PDA

View Full Version : GTA's Impact.

Max33
03-06-2004, 12:47 PM
GTA's changed the face of gaming.I was asking around about Mafia(weather it was a worthy investment) and realized most of the responses held it up to the GTA measuring stick.Which isnt nesacairlly a bad thing, high standards are a good after all.I remember pleying Wreckless and thinking " Man the graphics are great.The citys increadibly designed,why the limited game play?"In fact I commented to my friends that it did'nt make any sense for developers to do less when RockStar had done so much more.But are we being unfair to any game with the inclusion of driving?Just clamoring for more GTA like a bunch of dope feinds?Anyway what do you think GTA's impact has been on the industry?The way we look at games?Are we being fair to developers(and ourselves) who try to give us their own original games?

Variation-XBA
03-06-2004, 01:26 PM
Driver 2 was the first to have the free roaming and such, not gta :P

Max33
03-06-2004, 01:54 PM
Yeah I know that,in fact I've allways said that GTA 3 eveolved more from Driver than its own previous incarnations,but whats that got to do with the topic?

Crazy Joe
03-06-2004, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Variation
Driver 2 was the first to have the free roaming and such, not gta :P

driver 2 you *could* get out of the car, but it was hardly free roaming considering you couldn't have weapons or do anything while you were out of the car and it was only useful to get out of the car at certain times. I wouldn't call it free roaming.

The thing about GTA is that the premise is original and groundbreaking, but other aspects of the game are lacking HARD, the targeting is soo bad if there is more than one enemy around you.

Max33
03-06-2004, 02:03 PM
But do you think that other games are are unfairy compared to or expected to be GTA insteaid of being appreatied for a wholly unique gaming experience.

Crazy Joe
03-06-2004, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Max33
But do you think that other games are are unfairy compared to or expected to be GTA insteaid of being appreatied for a wholly unique gaming experience.

i think that's only the case if the game is blatently trying to do the same things, like True Crime:Streets of LA did, and Driv3r is going to.

Yeah I know that,in fact I've allways said that GTA 3 eveolved more from Driver than its own previous incarnations,but whats that got to do with the topic?

i would disagree, GTA3 has the same gameplay ideas as GTA2, just in 3D, that's really the only thing GTA took from Driver, is the 3D aspect.

Max33
03-06-2004, 03:37 PM
Alright..how do you know what Driver is gonna try to do?And whats that got to do with GTA? Kinda the point of the whole thread.has this aspect of action/driving gaming been overly defined, and to expand the question havent most game types been overly defined (to meet our expectations)to the point where we end up getting game that just emulate one another thus limiting the number of original and innovative games? Just an idea.
As to the Driver/Gta comparison, in my opinion a games identity is most defined by its gameplay mechanics than its ,although its very importaint, theme.(I feel MK Deadly Alliance wasnt mortal kombat at all)

George89
03-06-2004, 05:01 PM
Personally, I think that the GTA seris is good, but is a little over rated. The game is fun, but after a little while, the missions get boring since they all just have you killing someone or collecting something.

Koopa
03-06-2004, 07:04 PM
overrated.

sure, it was one of the pioneers of the whole free-roaming thing, and i can see its influence on manny other games...for example, crimson skies..but this whole idea could also be seen in earlier games, such as driver and to some extent Zelda, mario64, banjokazooie, etc, which had huge maps where you roam around doing stuff freely with side quests and main quests and whatnot..

othr than the whole idea of free-roaming, which i'll give GTA3 the benefit of the doubt for, what does it have? its violent...great...anyone can make a game about shooting cops and ****ing hoes. i don't care how "controversial" it is, the fact remains that after you get over shooting cops and jacking the same cars, and running into the same glitches, coping with fog and popup so thick, you don't see the building till you run into it, and staring at ugly-ass graphics...theres not much left.

i bought GTA:VC on my computer, got fed up with it, and traded it in awhile back to help pay for KOTOR or something.

Crazy Joe
03-06-2004, 08:43 PM
Alright..how do you know what Driver is gonna try to do?

well, pretty much every preview and all info points to driv3r being in the same vein as GTA and True Crime, and would you expect anything else??

JuniorBrady
03-23-2004, 01:42 PM
I really liked all the GTA games, but I really am looking forward to DRIV3R which I'm hoping will be different than the GTA series. I'd like something new, not the same old same old.

l Maximus l
03-23-2004, 02:36 PM
The game is groundbreaking because it has become the most controversial game of all time.

This is a good thing, by the way :D

I also agree that GTA3 is quite lackluster with today's standards, but, hopefully future installments will be much better.

Hard Boiled Cop
03-23-2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by JuniorBrady
I really liked all the GTA games, but I really am looking forward to DRIV3R which I'm hoping will be different than the GTA series. I'd like something new, not the same old same old.

Agreed. 70% of the game is made out of driving and 30% is just walking around shooting stuff. They should still keep intact the true essence of the Driver series. It must be alot like it's predecessor but with a more variation in missions. Meaning you choose how to get to point A to point B.
When you play a game thats just like GTA, the whole free roaming and such, they call it a GTA rip off. I don't think it is. Sure they using the same methods as shown in the GTA series but it doesn't necessarily mean its a copy of GTA.

JuniorBrady
03-24-2004, 07:51 AM
I don't think anyone is ripping off GTA, I just think they are trying to use a formula that has made one series so successful. I am just looking for something that will be a little different. That's why I'm looking forward to DRIV3R. Something a little knew oughtta be nice.