PDA

View Full Version : whats the diff between the french and english versions of games?!?!

Kwik_Kaos
03-21-2004, 02:13 PM
can you switch the language in the options menus or is it only one language or is it just the manual that is french?

BananaMan
03-21-2004, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Kwik_Kaos
can you switch the language in the options menus or is it only one language or is it just the manual that is french?

Ask yourself this:

Can you change the English games to other languages?

Shadow20002
03-21-2004, 02:39 PM
Hmm..english only for game.

Tony_Macaroni
03-21-2004, 03:34 PM
i only know of games where u an switch to french option text.:cheers:

Buby
03-21-2004, 10:41 PM
I don't really know...

Tony_Macaroni
03-22-2004, 03:05 PM
lol i know this is terribly off topic but i remember when my little brother rented star fox adventures for his gamecube,,,, and at the beginning they're speaking like....dinosaur language (sounded like french or sumthin) and my brother and I spent like 45 min. trying to change it to english in the options menu....then we decided screw it jus play the damn game.....after the into cinematic....u realize its a dino language wen fox begins to talk...:eek:

Hard Boiled Cop
03-22-2004, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Tony_Macaroni
lol i know this is terribly off topic but i remember when my little brother rented star fox adventures for his gamecube,,,, and at the beginning they're speaking like....dinosaur language (sounded like french or sumthin) and my brother and I spent like 45 min. trying to change it to english in the options menu....then we decided screw it jus play the damn game.....after the into cinematic....u realize its a dino language wen fox begins to talk...:eek:

lol. I remember when I played a game that spoke a different language but I soon realise that its just the characters way of speaking.

CRAYMAN
03-22-2004, 04:22 PM
Well, for one...the French games have a snotty French accent and say "weewee" instead of just "yes".:cool:

Stagliano
03-22-2004, 06:19 PM
It depends on the individual game and the company who makes it. Some games are released with all the dialogue spoken in French and some are just the options and the manual (as people wrote before).

I imagine a French company (like Ubisoft for example) is probably fairly likely to release a decent percentage of its games in French language whereas companies based elsewhere are less likely to do so. So I would guess anyway.

StudioAlex
03-22-2004, 07:31 PM
What's the difference? Well, in the french version of Splinter Cell, Sam Fisher doesn't so much infiltrate and assissinate as he justs surrenders the moment anyone sees him.

OC Noob
03-23-2004, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by StudioAlex
What's the difference? Well, in the french version of Splinter Cell, Sam Fisher doesn't so much infiltrate and assissinate as he justs surrenders the moment anyone sees him.

lol, don't forget the Medal of Dishonor series where you simply travel around the Maginot Line to beat the game.

Or KotOR where you surrender to the first Sith on Taris

etc..

Stagliano
03-24-2004, 06:39 AM
Things like this don't normally bother me but doesn't the way this thread is going strike anyone as being just a tad racist?

StudioAlex
03-24-2004, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Stagliano
Things like this don't normally bother me but doesn't the way this thread is going strike anyone as being just a tad racist?

No. Last time I checked, french wasn't a race. What government school brought you up thinking that?:huh:

anarchyZERO
03-24-2004, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by StudioAlex

No. Last time I checked, french wasn't a race. :huh:

race is not jsut black and white people.

Stagliano
03-24-2004, 11:23 AM
I don't want to get stupid and personal about this but it seems Studio Alex feels I've written something offensive and just plain wrong. For his/her benefit, here is a definition of race from Dictionary.co.uk:

race

group noun {C}

a group of people who share the same language, history, characteristics, etc:
- LITERARY The British are an island race

Unless you now wish to argue with a word's definition in a dictionary, I think that would include the French as a race.

I really didn't want to make a big deal of this but I'm not going to sit and watch someone be so obviously incorrect about something yet have the gall and ignorance to accuse others of being in the wrong.

CRAYMAN
03-24-2004, 01:27 PM
I don't want to get stupid and personal about this but it seems Studio Alex feels I've written something offensive and just plain wrong. For his/her benefit, here is a definition of race from Dictionary.co.uk:

race

group noun {C}

a group of people who share the same language, history, characteristics, etc:
- LITERARY The British are an island race

Unless you now wish to argue with a word's definition in a dictionary, I think that would include the French as a race.

I really didn't want to make a big deal of this but I'm not going to sit and watch someone be so obviously incorrect about something yet have the gall and ignorance to accuse others of being in the wrong.

I think you won the "race" debate.

I think that studioalex is referring to the French government's response to the al-qada/terrorist battle and perceived policy of appeasement.:argue1:

Stagliano
03-24-2004, 01:32 PM
It is a bit of generalisation though and suggests all French people are cowards. It's no different than writing all white/black/Asian (and so on) people are cowards.

Anyway, I don't want to write any more about it so I'll stop here and not get into anything silly. I hope I've not offended anyone somehow.

CRAYMAN
03-24-2004, 02:33 PM
It is a bit of generalisation though and suggests all French people are cowards. It's no different than writing all white/black/Asian (and so on) people are cowards.

Anyway, I don't want to write any more about it so I'll stop here and not get into anything silly. I hope I've not offended anyone somehow.

Oooooh, runnin' away eh?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:p

OC Noob
03-24-2004, 02:49 PM

Poking fun at French military incompetence being deemed racist is a bit of a stretch and certainly kinder then most remarks the French would make about us in the U.S.

If my coments offended you then i apologize. It was meant as light hearted humor about French military incompetence over the last 100 years. Not to oppress the French or to complain about their oposition in attacking Iraq. They were just trying to protect their finacial interests like any country would do.

Hey, if you can't rip on military incompetence what can you rip on. If there is one thing all military forces are ripe with, its incompetence.

CRAYMAN
03-24-2004, 04:29 PM
He didn't mention you.:huh:

OC Noob
03-24-2004, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by CRAYMAN
He didn't mention you.:huh:

Well, in that case...

How many French men does it take to screw in a light bulb?

CRAYMAN
03-24-2004, 06:40 PM
:D