PDA

View Full Version : Xbox Price Cut is now ***Official***

Yankeez
03-29-2004, 11:32 AM
The price cuts will go into effect Tuesday.

Industry analysts and some Microsoft officials have been expecting Microsoft to cut the price for its Xbox for some time, but at $149.99, the new price is lower than some had expected.

At the moment, though, most believe it to be a smart move.

"I think it's enough for Microsoft because there's a pretty good opportunity for Microsoft to start to sell into households that already own PS2s," said John Taylor, an analyst with Arcadia Research, referring to Sony's PlayStation 2 game player.

Stewart Halpern of RBC Capital Markets agreed: "Microsoft gets no big advantage from cutting more."

Microsoft cut the suggested price for its Xbox game-playing console last May to $179.99 from $199.99 after Sony did the same for PlayStation 2, the industry's biggest-selling game machine.

Many retailers and game publishers had expected Microsoft to cut Xbox to $150 over the holidays but that never occurred. Nintendo was the only console manufacturer to reduce prices, lowering the GameCube to $99.

Source (http://money.cnn.com/2004/03/29/technology/personaltech/xbox/index.htm?cnn=yes)

thrAsher
03-29-2004, 11:43 AM
$150 is a steal. I'll wait to see if any good bundles come around at that price, though, before I pick up another. My box is starting to show it's age already, seeing as I've played the heck out of it since I bought it.

jelgiad
03-29-2004, 12:17 PM
My box is starting to show it's age already, seeing as I've played the heck out of it since I bought it.

same here, im thinking about trading mine into babbages and buying me another one. the price drop definately helps

Hard Boiled Cop
03-29-2004, 12:27 PM
It also encourages other people to buy it as well. People who doesn't have a console.

ThaWatcher
03-29-2004, 02:41 PM
It's not really going to make a difference.....I don't believe that 30 bucks was stopping anyone from buying one, and Sony is going to drop their price too!!

BananaMan
03-29-2004, 02:49 PM
It's not really going to make a difference.....I don't believe that 30 bucks was stopping anyone from buying one, and Sony is going to drop their price too!!

not all of us are rolling in cash either

l Maximus l
03-29-2004, 04:02 PM
My original $300 XBox is starting to seem even more expensive :D

But, it's all good, I got to enjoy mine a hell of a lot longer for newbie XBox owners.

$30 cheaper? That's going to be huge...XBoxes are going to sell like crazy. I already own 2, so, I'll likely not buy another one...but, I know of a few people that own one and would love to have a second one.

Also, I know tons of people that were waiting for another price drop before they bought one...this should definately get some attention :)

BlindSniper
03-29-2004, 04:09 PM
I myself would like another one. But I am goonna wait for good bundles to come out around that. My launch xbox is still going fine but I get the occasional dirty disk. Oh and yes.......hahaha!.....:eek:

kenji
03-29-2004, 05:07 PM
I think that this should help sales. I went to my cousins house, and he still had a N64. I told him to upgrade, but he is still waiting for a price drop. I be sure to tell him. Thanks Yankeez!

Sigma
03-29-2004, 05:21 PM
I will buy a second Xbox just for modding purposes.

BinaryXtreme
03-29-2004, 05:37 PM
Great price but I'll wait until mine dies. I play mine everyday and it has a Thomson. Still going strong.

BoundBruiser
03-29-2004, 06:06 PM
I'd buy it if it came with Breakdown or NG, maybe even Halo for more LAN parties.

BananaMan
03-29-2004, 07:24 PM
I think that this should help sales. I went to my cousins house, and he still had a N64. I told him to upgrade, but he is still waiting for a price drop. I be sure to tell him. Thanks Yankeez!

i still play my N64(Goldeneye with friends, and the original tony hawk, and road rage!)

mattgame
03-30-2004, 03:43 PM
I can get mine for free. And you can too if you can get to the back door of my store. It also comes with a free game.

themoosearmy
03-30-2004, 03:46 PM
I'd say $30 cheaper is a helluva price drop. After you buy your xbox and another controller, its only back to the "original" retail value. Plus, I know a couple friends waiting for a price drop so they can grab an xbox before fall semester next year, now they will get it sooner.