PDA

View Full Version : Tenchu VS ninja gaiden......2 VERY DIFFERENT GAMES

BlindSniper
03-10-2004, 05:04 PM
Well I recently got both of these titles. I love both of them but each does have pros and cons.Wait, does ninja gaiden really have cons? Anyways, here are my thoughts:
Ninja gaiden literally is, 100 % action. Its an action adventure gamers dream game! It is often not even really a button smasher too, you have to carefully execute combos, to kill guys cheaply, kill guys fast, or just pull off a crazy move leaving your jaw drop. There is no puzzle where you have to run around alot and find items.....well there is but not without fights, and by fights I mean fighting many guys at a time, eays and difficult to beat Ninja Gaiden caught my eye on this unique way of playing. Kind of like, doing it the hard way, is often the easiest way. This may sound weird but, to get new weapons you often must go through a bunch of guys first who you wouldnt have to fight to beat the chapter. But, you do fight them so as you can get this weapon behind them. This weapon can end up saving your ass in the easiest way! Very cool feature I thought.....the bosses are amazing in this game but the one thing I found in this game that could be improved is........the style of fighting. I love playing stealth, DO NOT GET ME WRONG, I love playing action games and this is a pure slash em up game. But it would be cool if you could use ranged weapons to stealthily kill a guy without him knowing. Leaving a friend of his speachless, you could then bust in there and kill him, the rambo way (but with ninja gear) it would be really cool to have this, but it's still really cool the way it is. GREAT GAME.

Now my thoughts about Tenchu...
Tenchu is 90 % stealth. WHAAAAT? Tenchu and Ninja Gaiden ARE two different games? Yes, so they do not need to be compared to eachother. Tenchu is made on stealth, you are a ninja again, but not as cooly dressed as Ryu.....You have the gear to be a stealth assasin, shurikens, grappling hook, etc.... You use the grappling hook to reach buildings, and you use a stealth meter, so that when enemies aren't looking you can sneak up on them and perform a one hit stealth kill. It is very cool. BUT! The one major problem with this game is the head to head fighting. Every boss you fight you must fight using blocking, grabbing and combo techniques. It doesn't run very smooth at all, it is quite hard to fight like this...as you could have 1 health the entire previous level and use stealth moves but still get up to the boss. Then it is extremely hard not to get hit, as the camera angles in head to head fighting are pretty well.....bad and although the graphics in Tenchu are not as good as Ninja Gaiden, they still are pretty impressive. Ninja Gaiden has awsome sound, the beginning waterfall sounds great. Tenchu's sound is well....weak. You won't be impressed by it and surround sound is nothing! This may be one of those games you like to play while blaring your favorite tunes.

Well, those are my thoughts. Ninja Gaiden is based on action, Tenchu is based on stealth. Both games can be very frustrating and hard at first. But once you get the hang of it these two different games will have you addicted and kicking ass in no time. Well overall, the best game (of coarse) is ninja gaiden. But don't hesitate to pick up Tenchu.....

So what do you guys think? Anyone picked up both yet?

Wolfgame
03-10-2004, 05:52 PM
Cheers, I've been hoeping someone would come and make a thread like this, Just to show that really the only similiarties bewtween NG and Tenchu are they are both Ninjas, I order my from ebgames.com, but I chose slow shipping, so I'll probably get my tenchu some time next week, any ways thanks for the impressions.

Trento52
03-10-2004, 06:01 PM
i know i tried demos of both and the cut scenes in tenchu still weren'tas good as ninja gaidens gamplay. Plus the sound was really bad. I know they both are fun in there own ways but splinter cell is a stealth game and it had or has some beautiful graphics and amazing sound why doesn't tenchu? I like games for gameplay but i want to be impressed in all departmetns and get my moneys worth for an excellent game if i pay full price.

themoosearmy
03-10-2004, 07:24 PM
The tenchu demo was wa very impressive, but I a a big action fan as opposed to stealth. The constant fighting in NG pumps me up! But I think i still might pick up tenchu cause it still is a really great (very different game), almost the opposite of Ninja Gaiden.

BlindSniper
03-10-2004, 07:32 PM
yeah, one thing though these games do have the same which really ticks me off is lack of save points :) Tenchu, you only save after beating levels, not during them. I just spent an hour on a level!!! haha dying at the boss WILL make you throw the controller at something. I advise you don't but this game does take skill! (Tenchu)
Ninja Gaiden also has little savepoints......I still get along on them but sometimes it can be frustrating.

