PDA

View Full Version : Rallisport Challange 2 Review

OuFtb
04-13-2004, 11:20 AM
http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/launchreview.asp?reviewid=343680

Rallisport is not unlike the vast majority of sports out there, its fast, it’s dirty and it can be extremely violent. Only a few get to experience the thrill of strapping themselves into a steel machine while hurtling themselves at breakneck speeds through routes and dangerous terrain that only the co-driver knows about and has scribbled in his rough notes. All this while at the same time trying to avoid trees, cows and hikers that have accidentally wondered into your path. Isn’t life fun?

And if you don’t think so, we defy you to have fun with this little racer. That’s because unlike the pure simulation of Colin McRae, the strict (but extremely fair) learning curve will probably be the heart of Rallisports success. Many people complain that the only other real offering, Codemasters Colin McRae Rally 04 was far too difficult for beginners. Well developers Dice certainly didn’t want to make the same mistake. Featuring a career path that takes you down four routes (Amateur, Pro, Champion and Super Rally) with the final level Super Rally only becoming unlocked after completing everything else, Rallisport can not be accused of alienating anyone. Seasoned players will probably polish off the amateur courses with full honours and only start to get challenged with the Pro section; however with all the unlockables to be gained in the first section (23) there really isn’t any reason why even they shouldn’t start off at the beginning.

And the unlockables featured in Rallisport Challenge 2 really do take the preverbal biscuit, quote me if I am wrong here but surely a game boasting a whopping 238 bonuses to unlock must propel this title into the lead for shear extras to be gained whilst playing a game. These extras take the form of bonus cars, tracks and differing paint jobs (liveries) for your cars. Most of these extras can be won by finishing in a decent position in certain races. The extra liveries are earned by travelling a certain distance in that particular car. (Each car can have four different liveries). Keeping track of the actual distance travelled is quite easy as developers Dice have incorporated an odometer in each car which tracks exactly how many kilometres you have travelled, certainly a nice touch. Showing off your cars (and the liveries) online will no doubt be appreciated especially since some of these liveries need a colossal 400 kilometres of travelled distance before they become yours.

Click the link above to read the whole review, Release date, 05/04, took from Gamfaqs, I was suprized to see a review for the game cause I thought it wouldn't be out for a while, but then I realized May 4th isn't that long away, can't wait to play it.

OC Noob
04-13-2004, 03:16 PM
I like Rally racing the best. It just fun sliding around in the dirt and snow.

I too can't wait for this one.

BlindSniper
04-13-2004, 04:10 PM
wow, I think I may pick this up. Usually I like racing games for a bit then get bored. But this looks promising. My bday is may 3rd and I think Ill pick this title up! I cant wait to see how the violence is. Wait did you say violence? and cows? hmmm, I smell carnage:)

SoundX
04-14-2004, 08:44 AM
Can't wait for this one, top of my to buy list.

CMX Jedi
04-14-2004, 08:57 AM
can your wheels fall off like in "colin mcrae rally"(who ever that is) i was playing the demo and both my front wheels fell off and rolled down the road. my dads laughin im trying to get the car started ,that was great. :rofl:

Spaztic
04-14-2004, 11:31 AM
Can't wait for this dish!

Unreal
04-14-2004, 08:27 PM
I can't wait till the game releases :D

Viper87227
04-14-2004, 08:37 PM
I don't know wheater I will get this or Colin McRae 4. Last year, I prefered CMR3 over Rallisport simply because it had a much greater replay value. Sure RSC looked better, but I got tired of it to fast. This year, CRM4 = $20 RSC2 = $50. RSC2 has live play, where as CMR4 only has stats posting, but thats fine by me. Any true rally fan knows that rally was ment to be played one person on a track at a time, not multiple cars racing around a circuit. RSC2 online may be fun, but its not realistic, and I think running time trials to see if I can gain a spot or two on the online rankings is more competative, more fun, and more realistic. Just as last year, RSC2 has the graphics on its side, but thats it. CMR4 has the gamplay, realism, and price tag in its favor. In due time, being big into rally, I will get both, but its pretty much a guarentee that I will get CMR4 now and get RSC2 when it hits the $30 price tag of its XSN brethren...