PDA

View Full Version : Are you grabbing as many big controllers as you can?

kenji
04-05-2004, 09:26 PM
The Duke is no longer being made, replaced by the S-controller, so I ask, are you picking up as many Dukes as you can?

I just bought one off of eBay for $16 and I thought that it was a stellar deal. The only controller that I use is the Duke, so I'm trying to get some replacements in case one of mine craps out. I have told my friends that the Duke is no longer being made, but it doesn't seem to register with them. :confused:

PS: If more than one of mine crap out, what is another controller like the Duke? :cheers:

Ninjermy
04-05-2004, 09:29 PM
what about that madcats one that is made of clear plastic? i think its pretty large. ya i also have a duke. kinda sucks they are stopping to make them. i have bigs hands, and u no what big hands mean?

big controllers

GuiltySpark
04-05-2004, 09:31 PM
There is now that can match the Duke in size or perfection...

I thought they stopped makin these a long time ago....

Yeah, I remember when I had a pair of dukes. I fiddled with their joysticks every day. Then I left em laying around and some slut dog bit holes in em. Yeah I was pissed. Now I gotta deal with these crappy "s" controllers. It's sad really...

Ethereal S. D.
04-05-2004, 09:47 PM
hehe I always felt awkward with those S type controlers... but I love the dukes. No controller has ever been that comfortable. It's been with me for at least 15 legendary halo campains and still working like new.

BoundBruiser
04-05-2004, 11:47 PM
Long live the Duke!!!

Cryogenic Pyro
04-06-2004, 12:02 AM
Seriously, let's make him "Duke," a kick ass "Duke."
Or "leader formerly known as King," but-- uh-oh he's comin' back...

Anyway, with that little piece of a song out of the way, I have to say that I have fairly large hands, but I dislike the duke. The S is the best.

BinaryXtreme
04-06-2004, 12:16 AM
Yeah, they haven't made the Duke for a while now. I hated it anyway. Too big and clumsy for me.

RudedogX
04-06-2004, 07:44 AM
If anyone wants a 'duke' I have one that I don't use. Send me a PM and make me an offer...

Casper
04-06-2004, 08:40 AM
I have 6 - I've been picking them up for 10 a pop whenever I see them used at a Gamestop or EB - I hate those S controllers with a passion, especially since the dam white and black buttons are moved :rolleyes:

CarGuy
04-06-2004, 10:01 AM
I own a duke from my original xbox. I used to love it but if I go back to it the ABXY buttons are just to close to each other. The analog sticks have better grip with the S also, but it doesnt really matter to me. All my friends like the S so I end up using the duke anyway.

m4oH
04-06-2004, 10:15 AM
I got one "Duke" controller. I absolutley hate the S controler because it feels like Im holdin hands w/ myself :yikes:

Miragemist
04-06-2004, 11:10 AM
hey first post for me woohoo!!! i like the duke feels like im holding something and interacting with the game the s feels like a compact computer controller designed to fit into small spaces err uhh i mean hands yeah hands

George89
04-06-2004, 11:12 AM
I used to use only the Duke, but I tried the S controller and have been using it ever since.

Miragemist
04-06-2004, 11:14 AM
well i will say one thing for the s it actually doesnt make my hand sweet at all and feels secure but still for an adults hands they arent the best

Sexaya
04-06-2004, 11:37 AM
I've got one Duke, and that's the one I use all the time, except for fighting games. For fighting games I use one of my Madcatz, and I have another one that I won from a giveaway, the Intec Mini, it's actually surprisingly good for some games... But I'll always love my Duke.

I'm thinking about getting an S soon so that I can play 4-person Halo games.

JJaX
04-06-2004, 12:24 PM
People that use S-controllers dont live as long.....

Its a fact......

Ask around...

RudedogX
04-06-2004, 01:41 PM
People that use S-controllers dont live as long.....

Its a fact......

Ask around...
We all gotta die sometime.:confused:

darkfusion
04-12-2004, 12:47 PM
I actually prefer the Controller S :yikes:

The only time I prefer the "Duke" is for first-person shooters like Halo, but for racing games and action games I find the Controller S way more comfortable.

CMX Jedi
04-12-2004, 02:56 PM
i like the S controler. :D
but the only thing that pisses me off about the thing is that the black and white buttons are in the wrong spot, i press them when i dont want to. they realy should be on the top where they are on the "duke". or where your middle fingers go, that would be a good spot for them

Duke
04-12-2004, 02:59 PM
Have two still in the packaging. Probably pick up used ones if I see 'em.

Dark will be the day that I'm forced to use the S.

l Maximus l
04-12-2004, 03:03 PM
I don't remember the Original Controllers being called "Dukes"...but, hey, sounds kinda cool anyway :D

I have 4 of them... One peice of advice: Do not roll the cord up...unless you do it very loose. The wire seemingly tears very easily...I ruined two of mine this way...so, technically, I have six, but, I don't count the messed up ones.

nutsnyomowf
04-12-2004, 09:15 PM
You hate the "S" I hate the "Duke",Lets make a even trade.Anyone?

volcrider
04-13-2004, 12:02 AM
My theory is, that if you are and always have been a true xbox fan, meaning you have the original released xbox, with the original released "Duke's," as you like to call them, and all you concentrated on the first week you had it was Halo, then you are a "Duke" kinda guy. But if your one of these new kids growin up on the system, and tearin' it up mind you... admit it, some of those 10 year olds can ripass on Live, well as for them they're chill on the S cause they dont understand the greatness. Anyway its all about how you comfortable you are when you're playing... we shouldn't be judging... we should be raising an army for the day all of us Masterchiefs blow Mario and Sonic's f****ing heads off. :cheers:

P.S. for all of you big controller lovers, that really want that authentic Xbox touch... checkout the newly released Halo 2 controller, with dual rumble units, fully programmable buttons, and TURBO... thats right, ITS TURBO DUDE. TURBO is BACK. :hump:

-robRice aka volcrider-

BigBadLuc
04-13-2004, 11:24 AM
I personnaly could never get used to the S.