Jamo
03-10-2004, 07:51 PM
The real shocker is why they put thesse 2 on teh same demo in the first place? Kinda one sided don't you think once you play tehm both. Don't get me wrong I like Tenchu but Ninja Gaiden is far more superior.

DemonLoki
03-10-2004, 09:47 PM
Ninja Gaiden all the way. I love it.

Tenchu, I played the demo and never want to play it again, I think the action was slow, shallow, and unresponsive. It wasn't nearly as pretty to look at either. I haven't played the retail version, but its not for me anyway.

On a scale of 1-10
NinjaGaiden=10
tenchu=2
:argue1:

l Maximus l
03-11-2004, 02:13 AM
Honestly, if I wanted to go back to the PS1 days, I'd pick up Tenchu. The PS1 offers, in every category that Tenchu provides, several games compriable.

Did I mention that I can't stand Tenchu?

I'd even hesitate to use the actual game disc for a beer coaster. In one word, Tenchu is "cheesy".

Hero
03-11-2004, 03:40 AM
i dont know much about either game but it looks to me like tenchu has ninja gaiden beat on the xbox live part. with the co op and death match.

Xbox Live and Multiplayer Action - The Xbox Live mode allows for two-player co-op missions through six levels, as well as online voice chat functionality. The multiplayer action offers six levels and two modes of play - co-operative team oriented missions and Hunter-Hunted death matches.

Max33
03-11-2004, 12:37 PM
Phillosophicly Tenchu has a better premise doncha think?Im in no way sugesting on is beter than the other(I've only played the demos)but I'm a Splinter Cell fan.Arnt Ninjas supposed to be sneaky?Maybe some day UBI Soft will give us a Ninja-tastic game that incorparates both stealth & action.

thrAsher
03-11-2004, 01:53 PM
I hear that, Max33. Since when has a ninja ever taken on an tank? I mean, really? While Gaiden might be flashy, beautiful, action-packed, and all that, it's not what I consider a 'true' ninja game.

Tenchu is truly a ninja game. And playing the new rendition, Return to Darkness, I was immediately taken back to the PS1 days when I'd spend hours perfecting my skills so I could whip through a level utterly undetected. It's so much like the first one, and has kept all the elements that made that game, IMO, one of the best console games ever, that I'm glad I picked it up instead of Gaiden (which will undoubtedly make it into my collection soon).

Sure, the graphics are sub-standard for a next-gen game, but the gameplay is pretty sweet. I do have some issues, like the camera angles when up against a wall, or I've noticed that when you try to drag off a corpse that's on an incline, the engine doesn't seem to know what to do. There are some weaknesses to the game, but all in all it's a very good port. I'm loving Tenchu, and while it's no Gaiden, it IS a truly fun, truly addictive game that keeps close to the ethic of the silent assassin. And it feels more realistic to me in the sense that while you may be one sneaky badass, you can't just walk up to a guard and hack him to pieces. You have to remain in the shadows, striking unbeknownst to your foe. And if you do get into a skirmish, it often pays off to make a quick escape and wait for another opportunity to off your enemy.

I'll choose stealth over action almost any day of the week...but that's just me.

marmalito
03-11-2004, 02:56 PM
this is a little off-topic, but have you read vorpal foetus' review of ninja gaiden on this site?? he gave it 3.5 overall out of 5... what a goof, he completely misses the subtlety of the game.. complaining about enemies respawning too often, the high difficulty, and the controls... the greatest appeal of this game to me is learning to perfect my techniques against different enemies. it really makes you think in order to figure out their weaknesses, and the save points are perfectly placed for the pace of the game, like an old style nes game.

an example of the game's strategic depth, the ninjas that keep kicking his ass were the hardest enemies for me to beat also, until i figured out their weakness (roll away from explosions, and counterattack while blocking), now they're the easiest enemies. they never even touch me anymore. this game is deep, it requires constant skill improvement to get the most out of it. it's a shame he's bringing the review score down because of his superficial experience with it.

