost like a computer and computers tend to freeze every now and then..

Shadow20002
03-03-2004, 12:30 PM
Only Morrowind....the others work great for me..

Max33
03-03-2004, 02:13 PM
Yeah boy, Morrowind was freezin up like crazy. In part to a crappy thompson drive.I had to turn down all the settings & turn off the shadows & try to avoid rain, fog and (espeically) heavy winds. There for a while I couldnt go a 100 feet in the Red Mountain region without it freezin up.Talk about frustration!

Slowride
03-03-2004, 04:04 PM
well this problem keeps happening so I called 18004myxbox and that was a complete waste of my time. First I listened to very crappy music for 5 minutes, then I had to give the operator a lot of personal info for sum reason (no good reason), then all she told me when i described my problem was "make sure it's not near and heat related items such as an inferno and that it has proper ventilation." I was like well no ****....how much training did you go through to come up with that? Then she told me I should send my xbox in for repairs for 90 dollars plus shipping and handling but that I'd get a free 1 yr service warranty. When she said the 1 yr warranty would be free I could only laugh....sigh. I just said i'd give it some more time to see if i can fix the problem on my own. Even if my xbox will always have this problem theres no way i'm spending 100 bucks for a repair. jesus cristo!

LiquidX
03-03-2004, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Max33
Yeah boy, Morrowind was freezin up like crazy. In part to a crappy thompson drive.I had to turn down all the settings & turn off the shadows & try to avoid rain, fog and (espeically) heavy winds. There for a while I couldnt go a 100 feet in the Red Mountain region without it freezin up.Talk about frustration!

99% of Morrowinds freezes and DDE's were caused by bad programming, not a problem with the Xbox. Lately I have been having problems with a copy of KotOR I borrowed from a friend. The cutscenes are jumpy and sometimes it freezes during a load screen. When I try to start the game back up it wont even load... I get a DDE at the Xbox dashboard. After a while though it works fine. I think mines just dirty. Our furnace recently went out and it threw soot all over... Anyways good luck with your Xbox.

bostwick202
03-03-2004, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Hero
mines freezes alot when i play games like morrowind...so i wouldnt get to scared if it freezes on or off live every now and then..the xbox is almost like a computer and computers tend to freeze every now and then..

hmm... that kindof remindes me of *cough*windows*cough*

BananaMan
03-03-2004, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by ChampTTU
twice now lately (both times I was hosting a game on live) my xbox has frozen. When it freezes it makes a loud buzzing sound. It's not under warranty or nuthin so i can take it apart and what not....what do yall think the problem is? Could it be as simple as getting compressed air?

what game? because i know on ghost recon and ghost recon:island thunder if you host too many than your suppossed to and it lags out it'll do that and just freeze and make the buzzing sound. Nothing you can do about it, and ubi is aware and they said they couldn't do nuttin. So oh well.