PDA

View Full Version : RalliSport Challenge 2 Interview

OuFtb
04-21-2004, 09:36 AM
We chatted with RSC 2 Producer Karl Magnus Troedsson about the upcoming racer. How did working on Midtown Madness 3 help them in creating the online aspect of RalliSport Challenge 2? What can we expect from RalliSport Challenge 3? All this and more can be yours by reading the interview below.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IGN: What areas of the first RalliSport Challenge did you feel needed the most improvement for the sequel and how did you improve those areas of the game?

DICE: We had several areas in which we wanted to push the limit further, some also inspired by the hard core fans in the forums. The really long tracks for instance came from there and made us change most of the architecture of the game due to the desperate need for streaming. Other than that the handling and damage model were two areas we really wanted new features and much tuning.

IGN: Talk a bit about the environments and what you were able to do this time around. There are a lot of familiar-looking areas, but everything seems to have a lot more detail than in the original RalliSport Challenge.

DICE: No environments or tracks are reused from the original RalliSport Challenge so it's all new content. The tracks are selected parts of a complete road grid, laid out in a fully-modeled landscape to remove the feeling of a tunnel racer. This means that some key areas might reoccur on for an instance the rally stretches but the basic idea is to have all tracks their own unique terrain and roads.

IGN: Once again you have car damage affecting performance, but once again it's really hard to notice, even when your car is heavily banged up. Why do you have that feature in there if it's not going to have any significant impact on the car?

DICE: It will become much more obvious if you switch to the tougher setting on the damage model. For example, it will be really hard to miss when you loose a wheel or two. The normal setting on this carries the same visual demolition of the cars (except the wheel falling of that is) but the car take less of a performance hit.

IGN: What do you think you do better than the Colin McRae franchise and what do you think Colin McRae does better than RalliSport Challenge 2?

DICE: RalliSport Challenge 2 tries to give the player the choice of several race modes, many more cars and driving styles. This is something which is lost in many of our competitors' games since they focus on only one sport -- our game is definitely much wider. Combine this with far better visual, greater handling of the cars and a solid Xbox Live support which resonates through the entire product and you'll soon realize who's the champ.

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/507/507614p1.html

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/507/507614p2.html
Page two, I copied page one but not two so click here for a couple more questions they asked.

I can't wait for RalliSport Challenge 2 looks great.
I looked but couldn't find when this was posted so if its old sorry, but it shouldn't be.

SoundX
04-21-2004, 11:20 AM
I can't wait either, I prefer Arcade Style Rally Games to full on Rally Sims. Rallisports over Colin any day for me.

l Maximus l
04-21-2004, 05:16 PM
This game is going to PWN!!! Honestly, this will be the reason for me to get back on XBL...Rallisport Challenge 2 will own all of us ;)

Unreal
05-04-2004, 01:39 PM
The game ships today. I will be looking for it tomorrow :D

Arven
05-20-2004, 10:46 AM
"No environments or tracks are reused from the original RalliSport Challenge so it's all new content." That was good to hear, since I'd heard differently.

Interviewer seemed a bit prickish. oh well.