PDA

View Full Version : x=box freezing

djatak
01-14-2002, 03:42 AM
I'm been having problems w/ my X-Box freezing after/before levels...or during loading...and evn during games..

is anyone else hacing this problem?... I thoughts it was the rented games I was using..but it happened on brand new games..

any advice..?
should I just send it in soon?

please e-mail me

deejayatak@hotmail.com

Tak

DenniZz81
01-14-2002, 05:26 AM
i find it strange that all ppl having trouble with their xboxes are new to this forum...
wonder why?

XBA Staff
01-14-2002, 06:26 AM
So far I haven't had any problems with my Xbox and I hope I never have any problems with it. In-fact, I never had problems with any of my systems ranging from my NES/SNES/Gameboy/Gamegear/Virtual Boy/N64/Dreamcast not to my Xbox. I have had problems with my PC if that counts as a system.

Ninja Scroll
01-14-2002, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by DenniZz81
i find it strange that all ppl having trouble with their xboxes are new to this forum...
wonder why?

if I see one more thread with this Xbox bs im gonna go on a Ninja Murder Beef up in dis joint:mad:

Come on now, it is so obvious people are only trying to stir things up with the Xbox hardware having problems.
But Microsoft already announced only 1% percent of the Xbox buyers are having any kind of difficulty with the consoles.

And this headline post is total bs!
this is not a first in this forum, and im sure not the last:(

JJaX
01-14-2002, 11:05 AM
The only time my xbox ever froze was when i rented PGR. And whenever i went to quick race and went over one of the tracks it would freeze. I tried like 5 times and it owuld always freeze when i highlighted that one track. Then i brough it to a friends and it worked fine. But im just assuming the disc was dirty being it was rented from blockbuste.r

l Maximus l
01-14-2002, 11:12 AM
Like I have said, I have played my XBox and have never seen the slightest freeze...not even a glitch. I have played countless hours on it, talked with it, farted by it, burped by it, joked with it, laughed with it, tickled the little green jewel, rubbed it's belly, licked it, shined it like a gypsy lamp, moved it, slept with it like a teddy bear, used it to scratch my back, smelled it, did hop scotch over it, did a voodoo dance around it with candles around the room, clipped my toe nails near it, put beer bottles on it, and I have even used it as a toothpick....and I have never seen a tiny glitch from that MF!! lol :D

yall
01-14-2002, 11:24 AM
i have only had 2 slight problems w/my xbox. the first is with the movies in tony hawk 2x. they occasionally are choppy. big whoop.
#2 is on obi-wan. when you go to load a game it cuts to the intro screen before going to the level. but it happened on a freinds xbox as well so it may be the disk

robnyack
01-14-2002, 11:59 AM
wonder why?

Well, it could be the very same reason that I had. The very first time I posted to this board was when my xbox started freezing. I came here seeking answers and to find out if I was the only one on the whole friggin planet that had a bad xbox! :D

As for there only being 1% defect rate (which is, by the way, well within the industry standard!) and yet lots of people popping up on these boards with bad xboxes?...........see my previous paragraph.

Instead of questioning the integrity of the poster, take them at face value, answer their questions, and point out that THERE IS ONLY A 1% DEFECT RATE WHICH IS WELL WITHIN INDUSTRY STANDARDS.

That covers the good intentioned people and the ill-intentioned people.

GokuX
01-14-2002, 01:05 PM
I'm sorry but some of U people jump to conclusions about the poster way to early. Just cuz they are coming to this forum the for the first time with an Xbox problem means nothing. U don't know that they don't have an Xbox. Plus who the heck is gonna come here except people that have an Xbox or will potentially get an Xbox. So what does it matter if the person says they're having a problem with their X its not like tons of GC and PS2 boys are here watching saying "look there's another X problem." Give em a break geez, yes some might be fanboys with nothign better to do but I'm guessing 99 percent aren't.

l Maximus l
01-14-2002, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by GokuX
I'm sorry but some of U people jump to conclusions about the poster way to early. Just cuz they are coming to this forum the for the first time with an Xbox problem means nothing. U don't know that they don't have an Xbox. Plus who the heck is gonna come here except people that have an Xbox or will potentially get an Xbox. So what does it matter if the person says they're having a problem with their X its not like tons of GC and PS2 boys are here watching saying "look there's another X problem." Give em a break geez, yes some might be fanboys with nothign better to do but I'm guessing 99 percent aren't.

I agree to a point. But, you have to admit that there is a common trend of people who have problems that have less than 5 posts. I hardly believe it's a coincidence. Quite frankly, it doesn't bug me...all I know is that mine works great! Not even a single glitch since I owned my XBox. It would be a shame if these people are legitimate...but, they could simply return it.

djatak
01-14-2002, 01:46 PM
boy am I sorry I posterf what I thought was an innocent question to this board of apperent overknowledge geeks..

close to 10 replies and not 1 that helped my problem..GET A ****ING LIFE!

I'll go ahead and call 18004myxbox or whatever...

play the game..don't let the game play you

jesus christ..

