PDA

View Full Version : Project EGO Transcript with Carter Brothers (NEW)

JADE8704
01-11-2002, 04:39 PM
hey everyone...im a member of EGOManiacs.com and today (my b-day) I found the Transcript for the Carter Brother's interview...here it is, enjoy!

PM: Let’s start off with Project Ego (pronounced ee-go). What the game is principally a role playing game, but it’s trying to do something role playing games have maybe never done before. Um, you know I’ve always had a passion for role playing games ever since I first started playing them back in the days of wizardry and I’ve always wanted to do work with role playing games, like when I came to work with Simon and Dene on Dungeon Keeper but on this game I really wanted to approach role playing games with a different angle.

PM: I should start off by saying that everything you see here is really, really early, it’s gonna get at least a hundred percent on what we see right now before it is released. The programming of the world is not quite what it should be, the detail is not quite what it should be, the lighting and such are not fully developed yet and there are many many key gameplay moments we can’t show, but to describe these things it will just be me talking all the time while Dene will be showing some of the stuff here.

INTERVIEWER: Excellent.

PM: So let’s start off with the game from the ground up. This is, ...you think of it as a classic role playing game...the uniqueness begins right at the beginning with it you play as one character, and that character as you start the game is a 15 year old kid, either a girl or a boy, and as the game progresses through that the character gets older and by the end of the game he’ll be about 70 or 80 years old and, you know, he changes over time as he gets older, and older in the world. And the idea is to create a role playing game, but create a role playing game based around a simulated world rather than a free hand or scripted world, and that will allow you to do anything you want. Also allow you to have a role playing game where the character changes to what you want him to be by reflecting what you have him do in the world, rather than you selecting a fighter or a thief or assassin or a magic user, you have to create (him) by using things in the world.

PM: So, um, I thought we would talk a little bit about the character evolution, what Simon and the team has done at Big Blue Box was they were inspired by things from Black & White the idea to be able to be a character that is good or evil or anything in between and actually the best home for that is a role playing game. You know, you could make the most backstabbing, evil assassin that is just unspeakably cruel or make (hard to understand but the jist of what he says next is or make a Lancelot style knight). ...rather than select a character you cannot mold into yourself.

PM: I’d like to just touch on a few things now with the character.

(Dene starts the game)

PM: You look at him now he’s about a 15 year old kid, the sun shining on his face if he’s outside a lot and not sitting under the shade of a tree you’ll notice that his face would start to get tan. You take his top off his body will get tan. Because he’s growing and aging, if he is out in the sun a lot the quality of his skin gets worse and worse. You just see now...

(Dene speeds up the simulation)

PM: ...you can just see him aging he’s now sort of in his 30’s, now going into his 40’s, and now going into his 50’s, if he’s spent a lot of time in the sun that makes him even more weathered, even more (undetectable). This makes every different character utterly different and unique.

INTERVIEWERS: Wow, wow, that’s amazing. (In awe of Ego’s demo).

(Undetectable muttering)

PM: Yeah, yeah, when you start the game you’ll notice he does not have any facial hair, when he gets towards his twenties you’ll notice he starts to get some stubble (facial hair), if you leave that to grow, you can grow that into a beard or you can go into a barber and have it shaved however you like, we have mustaches or beards, we even have dreadlocks and so on...

PM: So we have this character that reflects what you do with him but also you can personalize him to be yourself and that’s very, very important with a gameplay mechanics because what you character looks like is how the world reacts to your character. So not only can you style his beard but you can style his hair, and hairstyle you like within the game. You can even have, you know, no hair, you can have dreadlocks, you can have any curls, you can have any style you can get a barber to cut it in. You can tattoo your face...totally, utterly make your character unique to yourself.

End (5minutes 11 seconds 5:11) To be continued...

l Maximus l
01-11-2002, 04:49 PM
Okay, that sounds really cool and everything so far...and very unique...but, what is the plot of Project Ego? Does the dude go into detail about this? In other words, what is the main character trying to accomplish other than being a pretty boy or one ugly mf?

