PDA

View Full Version : No Extended Warranty For Canada Yet

CO1
01-11-2002, 01:25 AM
A little while back I started a post about my friends XBox because it was freezing when playing DVDs and some games. He used a CD lens cleaned and it seemed to solve his problem. That was maybe a month or so ago. Then all of a sudden yesterday his XBox will not read any media. None of his games, DVDs, or music CDs will read and yes he has tried cleaning them. He is able to get Amped to work for short periods of time if he turns the XBox upside down. Kind of sounds like the first batch of PS1s that had to be tipped on their side to read the disc. Anyway we both purchased the XBox from Future Shop when it was released but mine was a Christmas gift so I had to wait until a couple of weeks ago to use it. As a result I am worried that the same thing will happen to me after it gets more use. If I have a problem with mine I’m afraid that it will be after the 90-day warranty so I tried to purchase the extended warranty. Apparently it is not available to Canada yet and I was told to check back in a month or so. Now anytime much past a month from now will be past my 90 day warranty so I’m wondering if I would still be able to buy the extended warranty? Even if I can what about if I have a problem after the 90-day warranty runs out but before the extended warranty is available. Imagine if Canadians are unable to purchase the extended warranty after their 90-day warranty has run out. That would mean that all Canadians that supported the XBox for its launch would get screwed. I guess I will have to wait and see.

GokuX
01-11-2002, 01:46 AM
The Playstations had that problem because of cheap parts being used to make it. The CD reader rails would wear down in some instances or the CD reader wasn't properly seated the correct distance from the disk. I never had a prob with my PS though and I got one of the first batch of em. I could see X having problems if the store U get it from mishandles them or the packing service mishandles them and throws em around.

Chr0nik
01-11-2002, 06:21 AM
I bought my XBOX at futureshop in Montreal and was able to get microsofts extended warranty.

Ground_Pounder
01-11-2002, 04:13 PM
I got my box at Future Shop also, and went with their warranty... if EVER anything were to happen, that 2 year warranty would pay itself off right then and there. hehehehe.

The BEST warranty i've ever seen is for my TV, you get 1 year from RCA, and you can BUY 2 more years, BUT if you don't need service for those 2 extra years, you get a store credit!

Vteck3000
01-12-2002, 04:54 PM
I live also in Canada. I bought my XBOX at Electronic Boutique. I bouth the extended wananty for 2 years. So i guess they do sell the extended waranty in Canada. I think you got yourself screwed my friend. Also if your friends XBOX doesn't work he should go back to where he bought it with the controller and everthing and be ablr to get a new one at NO extra charge. I know that one of my cousin bough it at Future Shop and he had a problem with it. He returned it and gaved him a new one NO questions asked. Go and try it out............ they should back upi their product 100% :cool: ................ i know that in Ontario they do :D

Ground_Pounder
01-12-2002, 10:09 PM
ONTARIO RULES !!! lol

hey Vtek where u at ?

I'm in Sudbury man....

CO1
01-13-2002, 07:56 PM
You guys say you bought the extended warranty but when I called Microsoft to register my XBox they told me that the extended warranty for Canada had not been set up yet and it would be another month or so before it was. If you don't believe me here is the # so you can call yourself and find out what you purchased. 1-800-4MY-XBOX. Let me know what they say when you tell them that you live in Canada and you bought an extended warranty. Thanks.

Vteck3000
01-13-2002, 08:09 PM
Well they told me that the extended waranty that i bought was with EB and not Microsoft. They told me it was the same thing but the only difference was that i would deal with them if something ever happened to my unit. So for example instead of me sending the unit back to Microsoft because there's a problem with it, i only have to go to the EB i bought it from and they gave me a new unit that same day and THEY return the unit back to Microsoft. Since EB is a U.S. company they don't have problems. I called EB to confirm that and they told me that EB did a contact with Microsoft for extended warranties.

For the case of Future Shop i went and asked them what was the warranty for the XBOX and they told me that i could buy and extra one for 2 year. I told them that it couldn't be true because Canada apparently doesn't have one yet and they told me thats true but don't forget that WE ( meaning Future Shop ) are a division of BEST BUY........... which is a U.S. company. Soooooooo in other words the same rules apply to Future Shop as they apply at EB.

So the conclusion is :

YES Canada has the extended warranty ....... you just have to buy your unit at the right place :cool:

CO1
01-13-2002, 09:21 PM
Thanks. I'll check it out with Future Shop.