PDA

View Full Version : How to Clean Dust from Xbox ?

MaxPain
04-03-2004, 10:16 AM
Whats the best way to clean the dust from my xbox fans etc?

Hard Boiled Cop
04-03-2004, 10:42 AM
I have no idea. Try blowing it. I have never cleaned my xbox fan and it still runs fine.

Slowride
04-03-2004, 12:51 PM
compressed air I suppose

Yankeez
04-03-2004, 03:37 PM
compressed air I suppose
yep, just buy a can of it at like best buy, you will have to open up your xbox though, which will void warranty, but some people dont care i guess :eek:

CarGuy
04-03-2004, 04:01 PM
Don't use compressed air unless you open your case and the dust has a place to go. Otherwise it just blows it around inside and you dont want it to get stuck somewhere important. I use a small, unused, soft bristled paint brush.

RockTheCasba
04-03-2004, 04:03 PM
that is a nice way to clean with a paintbrush

Donnie_B
04-03-2004, 06:25 PM
What about cleaning the lense? I have heard some people have problems using lense cleaners, and they do more damage that good. Can you suggest a good lense cleaner, or should you just stay away from this all together.

:hump:

Brasco

Hawkhead11
04-03-2004, 08:35 PM
I used a vaccum on the lowest power (on mine it was for the curtains) and it worked the best, because it takes out all of the dust, instead of blowing it around.

Hero
04-03-2004, 11:16 PM
I used a vaccum on the lowest power (on mine it was for the curtains) and it worked the best, because it takes out all of the dust, instead of blowing it around.

thats a great idea i will have to try that one

blonks
04-04-2004, 02:34 PM
i bet if i tried the vacuum idea id suck up some chip...

LiquidX
04-04-2004, 05:18 PM
Mine was giving me mass DDE's so I took it apart to clean it. It's 2 years old so I figured what the hell... I cleaned the motherboard and fans with a paintbrush. To get to the eye in the DVD I had to take the DVD drive itself apart. A little bit of rubbing alcohol on a Q-tip works fine for cleaning the eye. Mine now works like the day I bought it!

SPARTAN VI
04-05-2004, 02:11 AM
I have an old Thompson drive on my older Xbox. I bought a DVD lens cleaner to see if I can clean the lens... no good. Anyway, if any of you remember, the xbox I bought on launch is broken. Nothing works on it, so I'm guessing it's the lens. How would one go about cracking that DVD drive open to stick a Q-tip at that lens?

LiquidX
04-05-2004, 09:41 AM
I dont know about the Thompson drive but my Phillips just had 4 screws on it. One was hidden under a sticker. Once I got those out the top slid right off. I've looked at some Thompson drive pics on the net and cant tell if it would be as easy to take apart or not. If you still want to take it apart this place (http://www.llamma.com/xbox/Repairs/crack_open_that_xbox.htm) may be of some help. It shows how to completely take apart an Xbox but you really only need to stop after step 5 and figure out how to open the DVD. It really shouldnt be that hard.

Spaztic
04-05-2004, 03:58 PM
Well I opened my xbox up and used compressed air. My drive was giving DDE's so I used alcohol and cleaned the lense. I still got DDE's So I opened the drive and replaced the laser unit. Works like a champ. I also had to replace the fan on the processor becuase it was stopping and making noises.

MikeMan91389
04-05-2004, 08:17 PM
wait... why would u care about voiding the warranty if youve had it for 3 years..... pleasse explain :)