PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft To Buy Midway?

bigloser
03-04-2004, 12:50 PM
A press release this morning indicates that Bill Gates is interested in Midway.

It's no secret that Midway Games has been struggling. The company has reported 12 consecutive quarterly losses and has suffered a 75% drop in it's stock. Fortunately for Midway Viacom chairman, Sumner Redstone, likes Midway and has recently spent $16.5 million on 4.8 million shares. Interestingly enough, it looks like the world's most famous CEO, Bill Gates, is thinking of buying shares as well.

Investors watching the situation closely speculate that Midway is a prime candidate for a takeover. The company makes good games and is owner to some of the world's most famous franchises, such as Mortal Kombat and the Blitz sports series. Microsoft needs more games as they struggle to catch up to Sony who controls 67% of the video game market in the US.

Analyst believe that if Bill Gates enters into the fray it will spark a bidding war between the Viacom Chairman, Mr. Redstone and Gates. It will be interesting to see if Microsoft will be able to acquire another rather large publishing house.
ยป Mike Viscel
GamerFeed. (http://microsoft.gamerfeed.com/gf/news/5667/)

Crazy Joe
03-04-2004, 12:57 PM
wow, that would be a big deal.. Midway is huge.

Mortal Kombat exclusive to Xbox?

mattgame
03-04-2004, 01:03 PM
Do it to them Bill! Midway would be big, huge, tremendous. :cheers:

SmileBit
03-04-2004, 01:18 PM
I think MS should be alot more carfull now. They bought Rare and got burned. now they want to buy another huge development house that has next to no talent and 1 big franchise?

Nintendo buys Silicon Knights and Retro Studios. MS buys Rare and Midway? See the difference?

StudioAlex
03-04-2004, 01:38 PM
Why midway? When was the last time they made a decent game?

No, Mortal Kombat doesn't count.

[autoargument to anyone bothering to respond]It sucks. And I have excellent taste. If you like it, there is something wrong with you. I'm not an idiot, or a moron. The game is lame. [/argument]

Crazy Joe
03-04-2004, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by SmileBit
I think MS should be alot more carfull now. They bought Rare and got burned. now they want to buy another huge development house that has next to no talent and 1 big franchise?

Nintendo buys Silicon Knights and Retro Studios. MS buys Rare and Midway? See the difference?

well RARE only has one game out on Xbox, it's yet to be seen whether they will get a big return on their investment. Midway has a huge history and alot of big franchises, Blitz, Hitz, Slugfest, Mortal Kombat, Spy Hunter, NARC, etc.

mattgame
03-04-2004, 02:16 PM
Rare is not done yet. I think Conker will be a great game a breakthrough, oh who am I kiddin', be careful out there Bill.:(

SmileBit
03-04-2004, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Crazy Joe

well RARE only has one game out on Xbox, it's yet to be seen whether they will get a big return on their investment. Midway has a huge history and alot of big franchises, Blitz, Hitz, Slugfest, Mortal Kombat, Spy Hunter, NARC, etc.

Blitz - Sucks
Hits - Sucks
Slufest - Sucks
Mortal Kobat - OK but I can name 5 better fighting franchises out there.
Spy Hunter - The first one was GOOD. The last one sucked
Narc - Aint out yet and itll probably suck.

Slowride
03-04-2004, 02:46 PM
I'm not big on Midway, but I see that this could help. Hitz and Mortal kombat both have wide popularity.

George89
03-04-2004, 02:49 PM
Midway's only decent seris is Mortal Kombat

Sigma
03-04-2004, 02:51 PM
Midway's best days were spent in arcades across america. Midway hasn't really delivered much as far as console exclusive games go. I think buying Midway would be a bad idea by MS.

Midway also can't make Hitz and Blitz. As over the top as they used to be which was the appeal of those games (still didn't make them good).

An Xbox sequel to The Grid with Xbox Live multiplayer would be awesome though.

bigloser
03-04-2004, 03:35 PM

Blitz - Sucks
Hits - Sucks
Slufest - Sucks

The original NARC was great, ever play it?

Shadow20002
03-04-2004, 04:05 PM
Hmm...MK exclusive ...WOW !

Crazy Joe
03-04-2004, 06:04 PM

Blitz - Sucks
Hits - Sucks
Slufest - Sucks

Blitz and Slugfest may suck, but they have a place in console gaming.... Hitz is great as far as i'm concerned..

there may be better franchises than Mortal Kombat, but think of the potential of the franchise with MS backing and pressuring Midway into returning it to glory. same with Spy Hunter..

as for Narc, have your READ anything about this game?? it sounds AMAZING...

BinaryXtreme
03-04-2004, 06:18 PM
Very interesting. Wonder if he'll really buy it? hmmmmmmmmmm?

Hero
03-04-2004, 07:22 PM
some of you are forgetting that rare has "killer instinct" in its library. as for midway i agree Mortal kombat is its only good game but even thats old and played out. people wont keep buying every single mortal kombat that comes out.

unless they figure out how to make virtual reality fighting! hey i can dream right :eek:

Max33
03-04-2004, 07:24 PM
Go ahead an buy it Billy-Boy, you can afford it.Do me a favor an straighten out Mortal Kombat will ya?!!! (DA was a dissapointment)

faceoff508
03-04-2004, 08:19 PM
You know how about they make life easier and buy Sony next. You know, it would make things great. How about they go get after Nintendo after Sony...YEAH!!!

Trento52
03-04-2004, 08:28 PM
i don't care for midway and i think grabbed by the gouhlies or whatever was gay and crappy. Midway will be crappy IMO but it would be impressive to have mortal kombat exclusive. That game is pretty huge and good.

BananaMan
03-04-2004, 08:31 PM

Blitz - Sucks
Hits - Sucks
Slufest - Sucks

dude you are so wrong on blitz, old school blitz like the first ones that come out were the best on N64, the new one sucks! but i can't remember a time that i didn't love to stick my friends when they was over, those were teh days;)

themoosearmy
03-05-2004, 12:25 AM

Blitz - Sucks
Hits - Sucks
Slufest - Sucks

Hitz is the best hockey series out in my opinion, I get the new one every year, so it better still get made. BLitz and slugfest do suck tho, but hitz has been developed by some great companies (formerly black box, and now New Age)

Ninja
03-05-2004, 08:29 AM
They should forget about getting Midway and make Game Arts there bit@h.

Trento52
03-05-2004, 06:06 PM
Who is Game Arts??? And what is goo dabout them??

Ninja
03-05-2004, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Trento52
Who is Game Arts??? And what is goo dabout them??

They make a few RPGs.

l Maximus l
03-06-2004, 02:13 AM
I can reconcile anyone who thinks that buying Midway would be a bad idea. Seriously...imagine games like Mortal Kombat being EXCLUSIVE to the XBox and actually utilizing the hardware to it's full potential.

Also, let's say you're not a person who likes Midway games...just don't buy them. Are there not plenty of other games out there that can be played on your XBox?

Seriously...I just don't understand why people are all freaked out by this.

peejay
03-06-2004, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by BananaMan
dude you are so wrong on blitz, old school blitz like the first ones that come out were the best on N64, the new one sucks! but i can't remember a time that i didn't love to stick my friends when they was over, those were teh days;)

Blitz used to be the junk on N64. That and Super Smash Bros. Me and my freinds used to alternate between those two everyday throughout the summer. Those were the days...