PDA

View Full Version : Game price points

Crazy Joe
03-14-2004, 03:21 PM
It seems like there are 4 primary price points for games:

49.99 (new)
39.99 (1st party titles, after a little while)
29.99 (new but cheap)
19.99 (Platinum Hits or old)

now, does its seem weird to anyone else that a game like say...... Fable or Halo 2 that takes big teams YEARS to make comes out at the same price point as games that take fractions of the time to make?

i realize some games come out at 29.99, but this is only for bare bones games like Namco Museum, Monopoly Party, etc. etc.

I'm not complaining, but it seems like games that take WAY more man-hours should cost a little more than games that take less.

I guess it's the same as movies, most are priced around the same for purchase no matter what the budget, but games don't get the benefit of a theatre release.

This is just something i've been thinking about, any thoughts?

The Executioner
03-14-2004, 03:32 PM
I would agree witht that. Remember however that a game like Ninja Gaiden that took 5 years to make did get 31,000 copies sold the first day it was out. When a game like Finding Nemo didn't

Stagliano
03-15-2004, 07:03 AM
I can see why you write that but I reckon the games buying public at large would just think 'Hmmm, that's a bit cheaper. I'll get it' and they wouldn't shift as many copies of the more expensive games.

I'm sure there are times you've been torn between two games (without considering how long they were in development for) and ended up getting the cheaper one. Although it seems fair, I don't think it would help their sales much.

anarchyZERO
03-15-2004, 09:39 AM
Beyond Good and Evil is an awesome game and when it was released it was 29.99...or 39.99...i dont really remember

if any of you want a GREAT cheap game...BG&E is it

Stagliano
03-15-2004, 10:50 AM
Absolutely! Beyond Good and Evil is excellent. You can get it in the UK for £19-99 GBP and it was only released a few weeks ago. Needless to say, I was stupid and spent £26-99 GBP on it but it's well worth that too.

The Executioner
03-15-2004, 02:53 PM
Haven't played it yet. Why is it good? 'Cause everyone seems to love it.

Stagliano
03-15-2004, 04:26 PM
My main reason for liking Beyond Good and Evil as much as I do is how it's very story driven. Everything you do in it seems to advance the story a little. I don't think there's ever a point where I have played it and thought 'What's the point in all this'.

The game world looks lovely and has some of the best water I've ever seen in any game. The animals in the game world are exceptional too. It's a well realised little area.

There is quite a bit of stealth within the game but it rarely frustrates. With stealth based games, I often find I get really frustrated and bored at doing the same things over and over again but Beyond Good and Evil makes it fun. Whilst you will (unless you're extremely good at it) have to repeat certain stealth parts, it never seems to get to the point where you would feel like there's no way past or that you have to give up.

It's the kind of game I could put on and enjoy just by travelling about within the game world.

There are a few enjoyable mini-game sections in it (all relevant to the main game) and they're fun. Without giving too much away, this includes racing.

I find it hard to putn my finger on exactly what it is makes Beyond Good and Evil quite so good. I mean, it looks good, the world it is set in is fantastic, the sound is good (there is a great tune when you're racing in the city), the character design is superb and everything but it's greater than the sum of its parts. It just works and works really really well.

As you may be able to tell, I like it very much indeed.

George89
03-15-2004, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by halo2man
I would agree witht that. Remember however that a game like Ninja Gaiden that took 5 years to make did get 31,000 copies sold the first day it was out. When a game like Finding Nemo didn't

Those 30000 copies on the first day was for JAPAN Only....imagine how many it sold in the US

bostwick202
03-15-2004, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by George89

Those 30000 copies on the first day was for JAPAN Only....imagine how many it sold in the US

where it isn't dead last