PDA

View Full Version : Breakdown or Fight Night?

diranged
03-14-2004, 02:57 AM
what game do you guys think will be a better buy. Breakdown seems good but for how long? fight night can go either way it can be awsome and have great replayability or it can suck and have playability like rocky. so far the vidz ive seen for both look good. check out the vids at www.gametrailers.com
:cheers:

l Maximus l
03-14-2004, 03:16 AM
The best way to judge for yourself is to head on down to a game rental store...seriously, vids are nice, but, they definately don't show enough.

StudioAlex
03-14-2004, 09:02 AM
There's a four part demo of Breakdown in the april issue of OXM. Why they didn't just make one long demo, I have no idea. Anyway, it's pretty cool. The hand to hand works really well, which is a first for an fp game. The shooting isn't halo quality (the japanese developer made some "interesting" choices with the design like not allowing you to aim yourself but rather, cycle through targets) but I understand in the final game you don't really shoot much anyway. I found it more fun just to beat guys up anyway. My biggest caveat would be the head bob as you run down corridors. And it seems like you have to hit X a lot just to do a simple task (you'll see what I mean if you play the demo).

So anyway from the review, the pros: Innovative and fun gameplay, a great story (better than Halo, about as good as KotOR) and good graphics (especially the character models) and sound.

The cons: the aiming kinda sux, some frustrating platforming, some AI not so good.

They gave it an 8.5 over all. After playing the demo, I'm definately stoked on this game.

Shadow20002
03-14-2004, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by StudioAlex
There's a four part demo of Breakdown in the april issue of OXM. Why they didn't just make one long demo, I have no idea. Anyway, it's pretty cool. The hand to hand works really well, which is a first for an fp game. The shooting isn't halo quality (the japanese developer made some "interesting" choices with the design like not allowing you to aim yourself but rather, cycle through targets) but I understand in the final game you don't really shoot much anyway. I found it more fun just to beat guys up anyway. My biggest caveat would be the head bob as you run down corridors. And it seems like you have to hit X a lot just to do a simple task (you'll see what I mean if you play the demo).

So anyway from the review, the pros: Innovative and fun gameplay, a great story (better than Halo, about as good as KotOR) and good graphics (especially the character models) and sound.

The cons: the aiming kinda sux, some frustrating platforming, some AI not so good.

They gave it an 8.5 over all. After playing the demo, I'm definately stoked on this game.

Maybe i will give it a try...

BoundBruiser
03-14-2004, 05:40 PM
Breakdown looks very good, but I think I'm going to rent it to see If I'll buy it or not. Besides Fable and Halo 2 I'm going to rent games before I buy them. I'm sick of buying games that your all hyped up on and then you buy them and they end up being trash.

themoosearmy
03-14-2004, 11:17 PM
The only sports games I like are football and hockey, so I'd go with Breakdown. I'd definately rent first tho. i only buy games i know for a fact are going to be good.

Trento52
03-15-2004, 12:00 AM
I don't care for boxing but have been planning on getting breakdown for really long time. Can't wait to try the demo.

Chaotic
03-15-2004, 08:43 AM
Don't get breakdown.

Just some advice. Rent it if you want to check the game out.

The game honestly is horrible. :o

aircobra
03-15-2004, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by ChaoticMage-XBA
The game honestly is horrible. :o

I think we went over that last week. Seriously the games is bad, if you really want to play it just rent it.

CRAYMAN
03-15-2004, 11:26 AM
I'm gonna bet that this is going to be more of a preference issue.
Some reviews have been relatively low for Breakdown and others have been 8-9/10.

I think I will like this because I like innovative titles and the FP fighting looks like fun.

However I am a big Boxing fan(big mistake fighting Winky, Shane) and I enjoyed Rocky, but Fight Night isn't as enjoyable as I had hoped from playing the Demo. I may still pick it up but not being able to play on LIVE(:cuss: EA) is really going to reduce the replay value as well. Maybe Microsoft will bring one out.

My advice over the two would be Breakdown, unless you have a bunch of buds that you play with a lot that would consider boxing over a good Halo death match.

mattgame
03-15-2004, 03:25 PM
Fight Night is the shizzell. I'll tell you this much, if you don't know how to box or don't know the sport this one is going to be hard for ya. I'm getting fight night. I'm going with Chaotic and say that I'm not impressed with Breakdown. :cheers:

alistein
03-16-2004, 11:03 AM
Breakdown is a good looking game atleast from the demo, not everything you probably expect but inspite of it's shortcomings the game still manages to look like a must buy.
The main problem I think with this game is that it just doesn't push the xbox the way it should and that gets noticeable especially with the kind of games we are seeing now. Ninja Gaiden for one clearly shows how far apart it is in the technical department from this game also Namco continually hyped this game on false screens at E3 . But if you are looking for a great story,movie experience then "Breakdown" is for you. Forget about the graphics which are only bad for certain surroundings and great for the character models.
Breakdown should be given a chance regardless of the visuals ,it is a great game,best FPS /fighting story and also good sales of this game could ensure a much better xclusively developed game next time around.

mattgame
03-16-2004, 04:10 PM
Question: when you say best FPS/ fighting game, better than what exactly? :huh:

StudioAlex
03-16-2004, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by t_howell
Question: when you say best FPS/ fighting game, better than what exactly? :huh:

Why, I bet he means this craptacular afront to all mankind. (http://www.gamers.com/game/196248)