PDA

View Full Version : RPG developers need to grow up!

StudioAlex
01-11-2002, 03:32 PM
Anyone else tired of the simple, one woman relationship, fight the big bad evil lifestyles of main characters in RPGs? Why can't a character have a series a relationships? Why can't his heroic finale be settling a vendetta with an old foe, or just about anything that doesn't involve both the entire world and its doom?
I'm definately not saying these stories don't have their merit (LotR) but c'mon, I'd like a bit of change for once. And why must these guys have one adventure. It would be interesting to see a character grow and age over the course of say, three games. What do you guys think?

X-Factor
01-13-2002, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by StudioAlex
Anyone else tired of the simple, one woman relationship, fight the big bad evil lifestyles of main characters in RPGs? Why can't a character have a series a relationships? Why can't his heroic finale be settling a vendetta with an old foe, or just about anything that doesn't involve both the entire world and its doom?
I'm definately not saying these stories don't have their merit (LotR) but c'mon, I'd like a bit of change for once. And why must these guys have one adventure. It would be interesting to see a character grow and age over the course of say, three games. What do you guys think?
Well StudioAlex, your wish is about to come true. Project- Ego is almost all of those things. There is time flow on Project- Ego. Characters change, age, and grow over time. You could cut a guys face in some town, come back in 20 years, and that same guy would have a scar right where you cut him. Not only do characters age, and change in Project- Ego, the whole world does.

monkeyman
01-13-2002, 10:07 AM
crazy i think im gonna have to get that game

StudioAlex
01-13-2002, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by X-Factor

Well StudioAlex, your wish is about to come true. Project- Ego is almost all of those things. There is time flow on Project- Ego. Characters change, age, and grow over time. You could cut a guys face in some town, come back in 20 years, and that same guy would have a scar right where you cut him. Not only do characters age, and change in Project- Ego, the whole world does.

Thanks for the response. Although I am excited excited about Ego, as everyone should be, I was thinking more about japanese style (heavily story scripted) RPGs. I should have made that a little clearer. But maybe japanese developers will pick up some ideas from Ego and Final Fantasy will finally grow up.

X-Factor
01-13-2002, 04:48 PM
I wonder when there will be a "final" final fantasy. I can't believe Square has made 10 final fantasy's. I read a rumor in EGM that the next installment of the "Chrono Cross" series would appear on Xbox. Ofcourse anything that comes from the Q man is a rumor. The mole of the Official Xbox magazine also said that Square was going to develop content for Xbox. But he also said it was a big rumor. Well I've heard rumors of MGS2, GTA3, Devil May Cry, and Tenchu 3 coming to Xbox. Ofcourse none of them have been confirmed yet. I wish Square would just realize there are more capabilities with Xbox. the Harddrive alone opens up new levels of developing.

monkeyman
01-13-2002, 06:50 PM
yeah how many final fantasys will there be its crazy im telling you crazy ahhhhhhh no nm

StudioAlex
01-14-2002, 12:04 PM
Maybe they should stop numbering them and give them names, like instead of the eventual Final Fantasy 12, they can call it, Final Fantasy: Some Orphans Kill the Big Evil Guy While Embroiled in an Obscure Love Triangle.

monkeyman
01-14-2002, 04:45 PM
poor poor orphans.......

X-Factor
01-14-2002, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by StudioAlex
Maybe they should stop numbering them and give them names, like instead of the eventual Final Fantasy 12, they can call it, Final Fantasy: Some Orphans Kill the Big Evil Guy While Embroiled in an Obscure Love Triangle.
I'm suprised Squaresoft didn't name their movie, "Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within", Final Fantasy XVXI!? *laughs*