PDA

View Full Version : Confirmed: Xbox 2 will not have a hard drive!!

Gingerbreadman
03-04-2004, 05:34 PM
Confirmed: No Hard Drive in Xbox 2 (http://news.teamxbox.com/content.php?id=5518) :eek:

In an interview with Globe, M-Systems President and CEO Dov Moran confirmed what gamers have been speculating for months. Xbox 2 won't have a hard disc. When asked about its technology development agreement with Microsoft Corporation, Mr Moran said:

”It’s a cooperation agreement. The potential isn’t clear, but it’s in the billions of dollars. Microsoft has taken the hard disk out of its Xbox. The only thing left will be a CD; that’s all. At some point, when users want to save their e-mail messages, copy music, or anything like that, the only storage they’ll have is what we give them. It’s worth hundreds of millions to the company, spread over a few years, and we’ll be the main supplier for it; and I hope the sole supplier.

”Meanwhile, development is intense, and requires expenses, although not major ones. We’ll start supply only in 2005.”

Last month, M-Systems Flash Disk Pioneers Ltd. (Nasdaq: FLSH) announced it entered into a technology development agreement with Microsoft Corporation to develop customized memory units for “future Xbox products”.

"What we're going to offer for the Xbox doesn't currently exist," Ronit Maor, Chief Financial Officer of the Israel-based unit said.

DZNUTZ
03-04-2004, 05:41 PM
b.s.

BlindSniper
03-04-2004, 05:46 PM
hmmm, is that really true?

Gingerbreadman
03-04-2004, 05:48 PM
Well, it's not a joke:cry:

WynnFire
03-04-2004, 05:54 PM
Are you sure we can trust them? Microsoft hasn't said anything about the hard drive to the public yet, have they? How do we know they are going to be using these plus a hard drive? Microsoft has to keep the hard drive, Sony is releasing Final Fantasy XI with a hard drive for the PS2. They see how it is beneficial and will probably include one in the PS3.

Crazy Joe
03-04-2004, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by WynnFire
Are you sure we can trust them? Microsoft hasn't said anything about the hard drive to the public yet, have they? How do we know they are going to be using these plus a hard drive? Microsoft has to keep the hard drive, Sony is releasing Final Fantasy XI with a hard drive for the PS2. They see how it is beneficial and will probably include one in the PS3.

BUT if the system came with internal flash memory equal or greater to the amount a hard drive would offer, will it make a difference? MS might be taking this alternative route to combat piracy, not just to cut costs..

lotec16
03-04-2004, 06:04 PM
If sony has one, xbox 2 will. If sony doesn't xbox 2 won't. Thats what I think.

Yankeez
03-04-2004, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by DZNUTZ
b.s. agreed :)

BinaryXtreme
03-04-2004, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Yankeez-XBA
agreed :)

Second that!

No Fear 23
03-04-2004, 06:37 PM
well, who knows

im sure ms is prolly coming up with a better solution than using the hardrive. they are basically trying to update the technology or maybe trying to fool sony.

as of now, wait and see. I'll be going to a console that has the best specs. if ps3 has better specs than xbox, then i will get the ps3. this was the reason i bought an xbox :confused:

Caesar SYN
03-04-2004, 06:54 PM
BS and old news... they ahve been on the Flash Memory band wagon for a while...

Hero
03-04-2004, 07:14 PM
if there is no harddrive im sure these flash memory things will be around the size of at least two gigs each. considering how the ipod has such huge memory im sure the xbox can do the same. so we will stilll have all the functionality of the harddrive and they will be able to better combat piracy

LiquidX
03-04-2004, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Hero
if there is no harddrive im sure these flash memory things will be around the size of at least two gigs each. considering how the ipod has such huge memory im sure the xbox can do the same. so we will stilll have all the functionality of the harddrive and they will be able to better combat piracy

The iPod IS a hard drive if im not mistaken... But I really could care less what they use for storage as long as I dont need to buy 50 damn memory cards. Hard drive, flash memory, anything but a damn memory card.

Yankeez
03-04-2004, 07:24 PM
until there is at least 2 sources i wont believe :)

Hero
03-04-2004, 07:33 PM
from the source
Their Fast Flash Disks, with capacities ranging from 16 MB to 47 GB, are an advanced solid-state disk designed for military and aerospace infrastructure applications.

i could see why bill gates would want that in his xbox..

Slowride
03-04-2004, 08:10 PM
If the flash memory is sold seperately and PS3 has a hard drive i'll probably get a PS3. I have no loyalty to microsoft. They just had the far superior product this time around. Next time around i'm not so sure.....

