PDA

View Full Version : Xbox Drive Prob:

SoundX
03-21-2004, 01:23 PM
Hey guys, I haven't been here in a while.

Anyways, my Xbox refuses to play any of my games, it just gives me a error message. I've looked around and I've gathered I'll need to send it off to MS to get it fixed. Problem is, I got it at launch (UK) so no warranty. I'll have to pay for the repairs, anyone got any ideas on the costs?

Sorry if I put this in the wrong place.

LiquidX
03-21-2004, 01:43 PM
If you send it off its going to cost as much as a new one since your in the UK (shipping costs). Its really not worth it to get it repaired since you lose all of your saved games, music, etc. What I would try first if I were you is taking it apart to see if you can fix it yourself. I did this about a month ago when I get a bunch of DDE's. I cleaned the eye on the DVD and moved the IDE cable so it wasnt blocking the fan. My Xbox has been working perfect ever since. If you dont want to do that or it doesnt work I would recommend buying a new one.

DaDonkaDonkas
03-21-2004, 01:55 PM
It depends on what they are going to be doing to your XBOX. I am guessing that it is going to be around $20-90.

LiquidX
03-21-2004, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by DaDonkaDonkas
It depends on what they are going to be doing to your XBOX. I am guessing that it is going to be around $20-90.

99% of all Xbox repairs are $100 or more... usually around $125 for the problem he's talking about. But since he's in the UK it will be more if he has to ship it to the US... unless they have a customer service place over there... still it will be a lot of money.

Shadow20002
03-21-2004, 02:48 PM
hmm... better clean it up first then...

MikeMan91389
03-21-2004, 03:57 PM
jeez, thats a ton... i'd just go to the store, and try to get a samsung...

LiquidX
03-21-2004, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by MikeMan91389
jeez, thats a ton... i'd just go to the store, and try to get a samsung...

I know... thats exactly what my friend did. His stopped reading discs and MS wanted $130 with shipping to fix it. He just went and bought a new xbox and a memory card and transfered all his saves from the old to the new xbox. Then he returned his old xbox saying it didnt work. May not be honest but hey, they shouldnt be messing up under normal use to begin with.

Max33
03-21-2004, 05:05 PM
Yeah man , I'd try manually cleaning the eye.Worked for me.

Whisper
03-22-2004, 08:31 AM
cleaning didn't work for me.. phoned Microsoft and they gave me a new one for free after trying to fix it for a few weeks.. didn't even pay shipping

if your XBOX was made on a certain date in a certain place it's free, not sure if it still applies though

SoundX
03-22-2004, 10:37 AM
I got mine at launch so it probably won't apply.

My god, that's alot of money to get a repair. I'm phoning them tonight, if it's not free, I'll get a nice new crystal version and sell off my faulty one to a friend who doesn't mind taking it apart to try and fix it. He says he can do it for me but I don't trust him, he broke someones PS2.

Anyways, thanks for ya help guys.

Chaotic
03-22-2004, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by SoundX
I got mine at launch so it probably won't apply.

My god, that's alot of money to get a repair. I'm phoning them tonight, if it's not free, I'll get a nice new crystal version and sell off my faulty one to a friend who doesn't mind taking it apart to try and fix it. He says he can do it for me but I don't trust him, he broke someones PS2.

Anyways, thanks for ya help guys.

Those crystal ones are sweet :cheers:

SoundX
03-28-2004, 12:16 PM
Got myself a nice crystal version coming in the post. I found out what was wrong with it, those crappy thompson drives. :cuss:

Ah well, sorted now. My mate didn't buy my old Xbox in the end, which is kind of good. I might open it up, change the drive and get it modded. :cheers: