PDA

View Full Version : Far Cry is now on the PC and I can say its better then Halo

OC Noob
03-28-2004, 10:36 AM
It is coming to Xbox and I just want to let everyone know, this game is REALLY good.

I'm not putting Halo down, just trying to get the point across of how good Far Cry is. Well, that and to get everyones attention:D Sure Halo 2 might be out before Far Cry Xbox (then again probably not) and it could easily be better then Far Cry, but that doesn't mean you can't buy and play BOTH.

This is a kick@ss game and we are pretty lucky to be getting it on Xbox, so keep your eyes peeled for this title. IMO, its the best FPS to come around in years :cheers:

ps the gfx are absolutly stunning.

thrAsher
03-28-2004, 10:44 AM
Sweet. I 've been really curious about Far Cry. Any chance you can give us some reasons why it rocks so hard? AI, weapons, story, etc.? I'm honestly interested to hear what a member's thoughts are. I'll wait for it to come to the Xbox, but would like to know how the PC version is...

OC Noob
03-28-2004, 11:53 AM
Sweet. I 've been really curious about Far Cry. Any chance you can give us some reasons why it rocks so hard? AI, weapons, story, etc.? I'm honestly interested to hear what a member's thoughts are. I'll wait for it to come to the Xbox, but would like to know how the PC version is...

Yeah, I'd imaging the Xbox and PC versions will be pretty much the same.

Quick mini-review (need to get back to the game;)):

Graphics

The graphics are second to none. They used the same techniques that HL2, DIII and Halo 2 will use and it shows. The island looks like its straight out of a post card. The water looks so real its crazy. There are even the little details like schools of fish and foliage that gets left out in most games that make the water look sterile and lifeless. The jungle is equally as detailed.

The thing I'm most excited about is the clip plane. Even with high quality gfx you can see VERY far in the distance. It makes long range sniping a pleasure and makes the game feel that much more realistic.

AI

The AI is really cool. The react based on realistic senses. The react to sound and sight. So if you hide behind a little bush, are quite and out of sight they won't detect you. Shoot someone or get spotted and you'll be swarmed. No more shooting someone and having other gaurds nearby not detect you because they don't react to sound.

The AI also is pretty intellegent. They all run for cover when a shot is fired, they will split up and flank you, they keep in contact and work as a team. All in all, the AI is very cool.

Gameplay

Its more of a realistic game were you can only take so many shots. A head shot kills enemies. Its not as arcadish as Halo and not as realistic as Ghost recon, but its definitly more realistic then arcadish. Somewhat like Call of Duty if you've played that.

Creeping around the island is tons of fun. You can stealth it and sneak by people or you can sneak around and snipe or just about any style you like. The maps are very open and give you a lot of options as to the way you want to play.

There are the usual FPS weapons and they are all done very well. Nothing like taking out one of those troop transpot hellicoptors with the rocket launcher thing. The mini gun is also fun for helicopters. There are dun bugies and patrol boats you can steal. There is a hangglider which is really cool.

IMO, gameplay is great.

Story:

I was surprized that the story is actually rather good. I didn't expect much of a story, but its cool. I don't want to ruin it for anyone, so no details. Just know that you aren't just killing mercs on an island for pretty much no reason, like I thought it would be.

Hope this helps and I hope its going to be out on the box soon. Has anyone heard about a release date yet or if they have started the port or not yet?

thrAsher
03-28-2004, 12:19 PM
Awesome. Nice review. The AI and graphics were pretty highly touted from previews I'd read. Good to hear it wasn't a bunch of hooplah. And any comparison to Call of Duty (my favorite FPS at the moment) is a good one, IMO.

No idea on when the Xbox will get it, but I'm psyched nonetheless. Thanks for the info, OC.

DemonLoki
03-28-2004, 12:30 PM
I was going to wait the Xbox version, but I might have to pick it up now.

ShannonX
03-28-2004, 12:56 PM
it runs fine on some older cards, like mine, but i want a new card like the 9800 xt or the 5900 fx... Then i could actually use anti aliasing and stuff without dropping to like 20 frames/s. Most of the time i run about 50 - 60 fps, give or take, although there are a few places that drop it down to unplayable, but for the most part, its an awesome game.

SoundX
03-28-2004, 01:03 PM
I was looking forward to this for ages, but I figured it wouldn't run on my PC. Thank god it's coming to Xbox. :hail:

Better than Halo eh? I expected that. So when is it due out in UK?

Hard Boiled Cop
03-28-2004, 01:28 PM
I was looking forward to this for ages, but I figured it wouldn't run on my PC. Thank god it's coming to Xbox. :hail:

Better than Halo eh? I expected that. So when is it due out in UK?

For the PC or the xbox? I saw in the shops thats its coming out next week but it could be a lie.

Anyway nice review OC Noob. Though my computer is crap so it won't work but I like to hear something that's Halo standards. I'm definitely getting this for the xbox.

OC Noob
03-28-2004, 02:14 PM
I did forget to mention the lack of a quick save function kinda stinks, but thats suposed to be patched by mid-April and I'd expect to see saves in the Xbox version.

Letting em tweak it on the PC for a bit, then get a perfect Xbox version out is a good plan.

mattgame
03-28-2004, 02:43 PM
I got the demo but I can't play it. I watch the trailer for it at work and it looks better than anything I've ever seen. Ubisoft is doing their damn thing.

Trento52
03-29-2004, 12:20 AM
Yeah i really want to try it but i want the xbox version. The game has gotten good reveiws and looks amazing.

BinaryXtreme
03-29-2004, 05:47 PM
Yeah, the Far Cry demo I've played is awesome. UT2004 smokes Halo too but for now, Halo is the best overall XBOX game but with all the great titles coming out, that maybe short lived.

OC Noob
03-30-2004, 01:56 PM
Yeah, the Far Cry demo I've played is awesome. UT2004 smokes Halo too but for now, Halo is the best overall XBOX game but with all the great titles coming out, that maybe short lived.

With MS publishing it, I'd expect to see all the cool new UT2k4 vehicles and stuff in the next UC. Thats probably not far off either.

This should be a very big year with UC2, Halo 2, DIII, HL2, Far Cry, Fable, Jade Empire, KotOR 2 (hopefully), the new Thief and the others that I can't remeber right now.

I can't believe EGM said this year would just be so-so for Xbox and be so great for PS2. Freakin Ps2 fanboys are a dime a dozen in gaming magazines. I only plan on getting Metal Gear and GT4. The rest is junk or Asian style RPGs.

Oops, forgot the GTA expansion pack thats coming, but I won't get that either if its just GTAIII done over with a different story like VC. One expansion is enough for me.

Man, I'm just rambling on here :p

mattgame
03-30-2004, 02:39 PM
Which issue of EGM said this? I won't to go to work see if we still got em and burn them. How in the hell could they say a banner year for PS2 and so- so for xbox? Stupid f-kers! What has PS2 done so far this year that was noteworthy? Exactly, can't think of it. We already got Ninja Gaiden and June is gonna be another stellar month. F EGM. Oh and FarCry is the best looking game I've ever seen.

l Maximus l
03-30-2004, 03:02 PM
Yeah...I saw this game at the store and it looks pretty sweet. Better than Halo? Man, I'd have to see this before accepting any sort of conclusion like that.

And, what's wrong with an arcadish FPS like Halo? Best damn FPS I've ever played. Yes, Halo is arcadish, but, Halo is so good that it can be played like a simulation game...very tactical. Just play against myself and a very close buddy of mine on a game of Blood Gulch CTF...and I'll show you an ass whoopin' :D

OC Noob
03-30-2004, 09:51 PM
Yeah...I saw this game at the store and it looks pretty sweet. Better than Halo? Man, I'd have to see this before accepting any sort of conclusion like that.

And, what's wrong with an arcadish FPS like Halo? Best damn FPS I've ever played. Yes, Halo is arcadish, but, Halo is so good that it can be played like a simulation game...very tactical. Just play against myself and a very close buddy of mine on a game of Blood Gulch CTF...and I'll show you an ass whoopin' :D

There is nothing wrong with arcadish shooters, I was just trying to explain how it plays compared to games people here have probably played.

As for Halo, that was mostly to show how good this game is, but I would definitly say the single player is better then Halo single player. I can't say anything about mupltiplayer though. I haven't tried it yet. Far Cry is the best game I've played in a long time (SP) so I compared it to the top dog here.

