PDA

View Full Version : Anyone hooked up their xbox to a laptop?

wweomaniac
03-06-2004, 04:44 PM
I'm going to be buying a laptop soon because I know a guy who can get me a wicked deal on almost any laptop and I'm going to need one soon anyways since I'm going to university next fall.

So when I'm in university living in residence, I still want to play XBox, but I really have no need for a TV because I don't watch TV too often. So I'm wondering if I can save the big bucks and hook up my XBox to my laptop?

Has anyone tried this?

Hero
03-06-2004, 04:55 PM
hmm..ive done this once..but it was a couple of years ago and i cant exactly remember how i did it.. ill have to ask my former roommate if he remembers and ill pm you if i get it later than sooner.

it basically consist of getting the video input into the right hole aswell as sound into its appropriate hole. but of course you probably knew that .. yes ill get back to you unless someone answers your question first.

l Maximus l
03-06-2004, 04:58 PM
Would a VGA adapter work for a Laptop?

I don't own a laptop so I have no idea...but, one would think it would work without a problem.

wweomaniac
03-06-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Hero
hmm..ive done this once..but it was a couple of years ago and i cant exactly remember how i did it.. ill have to ask my former roommate if he remembers and ill pm you if i get it later than sooner.

it basically consist of getting the video input into the right hole aswell as sound into its appropriate hole. but of course you probably knew that .. yes ill get back to you unless someone answers your question first. beautiful. thx!

I don't think VGA helps with respect to a laptop. I thought that the VGA adapter was to connect your xbox directly to your monitor. I could be wrong, and feel free to correct me if I am.

Hero
03-06-2004, 05:03 PM
okay..i double checked and there is no way to connect your xbox to your laptop .. maybe its possible with the vga adapter i dont know.. but hwat i was thinking about wasnt xbox to laptop i had done laptop to TV. the laptop doesnt have an input to the monitor.. the yellow hole in the back is for the output from the monitor..

sorry to get your hopes up if you read this before i edited..

wweomaniac
03-06-2004, 06:38 PM
well you don't think that some laptops have video inputs for video editting?

Hero
03-06-2004, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by wweomaniac
well you don't think that some laptops have video inputs for video editting?

video editting is usually done through usb 2.0 or firewire.. but it doesnt directly take over the screen on your monitor.... im not sure if newer laptops have video inputs going to the monitor, but i can say for sure my pentium 3 laptop doesnt..

look for the yellow hole on your laptop and check to see if the arrow is pointing into the monitor icon or out of the monitor ( input to or output from respectively). if its input then plug the male yellow connector from the xbox to the female yellow connection on your laptop.. mess around with the display settings and you should see the option to enable xbox input to your laptop. this is without sound of course.

inorder to get sound theres two ways that i know of.. for sound directly coming out of your laptop..you will need a guitar adapter. it a red and white male connection on one end that you can tape to the two male connections from the xbox. the other end has a small black male connection that will connect to the sound part of your laptop.

the more simple way is to just connect the white and red male connections to a stereo system.

wweomaniac
03-06-2004, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Hero
the more simple way is to just connect the white and red male connections to a stereo system. Yeah I was thinking that too :)

I also think you're right that theres no way of getting the xbox onto the laptop screen. I read that I'd need to buy a external TV tuner unit which would cost minimum $100 USD.

Don't know if it's worth it. THanks Hero for the help. Unless someone knows of another way to play xbox on a laptop, I suppose my problem is somewhat solved.

AloneInTheDark
03-06-2004, 10:27 PM
who..maniac...what happened to you. Damn, you were an awesome member, I remember your sigs...cool sigs. :cheers:

wweomaniac
03-06-2004, 11:19 PM
yeah I use to love this place but I'm barely ever online anymore. Don't really use my computer anymore. I sort of went through this transition where I started to hate computers. Long story. I'd tell it but I'm sure no one's really interested in it.

spend my time instead just chillin.

CarGuy
03-07-2004, 06:18 PM
You can man. Just make sure the laptop is capable. My friend has one with an SVideo input. It just depends on the computer.

Suicidemouse
03-08-2004, 10:02 AM
im not sure if you can for a lap top
but my xbox is hooked up 2 my comp right now
useing a hauppauge winTV card.
you might be able to.

wweomaniac
03-08-2004, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Suicidemouse
im not sure if you can for a lap top
but my xbox is hooked up 2 my comp right now
useing a hauppauge winTV card.
you might be able to. i was considering buying an exactly the same tv tuner for mine. I was looking at the Hauppagge WinTV 602 external USB.

I'm going to check into what carGuy said. i heard that most (if not all) s-video ports on laptops were out (strangely enough). CarGuy you sure that your buddy has his xbox hooked up to his laptop with svideo?

revernd
03-09-2004, 06:25 PM
those svideo ports are all out.. i dont believe there is a vid card out there right now for mobiles that will do svideo in, will need an addon card. i currently have the xbox going through my desktop with an ati all in wonder 9800 pro 128mb, runs beautiful...