PDA

View Full Version : Mafia is a really bad game

TheWheelMan
03-13-2004, 11:47 AM
ok i just picked it up yesterday from rogers video and there was lots of copies so they must have just gotten it in.Ive been wanting this game since the pc version was out i never had it for my pc because my pc sucks the game would crash the computer on a regular basis so ya i finally see that the xbox version is out so i grab it go home and play it well let me tell you i payed 6$$ to rent it and its not worth the money at all its nothing like the pc version........its really bad i tryed taking it back to rogers the same night but they said they couldnt just take it back if it was horrible so i said fine so now i have the damn game till monday and i dont ever want to stick it back in my xbox again........Damn rogers!!!!

My final words............Dont ever rent it and if you've bought the game i feel sorrie for you lol you just lost like 60$$$

borka105
03-13-2004, 01:37 PM
care to say why it's bad......?

-borka105

TheWheelMan
03-13-2004, 01:48 PM
Just trust me its awful no where nere how good the one for the pc was........Ill put it this way it could be a decent Psx title but the game is just unexceptable for the xbox:cuss:

Max33
03-13-2004, 04:01 PM
Good lookin out.

aircobra
03-13-2004, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by TheWheelMan
Just trust me its awful no where nere how good the one for the pc was........Ill put it this way it could be a decent Psx title but the game is just unexceptable for the xbox:cuss:

So you don't like it because of the graphics?

I've been playing the game for about an hour, and I like it. The graphics aren't the greatest but they aren't horrible. The gameplay is good, although there is quite a bit of driving involved.

Max33
03-13-2004, 05:36 PM
Howza bout giving it a rateing?I liked the PC demo,but worried that it would lose some of the challenge in the translation to console via the controllers.

TheWheelMan
03-13-2004, 05:59 PM
Air cobra the game sucks ok im not just talking about the graphics the gameplay blows and like ya its just not a very good port

FaTeL DeAtH
03-13-2004, 07:26 PM
dude the game dont suck..u just have no skill$

l Maximus l
03-13-2004, 09:55 PM
I heard the game sucked, too...I wasn't planning on getting it anyway. I just heard it was lame.

Crazy Joe
03-13-2004, 11:27 PM
i was excited about it, i think i will pick it up for a rental, the $6 will be worth satisfying my curiousity.

TheWheelMan
03-13-2004, 11:30 PM
no it wont please dont waste your money!!!

ScottTheKilla
03-14-2004, 07:23 AM
Ya I plan on renting it too. I never played the PC version so if its worse I cant be let down lol

borka105
03-14-2004, 09:08 AM
after 11 posts, still no explanation on why it sucks...

can we get specific people.....? this game really interests me.

GTA had bad graphics and that didn't stop it from being a great game.

-borka105

Hard Boiled Cop
03-14-2004, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by borka105
after 11 posts, still no explanation on why it sucks...

can we get specific people.....? this game really interests me.

GTA had bad graphics and that didn't stop it from being a great game.

-borka105

Exactly! Why do you guys keep on saying 'it sucks, it sucks, it sucks'? Well give us some explanation on why it sucks? Its not that hard. Just go through the controls, is it good or what? How about the sound? One of you guys mentioned about the driving, so how's the driving in the game? Is it as bad as True Crimes?

This British boy needs to know some info here.

m4oH
03-14-2004, 09:31 AM
Ya this game isnt the best but it doesnt COMPLETELY suck. I give it a 6 out of 10:cool: The driving isnt as bad as true crime

TheWheelMan
03-14-2004, 11:03 AM
Alrite i dont care anymore you people do what you want the fact is 3 out of 3 people said it sucked cause i rented it and ya my 2 other friends said the same thing i did. O gta dosent have bad graphics its awesome mafia has bad graphics:argue1:

TheWheelMan
03-14-2004, 11:04 AM
My rating.........2 out of 10:mad:

Max33
03-14-2004, 11:08 AM
Aw, yer mother has bad graphics.