Just curious...so far, it sounds amazing and unique :)

JADE8704
01-11-2002, 05:54 PM
well, you can find the story here:

http://planetxbox.com/projectego/

basically after the story, you're free to shape your destiny however you like :)

xboxpebbles
01-11-2002, 06:16 PM
I CANT WAIT FOR THIS GAME!!

i have read so much about it...wow!
this is definitely going to rock:)
thanks for cheering me up w/ sum
more info JADE:cool:

l Maximus l
01-11-2002, 06:18 PM
That link didn't tell me anything about the story or plot in regards to Ego. Hey, XBoxpebbles, what can you tell me about what the plot is about? Or, what the main character is trying to accomplish?

XBOX Dude
01-11-2002, 07:11 PM
i think the story might be i don't know for sure that his family was murdered by some evil guy and the plot is if you shoose to follow it i think is to get revenge, of course i could be wrong and i wouldn't be surprized.

Plewis
01-11-2002, 09:24 PM
from the site it doesnt seem like there is a plot. You just want to be a hero? I don't know. It sounds like a pretty stupid plot so far. I am gonna wait till i hear how other people like it b4 i buy it

JADE8704
01-12-2002, 11:17 AM
see max, thats the thing...you make your own story by what you do in the game...the skeleton of the plot is that your family is murdered while you're out at the market, and i guess throught your life you're trying to get revenge on who killed your family...but basically you can do whatever you want in the game to shape your destiny...everything in the game is 3D rendered and there aren't any 2D images so if you see a mountain on the other side of the town you can walk up to it

BadBoywannaB
01-13-2002, 01:14 PM
I am also very excited about this game and here is the story so far thanks to the website where if found it http://planetxbox.com/projectego/gameinfo/story.shtml

It sounds to me a lot like Shenmue in the regards of revenge but in a more midevil setting. Whatever it is it will be xbox's killer app for next christmas. That and along with Halo 2 (keep your fingers crossed), and the great unannounced online games will push xbox to the top next year. I can't wait for the suprises at E3. Mark My word Jaws will drop! when they see the next-gen xbox games. Ok so here is the story for project ego sounds very kewl.

The Story so far....

The land of Albion is a wild, beautiful place. There are bustling market towns where thieves lurk in every shadow. Woodcutters' encampments are nestled on the shores of forest lakes while strange sounds fill the night air. Brave fishermen live out their austere existence in coastal villages wracked by storms. Fur-hooded mountain children listen to tales of the demons that lurk in the darkness while wolves howl at the moon.

The people who live there are much like the people anywhere. They are thieves and gentlemen, assassins and clergymen, storekeepers and housewives.

One day, something comes along which changes their lives forever. You. You are born with the power of the Will. Albion will never be the same again.

Your family and pet dog are murdered. You are thrown out into the world with nothing but underwear on your body and blood in your veins. You go out to become whatever you wish.

Ego puts you in control of a hero, with a milestone idea of following his life from 17 years of age to 70 years or more. The idea is that you want to become a real hero, THE hero, a legend.

Create your life story from childhood to death

Grow from an inexperienced child

Into the most powerful being in the world

Choose the path of righteousness

Or dedicate your life to evil

Muscles expand with each feat of strength

And force of Will increases with each work of wit

Obesity follows gluttony

Skin tans with exposure to sunlight

And bleaches bone-white by moonlight

Earn scars in battle

And lines of experience with age

Each person you aid

Each flower you crush

Each creature you slay

Will change this world forever

Who will you be?

The Story so far....

Hugh_Jass
01-14-2002, 08:00 AM
I want this game to be everything they claim it to be but I can't help but be skeptical until I see it with my own eyes. We've been burned by lofty goals and empty promises too many times before by the gaming industry. I'm not going to be the first one to buy this game. I'll let other people tell me how good it is before I buy.

BadBoywannaB
01-15-2002, 05:21 PM
bump