PDA

View Full Version : Doom 3 co-op! new info from Vicarious Visions

Crazy Joe
03-08-2004, 11:35 AM
Our biggest addition for the Xbox is the ability to play the single player game with a friend in co-op mode. We’re also modifying and balancing combat and demon behaviours to present challenging, but not frustrating encounters while still maintaining the action, intensity and terror of Doom 3. There’s a ton of work going into the balance and pacing of the game as well as the control mechanisms -– the player needs to feel connected with the game and a part of the environment in order to suspend their disbelief and really draw them into the atmosphere and terror of the game. We also draw players in with true Dolby 5.1 surround sound support -– there’s nothing scarier than hearing a Demon sneaking up from behind you.

source: GamePro
http://www.gamepro.com/microsoft/xbox/games/features/34068.shtml

Uchiha Sasuke
03-08-2004, 11:44 AM
Ok now that is really sweet. Now my anticipation just went up a notch.

thrAsher
03-08-2004, 11:47 AM
You know, I couldn't have cared less about this game until I read 'Masters of Doom' recently. I never cared much for Doom or any of the Quake games. They were fun for brief moments, but w/o any real, engaging story, I found them lackluster. Half-life killed those games, IMO. It had it all for an FPS.

But this iteration of the Doom series is looking better and better, and w/ my newfound appreciation for Carmack's work, I'm honestly psyched that we'll be seeing this on the Xbox. And w/ co-op, I'm almost a tiny bit giddy.

Hard Boiled Cop
03-08-2004, 12:47 PM
OK! Now this is what I'm talking about. They are now doing what Halo did, the use of co op mode. Its definitely split screen yes? I mean Rainbow six 3 was co op but no split screen, it was only system Link.

Crazy Joe
03-08-2004, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Hard Boiled Cop
OK! Now this is what I'm talking about. They are now doing what Halo did, the use of co op mode. Its definitely split screen yes? I mean Rainbow six 3 was co op but no split screen, it was only system Link.

it doesn't say, but i would assume split screen like Halo..

GokuX
03-08-2004, 01:14 PM
Co-op play, how can you go wrong? I can deal with some slowdown if it means a bud and I can blast through stuff together which is IMO a lot more fun than playing alone.

LynxFX
03-08-2004, 01:47 PM
Well hopefully they mean that you can play co-op on Live. If so then I may need to rethink my decision to only get it on the PC. Of course it is coming bundled with the new Nvidia cards. Bahh, decisions decisions.

:D

Stagliano
03-08-2004, 03:57 PM
I'm hoping the co-op is offline (although it would be good to have it online too). I don't think online play can ever compare to playing games with actual real life friends in the same room as you.

SnoochyBoochy
03-08-2004, 04:28 PM
i wonder what doom 3's online play is going to be like...

BlindSniper
03-08-2004, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by thrAsher-XBA
You know, I couldn't have cared less about this game until I read 'Masters of Doom' recently. I never cared much for Doom or any of the Quake games. They were fun for brief moments, but w/o any real, engaging story, I found them lackluster. Half-life killed those games, IMO. It had it all for an FPS.

But this iteration of the Doom series is looking better and better, and w/ my newfound appreciation for Carmack's work, I'm honestly psyched that we'll be seeing this on the Xbox. And w/ co-op, I'm almost a tiny bit giddy.

amen to that, similar to how I felt.........wasn't too sure about doom 3, never liked the previous but now I'm rethinking.....I just hope its as good as I'm seeing it. The hype may hurt the game.....

Kortiz
03-09-2004, 04:14 PM
Doom 3 Co-op will be on the xbox....however...NOT ON PC!!!!

I don't really know if this is good or bad...I mean...I feel for pc fans on this one....either way I can dig it as I already own a XBOX WHA WHA!!!!

http://www.gamepro.com/microsoft/xbox/games/features/34068.shtml

l Maximus l
03-09-2004, 04:18 PM
Honestly...we'll see how this works...It's nice to have the option, however, RTCW was a huge disappointment with the Co-op...

But, then again, RTCW sucks ass anyway...

Crazy Joe
03-09-2004, 04:36 PM
http://www.xboxaddict.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53123

it's even still on the front page dude....

Kortiz
03-09-2004, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Crazy Joe
http://www.xboxaddict.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53123

it's even still on the front page dude....

OMG I SO SOWWY!

I never look at the front page...sorry.

Stagliano
03-09-2004, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Maximus SYN
RTCW was a huge disappointment with the Co-op...

But, then again, RTCW sucks ass anyway...
I really like Return to Castle Wolfenstein, both in single and co-op modes. Just goes to show what I know, doesn't it?

yall
03-09-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by LynxFX-XBA
Well hopefully they mean that you can play co-op on Live. If so then I may need to rethink my decision to only get it on the PC. Of course it is coming bundled with the new Nvidia cards. Bahh, decisions decisions.

:D

Half-Life 2, Far Cry, and Soldner should make the decision easier.

The second any of those games are released, I will need a good DX9 card for sure!:D

Cryogenic Pyro
03-09-2004, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by yall

Half-Life 2, Far Cry, and Soldner should make the decision easier.

The second any of those games are released, I will need a good DX9 card for sure!:D
And who says the new NVidia cards won't be good? There's always a second time for everything.

I am in no way an NVidia fanboy, in fact, I like ATI much better, but it's the truth. There is no way to judge until there are some benchmarks.

skorp
03-09-2004, 06:53 PM
CO-OP!!!! thats an additional point for fun factor!..

Can't wait to play this game with my gf... hehee it will be like watching a scary movie together.... Only we are "both" playing as the main actors... Awesome!

:cheers:

Stagliano
03-09-2004, 07:15 PM
It's great when your other half is a bit of a nerd too, isn't it? I don't know how other gaming obsessives can have a happy relationship with someone who isn't at least a little bit nerdy too.

skorp
03-09-2004, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Stagliano
It's great when your other half is a bit of a nerd too, isn't it? I don't know how other gaming obsessives can have a happy relationship with someone who isn't at least a little bit nerdy too.

:cheers:

l Maximus l
03-10-2004, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by Stagliano

I really like Return to Castle Wolfenstein, both in single and co-op modes. Just goes to show what I know, doesn't it?

Seriously, that's cool and all, but, did you notice the frame-rate of RTCW while in Co-op mode? It's a joke...and nothing worth enjoying. RTCW is so subpar to Halo that it's not even funny.

I just hope DOOM 3 won't be similar....Bungie got it right, and I hope the dudes making DOOM 3 pay attention to those details.

If they do, DOOM 3 will be unbelievably sweet...but, right now, I'm cautious. I'll definately rent DOOM 3 before buying it. I learned from RTCW... Seriously, I think RTCW is one of the worst games I have ever owned...that and Bloodwake. :o