BlindSniper
03-11-2004, 04:21 PM
I see what you all are saying. Personally, if there was a blend of tenchu and ninja gaiden. It would be amazing, What I would like to see, is doing the first bit of a level stealthy, picking off as many guys as you wish without being noticed. Or vice versa, go on a rambo mission and take out the guys fast and easy. Maybe their are strengthgs and weaknesses for each technique. That in my mind would be awsome. As it lets the gamer choose how to beat the level in which there is more than one way to go. Maybe you wanna just skip everybody, by sneaking on a roof. That would be cool but cheap. If there was a disadvantage of being stealth it'd have to be something like you dont get to pick up an item that can help you alot, but in the mean time it might not be worth it going for the item becuase on the way you got your tail kicked by a bunch of guys and lost alot of health.....so if there was a game like that noone could complain. Except the baostards that don't like ninja gaiden or tenchu. Well, let's hope something cool comes out like this but in the mean time, ima sit down and shutup :)

Trento52
03-11-2004, 04:56 PM
yeah in the star phenix or the newspaper it gave ninja gaiden 3.5 out of 5 and yet pitfall hairy got 4.5 out of 5. Those guys are really dumb.

Madhattr
03-11-2004, 06:44 PM
I have no real desire to play Tenchu but I bought NG because I knew how amazing it would be. There might be no real stealth to NG but it has a gorgous fighting style that puts every other game I have played to shame. I practice combos and try to line guys up to make my attacks as deadly as possible like a work of art almost.
NG is harder then your average game which is good because it keeps the weak gamers away and gives us true gamers something that is ours.
Stealth games aren't my thing, I don't have the patience to do them.

DemonLoki
03-11-2004, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Max33
Phillosophicly Tenchu has a better premise doncha think?Im in no way sugesting on is beter than the other(I've only played the demos)but I'm a Splinter Cell fan.Arnt Ninjas supposed to be sneaky?Maybe some day UBI Soft will give us a Ninja-tastic game that incorparates both stealth & action.

I think kickin ass is a ninjas primary role. Sure you CAN kill people by being sneaky, but I think its a whole lot funner running off a wall and slicing heads off with a hundred pound meat cleaver.

l Maximus l
03-12-2004, 01:14 AM
Honestly, dudes...how many stealthy games can we have in one year? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Splinter Cell and Rainbow Six and all, but, Ninja Gaiden is exactly what the doctor ordered...and action packed, challenging ninja game with amazing gameplay, awesome frame-rate, and gorgeous graphics...also, the story is phenominal...and this comes from a dude that doesn't pay too much to stories....it's engrossing.

Tenchu, on the other hand, is truly a heap of crap. The game is completely cheesy...

You call Tenchu stealth? Sure, it has stealth elements to it, but, the enemies in the game don't seem like anything to fear. Atleast in Splinter Cell or Rainbow Six, the opposition atleast seemed to be a threat... By contrast, the enemies in Tenchu are cheesy as hell...

thrAsher
03-12-2004, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Maximus SYN
Honestly, dudes...how many stealthy games can we have in one year?

How about FPS's? I mean, the genre has been done to death and I'm bored w/ them. They at one point pushed the industry to new highs, but now they just clog the shelves w/ no real innovations having been made in the genre for a looong time.

Tenchu, on the other hand, is truly a heap of crap. The game is completely cheesy...

You call Tenchu stealth? Sure, it has stealth elements to it, but, the enemies in the game don't seem like anything to fear. Atleast in Splinter Cell or Rainbow Six, the opposition atleast seemed to be a threat... By contrast, the enemies in Tenchu are cheesy as hell...
Max, have you even played the new version? Really? I hope you're not going the route of some of these kids who bash a game w/o even playing it for five seconds. It does both yourself and the game a grave injustice. The enemies in Tenchu do start out a bit on the easy side, but the volume gets pumped up around the third level, w/ all kinds of interesting AI techniques. And as far as stealth, it IS a stealth game. You get rewarded for stealth kills as well as going undetected throughout a level. And when the crap hits the fan, you will find that while you may be one badass ninja, you can (and will) get your ass handed to you on many an occassion.

So, that said, Tenchu may not be the technical/gaming marvel all you guys say Gaiden is, but it IS a solid, intriguing, addictive game that makes a nice addition to the series. No reason to bash it, especially if you haven't played a lick of it. And to compare them is silly, outside of preference of genre, because they ARE two completely different games.

BlindSniper
03-12-2004, 01:16 PM
Thank you Thrasher, thats what I was trying to get at, two different games. People keep comparing the two! Honestly, can you think of a third person game better than ninja gaiden? Nnoinja gaiden does kick serious ass, it is an amazing game, I dont think anywhere here is bashing it. I know Tenchu isnt better than it, but tenchu is not a peice of crap! Your saying any game not as good as ninja gaiden is a peice of crap, but that is your opinion. I agree, having ninja gaiden is awsome and is probably one of the better games out there, butthe others arent Tenchu truly isn't "a peice of crap" Its great but ninja is better! I'd just like to see ninja with a stealth side to it on 1 or 2 levels.... and playing demos IMO don't give people a chance. This thread wasn't made to compare the titles even though I did put the VS in the title.......it was made to see how people thought...having 2 different types of action. As far as 3rd person stealth games go.....I can really only think of slinter cell..

l Maximus l
03-12-2004, 01:35 PM
Alright, dudes...I played more than "5 seconds" of Tenchu...my opinion of Tenchu is only based on the demo. Of course I found the demo to suck ass, but, one would think that the developers would have included a mission on the demo that would intrigue people to actually buy the game. I played through the entire demo and waited for it to get better...it just never did. It only maintained it's cheesiness.