Tak

Ninja Scroll
01-14-2002, 01:53 PM
Da Ninja sticks with his statement. Nuff said!:cool:

l Maximus l
01-14-2002, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Ninja Scroll
Da Ninja sticks with his statement. Nuff said!:cool:

hehehehe...It appears that this dude has more pebbles in his diaper than you do, Ninja! :D hehe....now go fetch me towelette....my eyes are watering from laughing too hard :D

Ninja Scroll
01-14-2002, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Maximus

hehehehe...It appears that this dude has more pebbles in his diaper than you do, Ninja! :D hehe....now go fetch me towelette....my eyes are watering from laughing too hard :D

lol, looks that way huh?:rolleyes:

See, see, see how you are already starting with me on Monday with the diaper jokes (lol)! The very beginning of the work week waximus!
Okay, you got jokes? It's on my little faithful side kick!:D

LynxFX
01-14-2002, 11:52 PM
Since he is a fellow Mile High'r I'll try and lend a hand. :)

Freezing can be a bad thing but what do you mean by freezing? Does it lock up and you have to restart the xbox? Is it just a short freeze like a skip? During Halo between subsections of the game it will hicup while it loads. It lasts a brief second during game play. Much better than having to go to a loading screen for 30 seconds like on some consoles...*cough* no need to mention them *cough*.

Also, for some reason when people rent DVDs or games they show no respect with them and I would swear that some people use them as hockey pucks or frisbees for their dogs. So that could be a problem. But you did say new games too. So don't play hockey with your new games. :p

Is there plenty of room around your xbox for ventalation? Is it on a hard surface so that air can get underneith it? Heat can cause problems.

If you still have problems you might want to take it back where you got it and exchange it. Depends on when you purchased it and that stores exchange policy.

TRUE_GAMER
01-15-2002, 12:19 AM
But then I was told not all DVDs will play on the video consoles. Is that try?

TRUE_GAMER
01-15-2002, 12:20 AM
Sorry guys I had a brain fart...lol

LynxFX
01-15-2002, 12:54 AM
Yes it is true that not all dvds will play. This is more common on the PS2 than the Xbox. I think the only one that had problems on the xbox so far was Snow White(had problems with other stand alone players as well).

Most of these problems are due to the dvd authoring rather than the consoles or other dvd players for that matter. Studios that end up going away from the dvd spec and sometimes this causes the dvd not to play with certain players. It isn't always the fault of cheaper hardware either. There are some very high end receivers that drop the DTS soundtrack on The Fast and the Furious because the studios added an anti-piracy flag to that track and when the receiver sees it, it can't determine what it is so it just mutes itself as a safety measure.

TRUE_GAMER
01-15-2002, 01:22 AM
I think its because it's a double sided dvd.

LynxFX
01-15-2002, 02:06 AM
Double sided dvds have nothing to do with it. If you are talking about dual layered discs, then that shouldn't have anything to do with it either. All dvd players today fully support dual layered dvds. I think even the first gen dvd players in 97 did.

GokuX
01-15-2002, 04:17 AM
Sorry djatak that the responses to your questions about freezes have left you feeling a little out in the cold. Hehe I couldn't help myself. Anyway, from what Ure describing it sounds like your Xbox freezes alot. This is not normal as far as operation goes. If it was like one or two out of 70+ hours of play then I wouldn't sweat it, but if its happening like every other time U play then I'd definitely return that sucker for a new one. These are the basic question when dealing with Xbox freezes. Go through em.

1) Does your Xbox have an appropriate amount of empty space around it so that air can flow in and around it to keep it cool?

2) Is it on a level surface?

3) Is it on a bare surface and not a rug or carpet?

4) Are all of the disks relatively clean and don't have scratches on them?

Now some other questions:

1) Have you bumped your Xbox on accident while playing a game?

2) Have U moved your Xbox alot from one place to another, ie from your house to your friends' houses? If yes then go to 3, else skip to 4.

3) Have U ever dropped your Xbox or has it been bumped hard during moving?

4) Have you ever rented any Xbox games from Blockbuster video?

5) Does your home experience power surges or outages frequently?

6) Do U have your Xbox plugged directly into a wall socket or do U have it running through a surge protector?

7) Do you frequently unplug your Xbox?

8) Do U own 3rd party accessories for the Xbox such as controllers?

9) Do the freezes occur on a regular basis with a specific game not being a limiting factor to the system freezing ? In other words does your Xbox freeze up alot no matter which game U play?

Well, go through these questions then post back so we can get to the bottom of this.

Hugh_Jass
01-15-2002, 11:37 AM
I had my first freeze last night during an intense session with Azurik. It happened at a good place (not long after I saved) so I wasn't upset. I just hit the reset and I was good to go.

ShannonX
01-15-2002, 12:45 PM
the only freeze problems i've had were with Dave Mirra 2. I've played about 5 different games on the system, and none of them have skipped or froze (1 second freezes at most, not a complete freeze up). Thats obviously, just the disk or the game itself.

smack119
01-15-2002, 05:55 PM
about mirra 2...... a quick question, mine has a slight pause when songs change.... it is a noticable pause pause in the action... is this normal, has anyone seen it?

K Dawg
01-15-2002, 05:56 PM
in pgr....ive been playing kudos challenge and it keeps freezing on a load screen.....but it doesnt freeze on any other game so i guess its just a bad game?

TRUE_GAMER
01-16-2002, 12:34 AM
that the same thing. That not all dvds play on video game systems.

Hugh_Jass
01-16-2002, 08:31 AM
Heck...not all DVDs play on all dedicated DVD players.