PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft to buy BioWare?

OuFtb
04-18-2004, 11:04 AM
A senior official of Microsoft Games Division, asking not to be named, has revealed to Polygon magazine that Microsoft plans to purchase Canadian RPG developer BioWare. The announcement of the purchase is expected at E3 2004. The announcement is expected to be MS' big "surprise" for the show.

BioWare, the developer of the PC and Xbox hit KOTOR, as well as other critically acclaimed PC RPGs such as Neverwinter Knights, is one of the most well respected RPG makers in the industry.

http://www.vgpro.com/news/4591

Ninja
04-18-2004, 11:10 AM
You know right now would be a good time to buy out Interplay(after all they don't have the money to even pay there rent).

Cryogenic Pyro
04-18-2004, 01:47 PM
I hope Bioware doesn't allow this. It will be their downfall. After this, all their games will suck.

StudioAlex
04-19-2004, 12:13 AM
I hope Bioware doesn't allow this. It will be their downfall. After this, all their games will suck.

Yeah, just like how Bungie's games totally suck now. :huh:

Cryogenic Pyro
04-19-2004, 12:17 AM
Yeah, just like how Bungie's games totally suck now. :huh:
Ok, I'm sorry, I thought by purchase it meant purchase the actual studio, not purchase exclusivity.

Sheeyt
04-19-2004, 05:48 AM
Uh yea thats what it means when you buy a company. You buy the entire company and the exclusivity. Besides how would MS buying them make their games suck? They'll still be Bioware, they'll just be exclusive to Xbox and PC.

Cryogenic Pyro
04-19-2004, 08:30 AM
Uh yea thats what it means when you buy a company. You buy the entire company and the exclusivity. Besides how would MS buying them make their games suck? They'll still be Bioware, they'll just be exclusive to Xbox and PC.
Nevermind, I was thinking out my ass. It happens sometimes.

CharlieHustle
04-19-2004, 09:31 PM
BUT, that might be a good idea.. Think about it, now Bioware only develop for the xbox because its the most powerful system and they can make a game how they want it made, right?? Who's to say that Bioware wont develope for the ps3, in the next generation?? If this is true, then MS has a lock on a good developer, kida like Squaresoft is to Sony. This would be very good for us MS fans.

Regosnot
04-19-2004, 09:39 PM
BUT, that might be a good idea.. Think about it, now Bioware only develop for the xbox because its the most powerful system and they can make a game how they want it made, right?? Who's to say that Bioware wont develope for the ps3, in the next generation?? If this is true, then MS has a lock on a good developer, kida like Squaresoft is to Sony. This would be very good for us MS fans.

But it would also develope for the PC so Playstation users can just play it on the computer instead of buying xboxs to play the games Bioware developes

CharlieHustle
04-20-2004, 08:37 AM
Well if thats the case, then xbox users could just buy pc games to play on the cpu also right?? Thats still more money for MS, no matter how you look at it. And i am more than sure that they will push for their games to be developed for their consoles.

Kortiz
04-20-2004, 11:53 AM
There are a lot of pc gamers complaining about this.

I don't believe it will hurt the gaming industry...but who knows.

Duke
04-20-2004, 11:56 AM
There are a lot of pc gamers complaining about this.

I don't believe it will hurt the gaming industry...but who knows.

I really don't see the PC player's beef. They've allowed Bungie to have free reign, and I think they would let another top-notch developer like Bioware have their freedom too.

The games will still be published for the PC, it just guarantees more xbox action for us.

Surely there are arguments that I don't see, but like Kortiz, I don't think this will really hurt anyone.