Nothing against Halo, in fact its really a compliment considering its 2 years old. Far Cry is just that good.

ps the EGM was the April issue and the System Forcast 2k4 article. I quite getting GMR because they kissed too much Rockstar and PS2 ass. EGM doesn't seem too bad, but who ever wrote that article just totally blew off the Xbox 2k4 line up. Something like the only great titles for the Xbox in 2k4 are the ones that were suposed to be the big titles of 2k3. That is somewhat true, but then he menjtioned Halo 2 and I think Fable and pretty much blew everything else off. This after saying how great the PS2 line up for 2k4 is. I said "WHAT!?!?! There are a few really great titles, but come on the Xbox has like 10 really great titles coming out this year:cuss:

In no particular order:

1) Fable
2) Halo 2
3) DIII
4) HL 2
5) Far Cry
6) Unreal Championship
7) Jade Empire
8) KotOR II
9) Ninja Gaiden
10) Thief

Granted some may be pushed back to 2k5, but thats just off the top of my head and even if 3 or 4 are pushed back thats a damn good year.

l Maximus l
03-30-2004, 10:00 PM
OC Noob...don't get me wrong, I wasn't getting on you at all...just so you know.

In regards to Halo...the Campaign is definately cool, but, I think Halo shines with it's multi-player...I believe it's far more superior than the Campaign. I'm very much looking forward to checking out Far Cry...fo sheezy! But, I'll likely wait until the XBox version comes out...unless I bump into someone that owns it for PC and I find myself over at their house more than my own :D

Anthony4sho
03-30-2004, 11:17 PM
Very interested in this game. Who made this game?

Viper87227
03-31-2004, 12:00 AM
I agree with you completly, Far Cry is better than Halo, but IMO, alot of shooters are. Halo, while fun, is much to repetitive, but it made up for it in multiplayer. Anyways, I played the demo at a friends house and I was struck with awe. While Call of Duty is still my favorite shooter, this is a close 2nd, I will definatly be getting it when I finish my computer

OC Noob
03-31-2004, 12:11 AM
OC Noob...don't get me wrong, I wasn't getting on you at all...just so you know.

In regards to Halo...the Campaign is definately cool, but, I think Halo shines with it's multi-player...I believe it's far more superior than the Campaign. I'm very much looking forward to checking out Far Cry...fo sheezy! But, I'll likely wait until the XBox version comes out...unless I bump into someone that owns it for PC and I find myself over at their house more than my own :D

np, thats what i thought, but I wanted to make sure you didn't think I was out to slam Halo.

I agree. Far Cry multiplayer is a bit of an unknown still. I've heard a few people say its okay, but will shine when modders start getting mods made, but that won't effect the Xbox version. For single player action it should hold us over for a bit though. Until Halo 2, Half life 2, DIII, Fable or atleast one of these big name titles is out. Its going to be a kick@ss year:D

Very interested in this game. Who made this game?

Ubisoft Published and i think the devs name is Crytek... or thats the gfx engine name. Possibly both.

I agree with you completly, Far Cry is better than Halo, but IMO, alot of shooters are. Halo, while fun, is much to repetitive, but it made up for it in multiplayer. Anyways, I played the demo at a friends house and I was struck with awe. While Call of Duty is still my favorite shooter, this is a close 2nd, I will definatly be getting it when I finish my computer

Lets see some specs. What are you running and are you overclocking it?

bostwick202
03-31-2004, 03:42 PM
ps the EGM was the April issue and the System Forcast 2k4 article. I quite getting GMR because they kissed too much Rockstar and PS2 ass. EGM doesn't seem too bad, but who ever wrote that article just totally blew off the Xbox 2k4 line up. Something like the only great titles for the Xbox in 2k4 are the ones that were suposed to be the big titles of 2k3.

Yeah, i get egm and i notice this stuff all the time. It's like the review crew and the guys who do the other stuff are totally seperate. The people who do the reviews are very straight up, although sometime a little bit harsh.

Viper87227
03-31-2004, 04:32 PM
Lets see some specs. What are you running and are you overclocking it?

are you talking the computer I played it on or the computer I am building?

Played On:

P4 3.02GHz
1GB DDR400 RAM
128MB GeforceFX

I'm building:

AthlonXP 2000+
256MB DDR400 RAM
64MB Geforce 2 MX400

I know the comptuer I am building won't run far cry that good as of now, but I will be adding a 128MB Geforce4 and atleast another 512MB DDR400 RAM in due time, so I will be able to run it eventually...