PDA

View Full Version : Possible good news concerning Shenmue III

StudioAlex
03-22-2004, 07:27 PM
The Shenmue website (http://www.shenmue.com) was recently relaunched (the english portion was launched just last month). I can only see this as a good indicator part three is on the way. I mean, why bother revamping the website for shenmue II, as it's already a couple of years old by now.

Also, this guy (http://www.planetxbox.com/shenmuedojo/shenmue3.shtml) has accumulated a good deal of evidence that points to its development.

The series continues because of very strong fan requests. The fans want them, so we make them. We can't say yet when the sequels will be released, but we will do our best to not let the fans down. So, I would like to say to the fans: please look forward to more Shen Mue games on Xbox. ~Shin Ishikawa~

TuffEagle88
03-22-2004, 07:30 PM
I never played the 1st one and the 2nd one was medicore with an ending that really, really, R-E-A-L-L-Y blowed, so I'll have to wait and think about Shenmue3.

StudioAlex
03-22-2004, 07:33 PM
I wonder, why would you bother looking at (and responding) a post about a game you don't like?

TuffEagle88
03-22-2004, 07:54 PM
I didn't say I didn't like the second one, I just said I didn't like it as much as a lot of other people. I thought like I was watching a movie more than playing a game. It had some interesting aspects. And you had to admit that the last bit of gameplay was pretty boring. But that neither made the entire game bad or means that the third one will be bad, I'm simply stating that I'm going to have to wait and think about buying the 3rd because of what I thought of the 2nd one.

TheCovenant
03-22-2004, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by TuffEagle88
I didn't say I didn't like the second one, I just said I didn't like it as much as a lot of other people. I thought like I was watching a movie more than playing a game. It had some interesting aspects. And you had to admit that the last bit of gameplay was pretty boring. But that neither made the entire game bad or means that the third one will be bad, I'm simply stating that I'm going to have to wait and think about buying the 3rd because of what I thought of the 2nd one.

im with you 100%. i played the first one on dreamcast ( did it ever come out with anything else?), and rented the second one for xbox. Neither is really impressive, but since the endings are so bad, and leave you in the middle of something, you have to know what everything was seriously about. It colndt have ended, you think, after all that work, i deserve a much better story than this...

eh, thats why i keep playing it. I just want to know what happens....

But im not going to lose any sleep if they say that shenmua 3 will not be a reality....

Trento52
03-22-2004, 09:49 PM
I actually thought it needed alot of improvement but come on how many games own shemnue in either story and length and hours. Then again i am porbably about 2/3 done and i wondered around for maybe 6 hours during the game. Actaully it is good to see development for games exclusively for xbox and i know fans will buy them so maybe with better reviews adn improvements and maybe advertising the game may sell better?

Shadow20002
03-23-2004, 12:31 AM
Yeah, just bring it.... :p

l Maximus l
03-23-2004, 01:20 AM
I work part-time at an electronics retailer...and Shenmue 2's retail price is $9.99.

Usually that spells "O-U-C-H" when it gets that low.

I haven't played it and never really had the interest, but, I thought I would share that. Whenever I see a really inexpensive game...I mean REALLY inexpensive...the first word that comes to my mind is "cheap"...and, that's definately not a good thing.

I think Shenmue 3 will be for the hardcore Shenmue fan only.

dronezero
03-23-2004, 11:52 AM
The first game was easily the best game ever made. There is no other game that even comes close. The second while not as great, was still good. And I disagree I thought the ending to the second one was phenomenal. I would definately buy a third game.

TuffEagle88
03-23-2004, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Maximus SYN
I work part-time at an electronics retailer...and Shenmue 2's retail price is $9.99.

Usually that spells "O-U-C-H" when it gets that low.

I haven't played it and never really had the interest, but, I thought I would share that. Whenever I see a really inexpensive game...I mean REALLY inexpensive...the first word that comes to my mind is "cheap"...and, that's definately not a good thing.

I think Shenmue 3 will be for the hardcore Shenmue fan only.

I fell into all the hype and paid 50 for mine, then two weeks later they brought it down to 40 or thirty.

Jamo
03-23-2004, 08:44 PM
I bought the first one for dreamcast and loved it. The story is what got me and the amount of detail put into it. It pulled me in instantly and I couldn't stop playing it. WHen Shenmue 2 came out I was really excited and bought it a week later. I still loved it. I love the way the characters are portrayed I love teh story and I love the Gameplay. In my opinion it's a great series. And I look forward to the 3rd installment on Xbox. :cool: (My fav. franchise is the DOA series overall)

Crazy Joe
03-24-2004, 03:15 PM
isn't it meant to be like a 7 or 9 game series or something? i thought i heard that somewhere, that the full story will span over a BUNCH of games.

