PDA

View Full Version : Microsof may be losing Oddworlds exclusive deal

blackiee2002
03-29-2004, 06:04 AM
1up is reporting that Oddworld Inhabitants is in trouble or is looking for a new publisher for the next Oddworld Game

Oddworld Inhabitants Seek New Publisher
By David Smith
3/26/2004

Oddworld Inhabitants is seeking a new publisher for the next game in its planned Quintology, was the news from the maverick development house at the Game Developers Conference this week. Steef's Oddysee, as the Western-vibed Xbox shooter was called around its tentative debut last year, has nothing to do with Microsoft anymore, although it may make it to market through some other company.
Oddworld Inhabitants representatives didn't specify any companies that may be interested in the game, although they said they were "in talks with several."

The game was displayed only in the form of a pre-rendered trailer movie, produced by three artists in the space of about six months, wherein Steef (looking much as he did in the Discovery Channel documentary that debuted the game, and still wielding a crossbow on one arm) pursued another gunman, "Blisterz Booty," across the Oddworld sands.

It seems as if the game's name may change, though. Oddworld's website simply refers to the new project as "Stranger" (as in "mysterious stranger," or "you ain't from around these parts, are you, stranger?"), and promotional materials given out at GDC read "Oddworld just got stranger." It may simply be a codename or working title, but at any rate, the term "Stranger" seems to be popping up with remarkable frequency in relation to the project.

Steef's Oddysee, or whatever it winds up being called, has of course spent a long time in its rocky development process. One of Oddworld's New Year's resolutions for 2004 was to finish the game, however, and the developer reportedly expects to do so around the turn of the year (if possibly a little after). When more news of its fortunes arises, we'll pass it on.

This is a big booooo come on microsoft, i blame Xfans for this. the first on xbox did not sell that well so Lanning taught since the platform he was developing is famous for FPS games he took focused his next iteration of the game to be an FPS which many including Fries and MS did not like.

I understand DOOM3, HALO2, Possibly Half life2, Far Cry, and many more shooters to come. the last thing you would want as a publisher is having a platform that is also a shooter especially for the year 2004

Damm it! buy the games

thrAsher
03-29-2004, 10:52 AM
This is a big booooo come on microsoft, i blame Xfans for this. the first on xbox did not sell that well so Lanning taught since the platform he was developing is famous for FPS games he took focused his next iteration of the game to be an FPS which many including Fries and MS did not like.

I understand DOOM3, HALO2, Possibly Half life2, Far Cry, and many more shooters to come. the last thing you would want as a publisher is having a platform that is also a shooter especially for the year 2004

Damm it! buy the games
Well said, man. The Xbox is starting to look weak IMO. Outside of a handful of upcoming titles, I'm more than done w/ shooters. They just get old to me real fast. I like to play a variety of types of game, not just one. For instance, I'm looking forward to Fable, B.C., Sudeki, and The Movies waaaaaaaaaaay more than Halo 2 or it's ilk.

If MS stays on this track, they might as well rename the black and green machine the Shooter Box. And if it comes to that, I'll be sure to take their cue and put a couple rounds into mine.

:cuss:

StudioAlex
03-29-2004, 11:51 AM
Munch was a great game, but it had a few flaws that Lanning was well aware of. I hope he takes all of the time he needs in order to finish this game. Too bad Microsoft isn't on board.

thrAsher
03-29-2004, 11:54 AM
Worthplaying.com has a blurb about this speculating that the next Oddworld game could still remain an Xbox exclusive:

Posted by Rainier on Monday, March 29 @ 03:38:04 PST

At last week's GDC, Developer Oddworld Inhabitants revealed that it's latest OddWorld product, Steef's Oddysee, will no longer be published by Microsoft. Due to this development the name has been changed to "Stranger", which is also the name of the main character. Oddworld Inhabitants says that eventhough Microsoft no longer publishes the product, it will most likely remain an Xbox exclusive, and although so far no other publishers is known, Stranger, is scheduled for end of the year.

Source (http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=16958&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0)

jelgiad
03-29-2004, 12:14 PM
i hope it remains on xbox, I thoroughly enjoyed Munch's Oddysey and have been looking forward to another Oddworld game for a while. Oh, and i also agree w/ you guys about too many shooters and not enough other games on the box

thegamepeddler
03-29-2004, 10:36 PM
Anyone who saw that Discovery Channel special a while back and saw the look on Ed Fries face when Lorne Lanning dropped the "Steef Bomb" shouldn't be real surprised by this development.