As for the FPS genre, I find that people that get bored with them are those who are avid PC gamers. The mouse and keyboard seem to make every FPS game's gameplay the exact same...same crap, different smell. But, with a game controller, FPSs are much more challenging and actually demonstrate the unique gameplay that each individual FPS game presents. In other words, FPSs become they're own game on a console. Atleast, from my experience, this is what I have noticed.

George89
03-12-2004, 09:06 PM
Well I've seen more gameplay footage and screen shots, and I do have to say, the game looks better than the demo.

DemonLoki
03-13-2004, 02:58 AM
I agree with the post by Maximus SYN. The tenchu demo is what Iv'e based my opinion on, and boy did I hate the crap out of it.

Tenchu and Ninja Gaiden are very different, but a valid comparison is that Ninja Gaided kicks ass and I can't stant Tenchus gameplay style. Maybe Tenchu isn't a horrible game, but I didnt have any fun with it, zero.

Ninja Gaiden, however, has changed what Iv'e thought of action games. How many other games have you played for dozens of hours to overcome challenges that aren't impossible, but requires near perfection on your part to win? I can't think of a game as hard as this with fairness. Sure there have been games hard to beat, but mostly because of an uneven balance between you and your insane opponent who can defy the laws that frustrate the crap out of you.

For me Ninja Gaiden (although somewhat different) is in every comparable sense supremely better than Tenchu.

thrAsher
03-15-2004, 10:01 PM
Right on, Max. I was hoping you weren't making a blind judgment of the game. I guess I can see why you hated the game, but having not played the demo, all I know of Tenchu is what I've played of the final release.

And while it's not the most beautiful game on the Xbox, any fan of the Tenchu series would be hard pressed to pass this one up. It is a fantastic addition to the series, and being a bit of an Xbox fanboy (did I just say that out loud?), I'm happy to see the title come to us Addicts w/ enough polish and extras to make any die-hard PS2 junkie wet his tightie whities....

Now, I just need to beat the dang thing before Pandora Tomorrow drops, or it could be a while before I get back to it. :(

Satch
03-16-2004, 08:52 PM
OK I'm finally going to say something that needs to be said... YES, you all are right, the new Tenchu SUCKS compared to Ninja Gaiden. OMG I hated when I played the Tenchu demo, but! ... Don't forget how good Tenchu USED to be. I STILL love the first Tenchu for PS1 and it's still in my collection of awesome games. To tell you the truth, they totally RUINED the new Tenchu. It seems so fake and as Maximus said, "cheesy", but on the first one, MAN it seemed to REAL!!! it was the shiznit to me. But now, Tenchu has totally been screwed up and it's sad. Ninja Gaiden all the way. Can't wait to get it after the price drops.

Unreal
03-16-2004, 10:11 PM
All I know about Tenchu is this. I played the Ninja Gaiden demo and after I had my fun, I put the Tenchu demo in. I turned it off, and yes I am a graphics whore. I couldnt look at the game and I dont want to know what the full version is like :p

l Maximus l
03-17-2004, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by Unreal
All I know about Tenchu is this. I played the Ninja Gaiden demo and after I had my fun, I put the Tenchu demo in. I turned it off, and yes I am a graphics whore. I couldnt look at the game and I dont want to know what the full version is like :p

That's almost how I feel...except I actually played through the entire map that the Tenchu demo had...and, I kept waiting for it to get better and better....and sadly, it didn't. I'm sure there are tons of dudes that would like this game...I just couldn't get into it...and because it was on the same demo as the Ninja Gaiden demo, I had a hard time taking Tenchu seriously at all.

I'm more of an action game fan...I think Tenchu was way too slow for my liking....but, that's just it, Tenchu is supposed to be stealthy....I just had a hard time taking the enemies as a threat..they seemed way too cheesy.... Which made the game completely cheesy to me.

Just FYI, cheesy is a very very very bad thing.