PDA

View Full Version : product placement in video games

Hero
03-11-2004, 03:42 PM
source (http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/media/relatedmedia.asp?pf_id=241873&element_id=A6091084)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pandora Tomorrow starring Sony Ericsson
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ubisoft announces that in addition to weapons, Sam Fisher's Pandora Tomorrow arsenal will include two Sony Ericsson mobile phones.

Ubisoft has today announced a product promotion deal with Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications that will see Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow players taking on terrorists not only with guns but with a P900 smart phone and a T637 camera phone. The latest Sony Ericsson models will be used by central character Sam Fisher not only to communicate with his superiors but also to switch weapons and photograph suspects. Presumably, given the nature of Fisher's occupation, the phones will also have an option to switch the ringtone to silent.

"The innovative technology featured in the P900 and the T637 made these the perfect devices to add to the intense realism in Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow," said Dewey Walsh, product marketing director for Sony Ericsson North America. "The Sony Ericsson P900 smart phone is the ultimate complement to help Sam Fisher complete his missions. With its combination of PDA, phone, and camera features, it combines the latest and greatest in mobile technology, outfitting our hero with everything needs to combat evil."

"The Tom Clancy Splinter Cell franchise has a strong history of product promotions that have really paid off--with the original game selling more than 5.2 million copies to date," said Jill Steinberg, Ubisoft's director of media and promotions. "More and more brands are beginning to realize that TV viewership is down and that reaching the male 18-to-34 demographic from all fronts can be achieved by teaming up with a video game publisher. We are pleased to have Sony Ericsson join our group of A-list partners for this unique opportunity."

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow is currently scheduled for release on the Xbox, PC, and Game Boy Advance later this month. PlayStation 2 and GameCube versions of the game are expected to follow in July.

-- By Justin Calvert, GameSpot

Chr0nik
03-11-2004, 03:44 PM
An maybe during his Downtime, Sam Fisher can grab a BigMac, or a 12 inch sub with Jarred.

Crazy Joe
03-11-2004, 09:19 PM
well, didn't he use a palm pilot in the first one?

thrAsher
03-11-2004, 09:32 PM
You guys are funny.......

Product placement in video games is 'teh ghey'. I hate it. Ruined Munch's Oddyssey for me (the Snapple machines).

At least it's a bit watered down and makes some sort of sense in this case.

MikeMan91389
03-11-2004, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by thrAsher-XBA
You guys are funny.......

Product placement in video games is 'teh ghey'. I hate it. Ruined Munch's Oddyssey for me (the Snapple machines).

At least it's a bit watered down and makes some sort of sense in this case.

heh, i 4gr33 with thrAsher..... deffinitly 'teh ghey'

Tim
03-12-2004, 08:43 AM
I think product placement is great. It brings a little realsism to the game. How does it ruin a game?? It brings more money to the developers so they can make better games. Just my thoughts.

Oh yeah, what does 'teh ghey' mean?? I guess I'm a little behind the times. And "4gr33"? I assume the later means: agree, but I don't get it. These questions are not flames, I'm just ignorant this way! :cheers:

Crazy Joe
03-12-2004, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Tim
I think product placement is great. It brings a little realsism to the game. How does it ruin a game?? It brings more money to the developers so they can make better games. Just my thoughts.

Oh yeah, what does 'teh ghey' mean?? I guess I'm a little behind the times. And "4gr33"? I assume the later means: agree, but I don't get it. These questions are not flames, I'm just ignorant this way! :cheers:

it's lame internet talk that people use when they are trying to look cool. :D

Stagliano
03-12-2004, 11:50 AM
God but I loathe internet words. Still, it does me no harm so I'm not complaining if someone else wants to use them.

Anyway, now where was I? Oh yes, product placement in games, that was it. I've noticed a bit of it popping up in games more recently myself. Of course, I can't remember exactly where, what games they're in and for what products but I have noticed it. Oh, hang on a minute, I tell a lie, I do remember. In Judge Dredd: Dredd vs Death there are various times it has a can or crate of Red Bull in it. Doesn't surprise me. I know Red Bull spends a large percentage of it's profit on marketing.

I dunno if it's a good or a bad thing or not. I guess it kind of depends on the game. If the game is supposed to be set in the real world, then having real life products adds to the realism but it won't work so well in purely fictional worlds (like in Munch's Oddysee. That written, I don't recall seeing any Snapple machines in it and nor do I even know what Snapple is. I'm guessing some sort of apple flavoured drink?

Getting barely back on topic, I reckon it's okay for real life games but doesn't really work in fictional videogame surroundings. I mean, Morrowind with a few Coke tins lying about would seem a bit stupid.

Obviously it's done so the companies can make more money. If this leads to them being able to lower their game prices (which I'm certain they won't, the greedy so and sos) and doesn't interfere with the gameplay in any manner, then that would be okay.

I could see the Grand Theft Auto games being an absolute goldmine for product placement within (if people don't think they're a bit risque to be associated with).

Brutus
03-12-2004, 04:30 PM
I'm indifferent, but it is kinda' cool to see it. And some, you really need it. Like jersey's and the boards in hockey, you know!

Max33
03-12-2004, 04:55 PM
Dosent bother me a bit.Adds a tinge of realism.Id like to see more mini arcades,like in the original Shemue.

l Maximus l
03-12-2004, 05:57 PM
It doesn't bother me either...as long as it's done tastefully...and not too cheesy.

themoosearmy
03-12-2004, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by Brutus
I'm indifferent, but it is kinda' cool to see it. And some, you really need it. Like jersey's and the boards in hockey, you know!
The jerseys in sports games are liscensed from the players association of the respective league. So if a player is not in the players association (NHLPA, NFLPA etc.) they will not appear in the game a la Ken Griffey Jr. and Barry Bonds.

The boards stuff in hockey games (Koho, CCM, Bauer, Easton, etc.) are a great addition that definately add to realism. I'm surprised Madden hasn't gotten a hold on reebok yet.

Variation-XBA
03-13-2004, 03:03 AM
Nothing will beat Team Mountain Dew in Jet Moto for ps1 :D

Slowride
03-13-2004, 05:24 AM
I hate commercials in the movie theatres, but I don't care if there is product placement in a video game. Especially if it's done so that it adds to the realism.

bostwick202
03-13-2004, 12:40 PM
i would have too agree. Product placement is good, even if it's so blatantly obvious as long as it makes some sense. Like the Dole bananas in SMB.