BinaryXtreme
03-30-2004, 12:39 AM
Congrats Microsnot. You're the best babe!

l Maximus l
03-30-2004, 01:04 AM
To be dead honest, I wouldn't shed a tear at all if the next Oddworld didn't show up on the XBox.

Call me a Halo fanboy if you like...but, if Halo 2 was the only game coming out for XBox this year, I'd still be content.

Well, that and Rallisport Challenge 2 :D

blackiee2002
03-30-2004, 09:45 AM
Congrats Microsnot. You're the best babe!

i hope you are being sarcastic

BinaryXtreme
03-30-2004, 01:22 PM
i hope you are being sarcastic

I was, could ya tell? :cheers: hehehehe

BlindSniper
03-30-2004, 07:56 PM
I agree with too many shooters. Don't get me wrong I love shooters but they should be spaced out. Xbox is more of the, "mans machine" as opposed for little kids. Gamecube is definitelyt ranged for little kids but xbox seems to have more gore, shooting, violent games. Well, that and most of the games older guys enjoy playing. So maybe if the shooters came out pretty far spaced from eachother that would be great. But the one thing I think no console should have is racing games....BWAHAHAHA RACING GAMES SUCK!...

This is all my opinion, but for now I shall...*run and hide*

VenoM
03-30-2004, 08:02 PM
heres some more bad news on another game i was looking forward to :cry:

Psychonauts publishing deal goes sour

Microsoft ends its agreement to distribute Double Fine's Xbox platformer.
Microsoft lightened its publishing load today when it released the following statement: “Microsoft Game Studios has made the decision to end its publishing agreement with [developer] Double Fine for the upcoming Xbox game Psychonauts."

Microsoft gave no rationale for its decision but did say it still "believes in the vision of the title and would like to see the game on Xbox." Microsoft also added that it was "supporting" Double Fine's search for a new publisher but did not go into details.

The news came as a shock to those following Psychonauts, which looked like it had the makings of a cult hit (and has no relation to the Mo' Wax remix album of the same name). Unveiled at E3 2002, the platformer follows a young psi-spy wannabe who earns merit badges for invading people's minds. The game's 3D visuals are as twisted as the subject, feeling like Jak & Daxter crossed with The Nightmare Before Christmas. The nonclairvoyant can read GameSpot's preview for more information on the game.

Psychonauts was designed by LucasArts alumnus and Double Fine chief Tim Schafer, creator of highly acclaimed adventure games such as Grim Fandango and Full Throttle. Unfortunately, attempts to contact Schafer had met with no results as of press time.

source: Gamespot (http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/03/30/news_6092548.html)

say goodbye to another exclusive title if a publisher like EA or Ubi gets it, it will for sure go multiplatform if not it'll probably just end up getting cancelled like Tork :cry:

StudioAlex
03-30-2004, 08:43 PM
What is going on with MS? Ed Fries left recently, but it hasn't taken too long for his replacement to start ****ing everything up.

blackiee2002
03-31-2004, 11:02 AM
What is going on with MS? Ed Fries left recently, but it hasn't taken too long for his replacement to start ****ing everything up.

That is indeed true, seems that since he has left, everything is now going southward. But i believe there might be a good reason to this, either they are indeed gonig to annouce some big news in the next 2 to 6 months, such as MS and Ninty merging, EA deal, or they could also be moving thier energy towards xenon.

Moving their energy towards xenon would not only strengthen its lauch titles but also help other developers. i guess we just gotta wait till E3 to find out.

It is something that would be memorable indeed. you can bet on it. :)

Robflare
03-31-2004, 04:28 PM
Anyone who saw that Discovery Channel special a while back and saw the look on Ed Fries face when Lorne Lanning dropped the "Steef Bomb" shouldn't be real surprised by this development.
I saw that and thought the same thing. That Lorne is a strange egocentric bird who is does not have alot of mass appeal.

ShannonX
04-01-2004, 08:01 PM
To be dead honest, I wouldn't shed a tear at all if the next Oddworld didn't show up on the XBox.

Call me a Halo fanboy if you like...but, if Halo 2 was the only game coming out for XBox this year, I'd still be content.

Well, that and Rallisport Challenge 2 :D

word. Those 2 games are 2 of my most looked forward to games this year. The first rallisport was a blast, cant wait for this next one, and i'm totally stoked about the second halo. :hump: