PDA

View Full Version : xbox online?

monkeyman
01-12-2002, 04:32 PM
does anyone know when xbox is gonna go online i know it is already but i mean like microsoft way not gamespy and does anyone know if you have to have like dsl or any kind of fast modem for that? im going crazy i have beat all my games and my connection sucks to much to get it online gamespy way:eek: ahhhhhh and i dont got the money for another game ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

X-Fox220
01-12-2002, 04:38 PM
I feel your pain...I would also love to know the answer to these question...anyone help??

skoot182
01-12-2002, 04:40 PM
Spring/summer 2002

dsl, cable, or higher

monkeyman
01-12-2002, 04:47 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.............

:confused: im telling you ill go crazy cause i know ill never get it :eek: ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh:( stupid stupid computer i hate you grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Frostberg
01-13-2002, 11:32 AM
hmm well this is for the future. You dont want to play games without anything other than broadband. It seems like for anyone who is on the internet more than 5-10 hours a week needs broadband just for internet access. I spend a wholeee lot more than that and I dont know WTF I would do without it. You NEED to get a broadband connection, for your computers sake and when the Xbox goes online

monkeyman
01-13-2002, 02:07 PM
how much does a broadband connection cost?

xBoXGaMeR2002
01-13-2002, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by monkeyman
how much does a broadband connection cost?

from $35 to as high as $60 a month. Matters where you live and which service you get. I get a $40 a month services, its mad fast, and i love it!

monkeyman
01-13-2002, 02:40 PM
i think i might get that

Ninja Scroll
01-14-2002, 10:31 AM
Well this summer 2002 I cant wait. I know it will be worth every single month until the offical launch of the network.
I mean, it's gotta be the greatest thing known to man with the Ethernet port.
From the dissapointing performance SegaNet showed me, I will be happy with anything that's not 56K!:cool:

Ohhhhhhhhh, just thinking of Halo 1.5 (or whatever it will be called) just makes me drool in anticapation!:eek:

JJaX
01-14-2002, 11:01 AM
Does anyone know if ill be able to share my broadband connection with a computer and 2 xboxs. I would imagine so with the simple implication of a hub. It would be nice to have my comp and my 2 xboxs hooked up via wireless hub. *DrooooooooooooooooooooooooL*

Hugh_Jass
01-14-2002, 12:07 PM
That depends on your ISP.

If your ISP allows you to own multiple IPs then it is as simple as using a hub.

If your ISP only gives you one IP then you need a router or some other gateway that allows Internet sharing.

If you have an old PC and some NICs laying around you can make your own router with DHCP using Coyote Linux (http://www.coyotelinux.com/). It is wizard-based and easy to use. It runs off a write-protected floppy so if you are hacked all you need to do is reboot. You don't even need to have a hard drive in the PC used for Coyote Linux. I've used this before and it runs great on my old Penium 200MMX. You can use it on a 486DX but I found PCI-based NICs much easier to use with Linux because they auto-configure.

robnyack
01-14-2002, 12:15 PM
the latest XBOX MAGAZINE has a story on xbox online. While, it sounds ok, it was still a little sketchy and not exactly what I was hoping to hear.

It sounds like they are going with an EA.com sort of business model (which, by the way has just annnounced it was a big flop for them). There will be a site you log into, and for a monthly flat fee you will get to play a handfull of games, and then there will be various "premium" packages available to be able to play other games as well.

I guess that is all well and good, but, what I am looking for is not so much a xbox site to log into and be able to play various games, I am more interested in finding out if independant game makers will be offering online IP to IP hookup to play their game. For instance, anyone who plays Madden 2001 or 2002 will know what I'm talking about. Or they provide there own lobby for those playing the gam to hook up and play. For instance, people who own Madden have access to the EAMadden server where they can chat and play.

I'm dying to be able to do a Madden online league thru the xbox.

The article also did mention some interesting concepts such as a basketball game or baseball game or whatever where each player is controlled by a different xbox user. That sounds pretty cool. Also this little communication device that all will have to have sounds cool too.

But, my guess, and this is just a guess, the article sounded way to sketchy for me to think that xbox online is going to launch by spring or summer 2002. That is just a hunch on my part. I hope I'm wrong.

robnyack
01-15-2002, 08:09 AM
anyone hear anything else about xbox online?