Trento52
03-04-2004, 08:20 PM
i want to know more aboiut this flash memory but can it hold music because that would be great. If it doesn't microsoft loves teh shaft for they will shaft teh fans with this big mistake unless it works out fine.

Hero
03-04-2004, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Trento52
i want to know more aboiut this flash memory but can it hold music because that would be great. If it doesn't microsoft loves teh shaft for they will shaft teh fans with this big mistake unless it works out fine.

i think it will.. microsoft has brought so much to the gaming world already..im guess the xbox2 will come with at least one flash drive ..and sell the other seperatly.. my guess it that buying a xbox2 and maybe one or two flash drives on the side will still be cheaper than the ps3.

Slacker
03-04-2004, 11:23 PM
I will wait and see what it is and how it works , in the history of video games companies have made Huge mistakes and gambled on the wrong technology , so we won't know until it comes out ,

colosso
03-05-2004, 12:00 AM
can somebody give a explanation of how a memory flash works ? because some people are saying that flash memorys are like some portable hard drive and even better,do you guys know the difference ?

dances with broom sticks
03-05-2004, 02:15 AM
Did anyone else have one of those mega memory cards for the PSone? It plugged into the back port of the sony and was the size of 60 memory cards? It was called Virtual memory cards or something.... This adds nothing to the conversation, I just thought I would add that.

I love threads like these. I just imagine how funny it will be to go back and read them over. Everyone talking like they know whats going on.. I remember a the threads like this before the xbox came out, good times good times

Angell
03-05-2004, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by dances with broom sticks

I love threads like these. I just imagine how funny it will be to go back and read them over. Everyone talking like they know whats going on.. I remember a the threads like this before the xbox came out, good times good times

totally agree. I'm not going to trust anything until I see it coming from Microsoft.... Just like I don't trust anything Halo 2 unless it comes from the mouth of Bungie. Even then Microsoft can change their minds on a dime, one day it could be flash and the next day floppy drives (jk). Straight diggies...;)

:edit: cool stuff 600 posts :D

Cryogenic Pyro
03-05-2004, 07:44 AM
There's nothing wrong with having flash memory instead of a harddrive. The only time we'll have problems is if they decide not to make a sort of flash harddrive equivilent and have to buy memory cards. If that ever happens, which it will not, the Xbox 2 will die.

Chaotic
03-05-2004, 08:20 AM
Guys lets not get all worried here. It's going to be very similar to having a hard drive, we just won't have the hard drive. The flash stick that will be made for the xbox will be awesome and large capacity. I wouldn't worry that much, flash memory is a great solution and is used in many hi-tech sectors with great speed and reliability.

Highlite23
03-05-2004, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by ChaoticMage-XBA
Guys lets not get all worried here. It's going to be very similar to having a hard drive, we just won't have the hard drive. The flash stick that will be made for the xbox will be awesome and large capacity. I wouldn't worry that much, flash memory is a great solution and is used in many hi-tech sectors with great speed and reliability.

Thank you!!

No Hard Drive doesn't exactly meen it's a bad thing depending on how they configure this set-up.

Remeber, MS wanted smaller lighter, etc...Flash memory takes care of both.

Mitchell
03-05-2004, 12:51 PM
That is the biggest load of garbage ive heard since that fake PS3 photo.

CrazyCougar
03-05-2004, 01:05 PM
Well MS has issued a rebuttal on this guy's comments saying it is a false claim. Personally I think its just because they arent ready to announce specifics on the Xbox 2. But they are outright denying the fact that Xbox 2 will NOT have a hard drive.

It'll probably be E3 before they actually give any detail themselves.

ScorpionX
03-05-2004, 03:07 PM
Update from Gamespot:

When contacted by GameSpot, Xbox group product manager David Hufford said Moran was "talking way over his head." He continued, "Mr. Moran is aimlessly speculating, and we never comment on speculation. We've made no such announcements about future Xbox products and services. And we don't intend to for quite a while. Until we do, we suggest people take guesswork for what it is."
However, if Moran's statements are true, the Xbox Next will likely not be backwards compatible, since it would be almost impossible for it to emulate how some games dump data onto the Xbox's hard drive.

How has it been confirmed???? :huh:

Angell
03-05-2004, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by ChaoticMage-XBA

I'm not to worried.... after all, lets remember... This is Microsoft, MICROSOFT.... they know a few things about computers and what goes in them... and I'm sure that if MS chooses flash drive or a hard drive it will be great either way...