PDA

View Full Version : Where have the westerns gone?

Slowride
03-25-2004, 06:13 PM
I know dead man's hand just came out but from all that I hear it isn't worth getting, despite debueing at 29.99. But what happened to the western genre. I can't remember a descent one since supernintendo.

l Maximus l
03-25-2004, 06:21 PM
Same thing with movies, too....I mean, yes, there was Open Range...but, that was the first western flick that came out since......since............damn.......Tombstone? (just a guess)

CarGuy
03-25-2004, 06:41 PM
Rent "The Way Of The Gun". Great modern western. But yea around the time of Tombstone there was a crap load of westerns.

Sellout Theory
03-25-2004, 07:33 PM
there was a pc game called Outlaws released years ago, by lucas arts

BORNGD
03-26-2004, 10:58 AM
were western games ever that big? i dont think they ever really left, they just never really arrived. I mean, companies have released a few here and there, but it was never a strong genre right? or am i wrong?

thrAsher
03-26-2004, 11:03 AM
Champ: Darkwatch and Red Dead Revolver will be coming out this year. Do a search on either title. The first is a zombie/western FPS, and the second is a 3rd person shooter being developed by Rockstar.

The genre is NOT dead...or in the case of Darkwatch, it is undead.

Hard Boiled Cop
03-26-2004, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by thrAsher-XBA
Champ: Darkwatch and Red Dead Revolver will be coming out this year. Do a search on either title. The first is a zombie/western FPS, and the second is a 3rd person shooter being developed by Rockstar.

The genre is NOT dead...or in the case of Darkwatch, it is undead.

Yeah I heard about Darkwatch as well. That kind of looks good. Not exactly superb. Anyway Dead Man's Hand doesn't look great but can someone fill me in on the plot and what you do there.

Stagliano
03-26-2004, 11:27 AM
A zombie western you say? That sounds absolutely fantastic. Incidentally, I am being genuine here. It sounds phenomenal. I'd never heard of it before. Thanks for letting me know about it.

Oh, and there was Desperados (I think that is the right name) on the PC too. It was like a western version of Commandos. Plus, I know it's only a level but there is a that western type level in Timesplitters 2 also.

I believe Dead Man's Hand works around the story of your player character having been in some villainous gang (or should that be posse, given the western feel?). Anyway, you seem to have either turned your back on or been betrayed by these nine (I think) other gang members and are now out to try to kill them. It seems to be all about exacting revenge upon them in a first-person styled game.

Rumour had it that Dead Man's Hand would have co-operative and online play/options of some sort, but I don't know enough about it to know if that's came to fruition upon its release (especially as it hasn't been released here as yet). It seems to have (although, again, I don't know to what extent) at least a small ability to interact with the environment eg. shooting a balcony so it will dislodge from the side of a building and plummet to the ground. This might be extremely minor though.

So, in retrospect, I don't know anything and have been completely useless. You'll be dead pleased I wrote this post.

PS I feel cheated. I looked at Sammy Studios' website and Darkwatch is a vampire western and not zombies. Not my undead of choice after all then, dagnabbit!

Slowride
03-26-2004, 12:04 PM
yeah i gave red dead revolver a look b4 I made thread post. I'll give it a rent.....

thrAsher
03-26-2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Stagliano
PS I feel cheated. I looked at Sammy Studios' website and Darkwatch is a vampire western and not zombies. Not my undead of choice after all then, dagnabbit!
Uh, my bad. Zombies, vampires, what's the diff? ;) I just remember seeing some screens w/ these undead looking cowboys, so I imagine we'll be seeing at least some sort of zombie-esque baddies to blast.

Hard Boiled Cop
03-26-2004, 12:16 PM
It sounds good. I too will give it a go.

Max33
03-26-2004, 02:53 PM
Yeah.. the cinimatic sequence I saw of Dark watch showed the main dude take out a gizang of vamps with a reolver without reloding.Thats just goofy.

LynxFX
03-26-2004, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by BORNGD
were western games ever that big? i dont think they ever really left, they just never really arrived. I mean, companies have released a few here and there, but it was never a strong genre right? or am i wrong?
Oh come on, Redneck Rampage anyone? :D

Slowride
03-26-2004, 09:52 PM
Can anyone remember the western on supernintendo i'm thinking of? I remember riding horses and a train on one stage I believe.

Stagliano
03-27-2004, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by thrAsher-XBA
Zombies, vampires, what's the diff? To write something like that to an obsessive nerd is a terrible thing to do (incidentally, I am joking of course, not about being an obsessive nerd but about it being a terrible thing to do).

I had a wee look at their website (as I wrote in my other post) and Darkwatch does look like it could be a good game. Is it an original story for the game or is it from a comic/book? It doesn't really matter, I'm just being nosey.

Another western themed game I just remembered about was The Wild Bunch by Firebird on the Spectrum. Now there's a classic if ever there was one. All the excitement of the shootout scenes and sucking out rattlesnake poison. I don't even remember it being terribly good at the time (around 1984). If I'm not mistaken, there was an even earlier western type game on the Spectrum too. It was some stupid arcade type game with yellow sprites (including cacti) against a blue background but I can't remember the name (and it might have been on the Commdore 64 or BBC B rather than the Spectrum at all) but it was terrible.

Tim
04-25-2004, 08:29 PM
Dead Man's Hand is fun to play. It's very arcadey, which my humble opinion, makes it exstreemly fun! Online sucks though.

As for western shows, HBO has that new show Deadwood. I'm gonna Tivo it tonight and give it a try. My bro says it's pretty good. We'll see....

Cryogenic Pyro
04-25-2004, 11:38 PM
Oh come on, Redneck Rampage anyone? :D
Haha, I remember playing that when I was like 8 or so, maybe 10. BOOB GUN!

ChampTTU, I don't know the game you're thinking of, but I do remember playing it. You've got me wondering now, and if I don't find out what the game is soon, It'll kill me.

Slowride
04-25-2004, 11:58 PM
It's driving me nuts again now to. Damn you Tim for bringing this thread back!

Slowride
05-14-2004, 01:22 PM
For those who wondered what that western was that was talked about in this thread I just found it. I just happened to stumble across it in a review for Red Dead Revolver and recognized the name instantly. It was called Sunset Riders. A great game.