Picture me in your imagination :
- 6 feet 7 inches tall
- 315 pounds

Now extrapolate on the size of my hands based on the above specs. The S is simply too small for me! :D

Slowride
04-13-2004, 05:42 PM
You can add me to the trade list. I'm tired of hearing people saying that the controller being so big is the main reason they're getting their ass kicked. I get the S due to home field advantage. obviously. I'll make a straight trade, duke for S.

bretman1234
04-13-2004, 06:33 PM
My theory is, that if you are and always have been a true xbox fan, meaning you have the original released xbox, with the original released "Duke's," as you like to call them, and all you concentrated on the first week you had it was Halo, then you are a "Duke" kinda guy. But if your one of these new kids growin up on the system, and tearin' it up mind you... admit it, some of those 10 year olds can ripass on Live, well as for them they're chill on the S cause they dont understand the greatness. Anyway its all about how you comfortable you are when you're playing... we shouldn't be judging... we should be raising an army for the day all of us Masterchiefs blow Mario and Sonic's f****ing heads off. :cheers:

P.S. for all of you big controller lovers, that really want that authentic Xbox touch... checkout the newly released Halo 2 controller, with dual rumble units, fully programmable buttons, and TURBO... thats right, ITS TURBO DUDE. TURBO is BACK. :hump:

-robRice aka volcrider-
My Xbox came with the Duke, and I loved it when I had it. I eventually bought another Duke, and had fun with both of those in Halo Co-op with buddies. Unfortuanately, the same thing that happened to Maxi happened to me. One of them ripped where the cord meets the controller and it was done. So I wasn't sure which controller to buy, and I bought the S, to have a little variety. Well ever since then, its been all S.

Thats right, I use the S. I must have tiny hands and a tiny thing, right guys :rolleyes:

nutsnyomowf
04-13-2004, 08:08 PM

-robRice aka volcrider-
My Xbox came with the "Duke" and I must say I was hating that I owned a Xbox for this reason.I know Im gona get alot of negative feedback on saying so but hey its true.I was so happy when the Controller S hit the shelves I went out and bought 4 at one time.I could now play Hunter TR(My 1st game by the way) and press the B button with out pressing the A button.When going to Halo parties the player with the Duke controller was like the player with the Old Maid card. :p

SoundX
04-14-2004, 09:05 AM
Those pads were nasty, since the day I picked one up in Game I knew i'd have to get a 3rd Party one that was smaller or something. It really used to hurt my hands using that pad.

Still I guess you guys with the big hands love em.

The Black and White on my lovely S-Pads never get in the way, but I have got real small hands.

TOTTEN
04-14-2004, 10:52 AM
ive had my xbox since the first christmas it was out and i got two dukes one controller s and one other tiny controller. i love the duke but my hands arent big so i got to use the controller s
the dukes cord does get fuked up easy

Duke
04-14-2004, 12:15 PM
I don't remember the Original Controllers being called "Dukes"...but, hey, sounds kinda cool anyway :D.

Yeah, they weren't called that until I was named supreme ultimate gamer of all time.

Apparently some info has leaked but it's all very hush hush still. They're not gonna make the announcement till I have more time. Been to busy beta testing fable and Halo 2. You know how it is.

Tweaked
04-14-2004, 12:42 PM
what about that madcats one that is made of clear plastic? i think its pretty large. ya i also have a duke. kinda sucks they are stopping to make them. i have bigs hands, and u no what big hands mean?

big controllers

big gloves?

Sigma
04-14-2004, 03:55 PM
I hate "The Duke" the button placement is akward and the thing is huge. The "S" is much better IMO.

(ScArab)
04-14-2004, 04:39 PM
Yeah i'm way ahdead of you, i went out and bought an extra 2 O-Controllers, back when they released the S.

WynnFire
04-15-2004, 01:09 AM
I have 3 big duke controllers. I played Halo 11 hours straight with one and never had a hand cramp. Boy do I love those ones. Now I am using a wireless controller.

TrueBelieverUK*
04-15-2004, 02:54 AM
I still have the origional controler i got wiht my xbox and another one to go with it, they're big, i'm guessign they're dukes? i prefer them to the S, but if one breaks, i'll replace it with an S, and probably use the S as well....

ah well
i'll live
byt no for long apparently
chrisd

WynnFire
04-15-2004, 12:46 PM
but if one breaks, i'll replace it with an S, and probably use the S as well....

Good luck in breaking one. I have a hard wood floor in my bedroom and I have dropped mine, thrown it to the ground, stomped on it, etc... just to see if it would break. All three are still working great. I haven't had a problem with them yet.

No Fear 23
04-15-2004, 01:14 PM
just got the blue controller S. played it for the first time in rainbow 6 yesterday...i gotta admit, i like the responsive feel on the controller S. but after playing with the dukes for 2 years, i dont know how i can get used to the small size of the controller S.

i just hope xbox 2 will have a controller like the duke.

Folgerboy
04-15-2004, 02:15 PM
It all depends on what game I'm playing, really.

For first-person-shooters, I like the Duke. The grip is larger and you get more of the feeling that you're actually gripping the weapon, instead of manipulating it by remote. I like it for driving titles as well - I tend to oversteer with the Controller S. But for most other games, especially RPG-types like Morrowind or Gladius, I like the S just fine. The button layout is more forgiving.