PDA

View Full Version : What Does the Word "Gaiden" Mean?

selowitch
03-04-2004, 01:13 PM
Prompted by the release of Tecmo's Ninja Gaiden, I find myself wondering if anybody knows what the (presumably) Japanese word gaiden means, if anything?

I realize a lot of these words in game names are sometimes utter nonsense. Any insights from the peanut gallery here?

StudioAlex
03-04-2004, 01:43 PM
Side Story

It's usually a way to describe a break from the normal direction, as in, a focus on one character from another, already established story. I'm not sdure why Ninja Gaiden uses the name, since it's not a spin off from another game. I guess it conceivabley is now that there is DOA. But whatever. It means side story.

selowitch
03-04-2004, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by StudioAlex
Side Story

It's usually a way to describe a break from the normal direction, as in, a focus on one character from another, already established story. I'm not sdure why Ninja Gaiden uses the name, since it's not a spin off from another game. I guess it conceivabley is now that there is DOA. But whatever. It means side story.
So we might therefore translate it A Ninja Tale?

StudioAlex
03-04-2004, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by selowitch

So we might therefore translate it A Ninja Tale?

Dah.

mattgame
03-04-2004, 02:21 PM
The word means small room inhabited by homosexuals. Gaiden.:eek:

LiquidX
03-04-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by t_howell
The word means small room inhabited by homosexuals. Gaiden.:eek:

Thats why i pronounce it Guide-in not Ghey-den...

Hard Boiled Cop
03-04-2004, 02:45 PM
I remember when I first pronounce that word. I thought it said 'Gay'-den until my mate pronounced it Guy'-den.

Stagliano
03-04-2004, 03:31 PM
Is this something to do with the self-named Fabulous Five (http://www.bravotv.com/Queer_Eye_for_the_Straight_Guy/)? Are they masters of ancient martial arts? There I was thinking they just had good taste in interior decorating.

StudioAlex
03-04-2004, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Hard Boiled Cop
I remember when I first pronounce that word. I thought it said 'Gay'-den until my mate pronounced it Guy'-den.

Well, if you care that much you better start pronouncing ninja as neen ja. Of course, everyoine will look at you like you're retarded, but we must all bear our crosses.

Koopa
03-04-2004, 05:50 PM
I'm pretty sure Gaiden means side-story or something like that....for all you oldschoolers, you'll remember when Majora's Mask on the N64 was being developed as Zelda Gaiden on the 64DD

http://ign64.ign.com/articles/069/069708p1.html

here they call it a semi-sequel.

selowitch
03-04-2004, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Koopa
I'm pretty sure Gaiden means side-story or something like that..

Yeah, that's what StudioAlex said above.