TheWheelMan
03-14-2004, 11:11 AM
Thats great we even have shotty come-backs in this post :watchout: ok fine im ganna say that i was throughly disgusted with mafia.......i dont really care if you people like it im just warning anyone who hasnt played it that its not worth it

Max33
03-14-2004, 11:19 AM
Just bull*****tin,Wheelman.I appreiate the warning.I'd just like to hear some other perspectives.Not everyone has the same tastes.

Hard Boiled Cop
03-14-2004, 01:44 PM
This should be in the debating section. It seems as if lots of people have different views on this. Still none of you guys have even tried to explain why Mafia is such a ****ty game. Apart from M4oH who happened to talk about the driving section a bit. Quit saying it has crap graphics, we know that already! At least 7 people already said that. Tell me something APART from graphics.

OC Noob
03-14-2004, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Hard Boiled Cop
This should be in the debating section. It seems as if lots of people have different views on this. Still none of you guys have even tried to explain why Mafia is such a ****ty game. Apart from M4oH who happened to talk about the driving section a bit. Quit saying it has crap graphics, we know that already! At least 7 people already said that. Tell me something APART from graphics.

Agreed. I'm starting to think no one in this thread has really played the game yet. Its not that hard to give specifics. The traffic laws were too strict in the PC version and the cars were too histoically acurate, they were slow and boring.

That is specific information about the PC version.

I find it hard to believe no one is capable of saying something this simple about the Xbox version. Throw us a bone people, I'm not going to believe ANYTHING just because you say so. Give us some substantial information.

themoosearmy
03-14-2004, 10:38 PM
I'll rent it tomorrow for y'all and give a review, hopefully it won't be too bad, because I've been waitin for a good gangster game to come out.

bigloser
03-14-2004, 11:15 PM
Mafia isn't "Horrible" nor is it bad. The story in Mafia is really good, the voice acting in Mafia is also very good. The cars handle very realistically, especially when you consider the specs of the cars, and from what generation they're from. The graphics arn't bad, they're average. Somethings look really good, like the character faces, the game even has a good amount of lip syncing. The car models also look decent, not great, but decent. Other parts of the graphics are below average, the draw in distance isn't very good, and a lot of the building textures look low rez. The frame rate stays constant for the most part, but does tend to drop a bit when you get more than 7 or 8 cars on screen at once.

Overall I would give the graphics a 6 out of 10. Not bad, just average.

As far as how well the controls translated from the PC version, to the Box. I think the developers did a sloppy job in some spots, while great in others.

The cars controls very well(as i've already said), and work perfectly with the Xbox's controller. The aiming controls didn't make the conversion so well though. The auto targeting system isn't very good, you basically have to look at an enemy, then aim the reticle on the enemy, then press the black button to use "Auto targeting". It's almost useless, and you're honestly better off just manually aiming. Manually aiming isn't too bad, but it seems like at times even though your reticle is right on an enemy. The bullets don't even hit them, even if you're 2 feet in front of someone. This rarely is an issue, and has only happened to me twice. But it's a problem that shouldn't be in the final build of the game.

The hand to hand combat works out ok, but you won't be doing much of that. You'll be spending the majority of your time driving, and shooting.

Overall Mafia isn't bad, just average. I would give it a 7 out of 10. I don't think it's worth $50 bucks, if anyone is interested in Mafia, I would just rent it, or wait for the game to drop to $30 bucks.

Hard Boiled Cop
03-15-2004, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by bigloser
Mafia isn't "Horrible" nor is it bad. The story in Mafia is really good, the voice acting in Mafia is also very good. The cars handle very realistically, especially when you consider the specs of the cars, and from what generation they're from. The graphics arn't bad, they're average. Somethings look really good, like the character faces, the game even has a good amount of lip syncing. The car models also look decent, not great, but decent. Other parts of the graphics are below average, the draw in distance isn't very good, and a lot of the building textures look low rez. The frame rate stays constant for the most part, but does tend to drop a bit when you get more than 7 or 8 cars on screen at once.