BunnyRabbit
03-24-2004, 03:29 PM
I will not hesitate to get the third shenmue.. Although the first was the best by far yet.

Satch
03-24-2004, 09:08 PM
Well I LOVED the first one, and also love the second one, but perhaps not as much as the first. I really really hope the third will come out. I would probably get it on launch. Since Halo and Morrowind aren't really a series yet, I would have to make Shenmue my favorite series for sure. I say bring on Shenmue 3. :)

Viper87227
03-24-2004, 09:35 PM
Woohoo...another Shenmue post where I can defend the game...

There is a reason for the ending the way they were. Shenmue was written that way on purpose. Most people don't know this was once going to be a series on the saturn but they didn't have the time to implament what they wanted to. There was a 46 chapter story written for this game that was to span across 26 disks starting on the saturn and continueing on other sega consoles on the future. They had decided that in order to keep gamers interested in continuing to buy episodes of the game over 10-20 years, however it took to release them all, they would never end any games but the last one. They simply took the 46 chapter story and cut it into 26 parts without adding endings to each part, just leaving it completly in tact. Even though I doubt sega plans to carry out the Shenmue legacy anymore, this is why you see Shenmue and Shenmue II without having any ending. Anyone who has played the 1st and the 2nd imeadiatly know that the 1st game end with you getting on the ship to hong kong and the 2nd game starts with you getting off it, right from one game to the next, just like they were supposed to. For anyone who has beaten SHenmue II, you should be able to assume that if there is a Shenmue III, it will simply pick up from that spot as if its just one huge game.

This unique split story is what makes Shenmue a hit or miss series. You have to really get into it (like me, who has every version of the game releaseed, including Japanese and European imports) to enjoy the game the way its ment to be enjoyed. Its more of an interactive book than it is a game. It's the only game of its type, and damn it is amazing.

I myself would love to see the entire story released, but I doubt it will happen due to the hit or miss nature of the game mentioned above. Not enought people buy it, which is why they canned the DC USA release of Shenmue II in the 1st place. All I can do is keep my fingers crossed, and while Shenmue III (oiginally planned to be chapters 6-10 of the story) is just about guarenteed, a Shenmue IV, V, VI, ect. would be fantastic.

Heres to sega for having the balls to release a game they know will sell like crap, thats they way to treat your fans :cheers:

Satch
03-25-2004, 05:53 PM
well said. However, I have to disagree with the part about calling the Shenmue series an "interactive book". It seems a lot deeper than that to me. The fighting can get deep as you want. There's a lot of playing involved. In short, Shenmue can be what you want it to be.

Tony_Macaroni
03-25-2004, 07:51 PM
i wus very disappointed with the second shenmue, sum1 said b 4 (i dont remember) but i felt like i wus watching a movie ....im not holding my breath on ne more shenmues

Heavens Gate
03-27-2004, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by TheCovenant

im with you 100%. i played the first one on dreamcast ( did it ever come out with anything else?), and rented the second one for xbox. Neither is really impressive, but since the endings are so bad, and leave you in the middle of something, you have to know what everything was seriously about. It colndt have ended, you think, after all that work, i deserve a much better story than this...

eh, thats why i keep playing it. I just want to know what happens....

But im not going to lose any sleep if they say that shenmua 3 will not be a reality....

Boy, this has to get the *Dumbest post of the year award*. The Dreamcast had so many quality games. The Dreamcast has more quality games than all the current systems combined. That's the truth. Oh, and by the way, Shenmue is STILL the best series ever made and IMO the best games ever made.

Hard Boiled Cop
03-27-2004, 11:26 AM
i wus very disappointed with the second shenmue, sum1 said b 4 (i dont remember) but i felt like i wus watching a movie ....im not holding my breath on ne more shenmues

Yeah it does seem like watching a movie. But if you think Shenmue 2 was like watching a movie, play Metal Gear Solid 2... no wait.. WATCH MGS2

JediMasterChief
03-27-2004, 11:58 AM
Boy, this has to get the *Dumbest post of the year award*. The Dreamcast had so many quality games. The Dreamcast has more quality games than all the current systems combined. That's the truth. Oh, and by the way, Shenmue is STILL the best series ever made and IMO the best games ever made.

I agree with you completely. The Shenmue series has really touched me and it is certainly one of the best game series and games to ever hit the market. Unfortunately, the Shenmue games are in the minority in terms of popularity, but that may still change. I hope that Shenmue III will come out and if it does...it will be a superior game.

MaxPain
03-27-2004, 08:11 PM
I also bought shenmue II when it first released. I didn't know what to expect because I never played the first. But this game was soooo boring.. walk from person to person asking for directions... then when you get to that place.. your just looking for another place.. :confused: