PDA

View Full Version : Ubisoft Gives Us Brothers in Arms

OuFtb
04-13-2004, 12:38 PM
Ubisoft and Gearbox revealed a potentially long-term partnership today with the announcement of Brothers in Arms (originally called Baker's Dozen), a tactical first-person shooter based on World War II and due to ship this holiday on Xbox and PC, with additional versions on other consoles coming later.

Gearbox, known for its affinity to delivery ports (Halo to PC, Half-Life to PS2) is determined to create a tough, competitive and innovative squad-based, first-person shooter for both off-line and online players on both Xbox and PC. Ubisoft would not reveal any details on the nature of Brothers in Arms' multiplayer aspects, but we suspect the standard goodies will appear, such as four-on-four deathmatches, team deathmatches, capture the flag and more. A Ubisoft representative said that the game looks just like the screenshots, and that once we see it, we'll understand.

"The WWII theme is one of the fastest growing segments of the military shooter market and we believe that Brothers in Arms is the ideal title to expand Ubisoft's new catalog of war games," said Yves Guillemot, CEO and president of Ubisoft. "We were blown away by the immersive and realistic combat we experienced when playing this game and anybody who knows the reputation of Gearbox Software will understand the magnitude of this deal."

Placing gamers in the boots of Sgt. Matt Baker, a D-Day paratrooper squad leader, Brothers in Arms fuses true World War II stories with uncensored grit and emotionally-charged gameplay to hopefully bring a different kind of WWII shooter to market. In addition to embracing true stories, Geabox's research includes historical events to create a realistic and engaging tone. Ubisoft promises to take players through hazardously real battlefields re-created from aerial reconnaissance images, US Army Signal Corps photos and eye-witness accounts of Normandy. Players also can expect to engage in a unique command and control system.

"Ubisoft's proven know-how publishing realistic, tactical shooters make an ideal partnership with Gearbox as we create this new franchise," said Randy Pitchford, President of Gearbox Software. "With years of research and game design innovation supporting this title, gamers should be ready for an authentic story, a fresh game play design and the ultimate WWII combat experience."

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/506/506160p1.html

Hard Boiled Cop
04-13-2004, 01:23 PM
This whole description of the game reminds me of Steven Spielberg and Tom Hank's world war 2 drama Band of Brothers. Anyway my fingers crossed for this one.

Casper
04-13-2004, 01:25 PM
This whole description of the game reminds me of Steven Spielberg and Tom Hank's world war 2 drama Band of Brothers. Anyway my fingers crossed for this one.
Ditto and with Ubi behind it, it should be a great hit - more like Call of Duty coming to us from a different company - but it's all good since it's Ubi :D