Overall I would give the graphics a 6 out of 10. Not bad, just average.

As far as how well the controls translated from the PC version, to the Box. I think the developers did a sloppy job in some spots, while great in others.

The cars controls very well(as i've already said), and work perfectly with the Xbox's controller. The aiming controls didn't make the conversion so well though. The auto targeting system isn't very good, you basically have to look at an enemy, then aim the reticle on the enemy, then press the black button to use "Auto targeting". It's almost useless, and you're honestly better off just manually aiming. Manually aiming isn't too bad, but it seems like at times even though your reticle is right on an enemy. The bullets don't even hit them, even if you're 2 feet in front of someone. This rarely is an issue, and has only happened to me twice. But it's a problem that shouldn't be in the final build of the game.

The hand to hand combat works out ok, but you won't be doing much of that. You'll be spending the majority of your time driving, and shooting.

Overall Mafia isn't bad, just average. I would give it a 7 out of 10. I don't think it's worth $50 bucks, if anyone is interested in Mafia, I would just rent it, or wait for the game to drop to $30 bucks.(Least not with the control iss

Finally, somebody with the decency to explain in such detail about this game. I thank you for that.
You see guys, its not that hard to explain it. Just time and patience would do.

TheWheelMan
03-15-2004, 10:41 AM
Im not listening to this crap anymore:cuss:

Casper
03-15-2004, 10:45 AM
Im not listening to this crap anymore:cuss:

Then why did you reply, or better yet, even start the thread? :huh:

If you're going to make a thread to bash a game, at least give some valid points and play the game more than 2 minutes (or just watched the trailer).

TheWheelMan
03-15-2004, 10:59 AM
Shut the **** up i played the game for 2 hours and i hated it my friends did 2 i thought the graphics where terrible the gameplay wasnt on par and ya i have played the game so dont tell me i havent i wanted the game since it came out on pc i couldnt really play it on my pc cause it sucks.....i played the demo but it didnt last long without crashing but i thought the game was awesome for the time it worked so ya when it came to xbox i figured hey maybe this is the answer so i dont need to buy a new video card and hard drive and everything but sadly it wasnt i just really dislike this game cause i played it and id say if you wanted to buy it the price should be like 20$ cause its like a budget title later

Chaotic
03-15-2004, 11:06 AM
Shut the **** up i played the game for 2 hours and i hated it my friends did 2 i thought the graphics where terrible the gameplay wasnt on par and ya i have played the game so dont tell me i havent i wanted the game since it came out on pc i couldnt really play it on my pc cause it sucks.....i played the demo but it didnt last long without crashing but i thought the game was awesome for the time it worked so ya when it came to xbox i figured hey maybe this is the answer so i dont need to buy a new video card and hard drive and everything but sadly it wasnt i just really dislike this game cause i played it and id say if you wanted to buy it the price should be like 20$ cause its like a budget title later

Telling an admin to shut the F up won't get you far. :rolleyes:

Nath5000
03-15-2004, 11:10 AM
I figured that it wasnt going to be or run or look that good on the xbox. the game is a memory/processor/gpu road hog, its basically programmed like gtaIII for the PC and ported to the xbox without any optomization other then bumming stuff down so it runs. Oh well some developers can do it, others cant. Its too bad

RichVGS
03-15-2004, 11:13 AM
Well if you don't feel satisfied by what is being written, check the front page in like a week for my review of Mafia. I started playing yesturday, but I really haven't formed an opinion.

Casper
03-15-2004, 11:15 AM
Ahhh, the great insults by the youth.

So you played the game for 2 hours and relized it wasn't an easy game and gave up on it.

Thanks, but I'll try the game out myself before listening to someone's immature review. Better luck next time.

And I advise you watch the way you talk to people that help run this site - no matter who you are. I wasn't telling you to STFU, but yet, you decided you would get some balls today - nice one http://www.xboxaddict.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

Max33
03-15-2004, 11:39 AM
Well its obvious Wheelmans mad because Mafia isnt GTA.Dont worry little fella, you just need a nap.

bigloser
03-15-2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Max33
Well its obvious Wheelmans mad because Mafia isnt GTA.Dont worry little fella, you just need a nap.

Yeah, it's not like GTA at all, it's more realistic. And I like the game because of that.

GTA is more of an arcade game. While Mafia is more of a simulation, you have to obey traffic laws, you can't go around hitting people, or running into other cars, you can't run red lights, you can't go over the speed limit. If you do, you'll get pulled over by the police, and get a ticket, or even go to jail. The cars control much more realistic than the cars in GTA. The weapons are also more realistic, when you fire a tommy gun, the crosshair doesn't just sit on the enemy while you hold down the trigger. No, it's more realistic, you have to actually try and burst, because the tommy gun has too much recoil.

I can see a lot of people who liked GTA turned off by Mafia's simulation style gameplay.

TheWheelMan
03-15-2004, 12:12 PM
Ok sorrie for telling you off i didnt know you where a site admin so sorrie about that but i have played the game and it wasnt that i found it too hard it was just unbareable to play maybe its for the fact that i played some of the pc version and it was amazing and now this is just not up to standards with it.........ok everybody stop telling me i havent played it cause i have and in making this thread i am stating my opinion and hoping that people will listen and again sorrie Casper-xba

Kyle Static
03-15-2004, 12:12 PM
I'm sorry, I can't even bother to read this thread. If you think Mafia is a bad game, its a fault of the xbox, not of the game. Mafia is by far one of my favourite games of all time, with an ending that tops some movies. If you don't like it you must have nearly zero taste in games, that is all. :watchout:

Duke
03-15-2004, 12:20 PM
Ok sorrie for telling you off i didnt know you where a site admin so sorrie about that but i have played the game and it wasnt that i found it too hard it was just unbareable to play maybe its for the fact that i played some of the pc version and it was amazing and now this is just not up to standards with it.........ok everybody stop telling me i havent played it cause i have and in making this thread i am stating my opinion and hoping that people will listen and again sorrie Casper-xba

Site admin or not, you better learn some manners before I send my little sister after you.

Grow up.

Max33
03-15-2004, 12:41 PM
Well I'd consider this a sucessful thread.We got several opinions(Wheelmans certainly expressed his) and a decent review. I'm definatly gonna check out the game. Thanks to everybody for their two cents.

Kyle Static
03-15-2004, 12:53 PM
You tell em duke! so duke...about that little sister? :p

Really Wheelman, stop freaking out, just because everyone doesn't agree with what your saying doesn't mean you have to flame them ore use this a million times ":cuss:"

Chaotic
03-15-2004, 01:00 PM

I agree if you have played the PC version then you will not like the xbox version because it is a lot worse.

l Maximus l
03-15-2004, 01:07 PM
For the most part, if any game is ported over to XBox and it's only a PoS2 port, then, it's likely going to be sub par when it comes to graphics. Now, if a game is a port of the PC and is ported over to the XBox, graphically, it should be a lot better.

Now, I'm not bashing all PoS2 ports that are on XBox...but, from what I saw regarding Mafia, it was bad.

Developers need to get off of their asses and pump these games up by maximizing the ability of the hardware platform...because, they may as well as get used to it since the XBox 2 and PoS3 are right around the corner.

Caesar SYN
03-15-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Maximus SYN
For the most part, if any game is ported over to XBox and it's only a PoS2 port, then, it's likely going to be sub par when it comes to graphics. Now, if a game is a port of the PC and is ported over to the XBox, graphically, it should be a lot better.

Now, I'm not bashing all PoS2 ports that are on XBox...but, from what I saw regarding Mafia, it was bad.

WTF? :huh:

PC -> Xbox and the Xbox graphics should be better? So, then explain to me, why the Xbox would support graphics that are better than the PC games that are out right now. It sure isn't that they are making games for weaker video cards that the Xbox has when you compare it to an ATI 9800 Pro 256 mb card, because if you think that the Xbox can support games with more graphics power than on the PC, than you really need to look into realizing that the Xbox isn't THAT good.

Also, Ps2 port to Xbox - the best port I've seen was the GTA series, but mainly because they used the engine that was used for the PC version.

Chaotic
03-15-2004, 01:57 PM
yea, i was gonna say something just like what you stated.

The mafia port is from the PC not ps2.

most games that are ported are worse.

The PC is and always will be the best looking and fastest gaming machine you can get.

TheWheelMan
03-15-2004, 02:13 PM
Finally someone agreed with me.....yes the xbox version isnt that great compared to the pc version i mean if i had a better pc i would get that game in a heartbeat cause its very amersive and sorrie for freaking out ok.......me just got frustrated:p no problems:)

Max33
03-15-2004, 03:15 PM
It's over. Close the Thread.

Tony_Macaroni
03-16-2004, 12:45 PM
ok heres WHY it sucked....the graphics are ps1 graphics, the controls need a little getting used to...the actual game is horrible beacause of the following...too much driving, the driving in the game sux so even if u dont mind driving the games way of being behind the wheel is beyond terrible, the guns sound about as bad as tenchu's sword clashing (REAL GAMEBOY STYLES) and when ur on ur feet u feel like ur playin pack man....theres NO movement at all u click left and he flashes to the left almost. The controls are sitff.... DO NOT BUY THIS GAME TO SATISFY CURIOSITY.....if ur quik to anger dont even read bout the game...

NE QUESTIONS?:cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

yall
03-16-2004, 03:06 PM
ok i just picked it up yesterday from rogers video and there was lots of copies so they must have just gotten it in.Ive been wanting this game since the pc version was out i never had it for my pc

Just trust me its awful no where nere how good the one for the pc was........

So if you didn't have it for your PC, how is it that you are able to use the PC version as a basis for comparing the two?

And try and clean up your grammar a little bit kid. Reading your post was as difficult as trying to pry an 8 year old away from Michael Jackson.

OC Noob
03-17-2004, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Hard Boiled Cop

Finally, somebody with the decency to explain in such detail about this game. I thank you for that.
You see guys, its not that hard to explain it. Just time and patience would do.

I couldn't agree more.

Thank you bigloser.

TheWheelMan
03-18-2004, 05:15 PM
I had the demo for my pc and surprisingly it ran ok well i mean i had to lower all the graphics and everything but it still looked a whole lot better then the xbox version........and buddy screw you i will not clean up my grammer i write how i want *******!!!

Casper
03-18-2004, 06:03 PM
Ok, here's MY input....

I rented the game yesterday and have about 4 or 5 hours into it already. Yes, you have to drive alot, but you also have to realize, you're playing out this guys story - just like in Prince of Persia - and in my eyes, being that I'm Italian, this is very cool since it's more 'real' to me being that I know the backgrounds of what they're doing here.

The graphics are actually pretty good - a little dull, but it gives you that '20s feel where everything is old. The cars are pretty cool - straight out of the original Model T's and what not from back in the day. The pedestrians own the roads, more or less, and yell at you if you beep at them. It takes some time to get used to the slowness of the cars, but they weren't all Ferrari's or Porsche's back then, unlike most of today's gamers are used to.

This is a great sim so far. I like how you play out his story and even though when people talk, their lips don't really follow (makes you fell like your watching a bad kung fu flick) the voice acting is great.

For those that are looking at this game as a GTA killer, it's not.

GTA is to the Sopranos what this game is to The Godfather - it's that simple.

Tony_Macaroni
03-19-2004, 10:30 PM
im italian too....the game still sucks...:cry: i wish i liked it but i dont .

ScottTheKilla
03-20-2004, 02:29 PM
I had the demo for my pc and surprisingly it ran ok well i mean i had to lower all the graphics and everything but it still looked a whole lot better then the xbox version........and buddy screw you i will not clean up my grammer i write how i want *******!!!

Youre still in the thread getting all mad over nothing? You need to relax or something because a difference in opinion shouldnt upset someone so much.