PDA

View Full Version : Doom III CO-OP Mode goes online with Xbox Live

OuFtb
04-22-2004, 11:52 AM
"The Xbox version of Doom III currently in development at Vicarious Visions will feature co-operative online play via Xbox Live, according to word coming out of an Activision press event in California today.

Our source on the scene reports that it "looks great" up and running, and that the four-player Live deathmatch mode is also quite something to behold.

Last month, Vicarious Visions CEO Karthik Bala revealed that two-player co-operative play would be one of the major additions to the Xbox version, but despite describing the game as "a showcase title for Xbox Live," the expectation was that co-operative play would be limited to split-screen and System Link options.

Interestingly, the co-operative mode - one of the most enjoyable aspects of the original Doom games - is something entirely of Vicarious Visions' design, and will not be appearing in the flagship PC version of the game in development at Id Software.

The four-player deathmatch mode, however, certainly will be. Id first demonstrated it at the developer's annual QuakeCon event last year, and it drew plenty of attention, despite Id's previous assertions that Doom III is primarily single-player focused, and won't be as much of an 'arena' title as its previous offerings in the Quake series.

Id Software supremo John Carmack recently told a crowd at the Game Developers Conference that Doom III was "really close", and publisher Activision will certainly be hoping to get it onto store shelves within the year."

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=dev&aid=3335

Brutus
04-22-2004, 11:59 AM
Nice. Cool post, keeping us informed. I'm really looking forward to this Freak Fest on my TV.

GreenWeenie
04-22-2004, 12:02 PM
4 player DM??? Hmmm.... :cry:

Variation-XBA
04-22-2004, 01:08 PM
Online co-ops ROCKS....sweet!

The Executioner
04-22-2004, 02:44 PM
Man, I wasn't looking forward to this but the anticipation has just been so huge I decided to check it out (a little bit ago) and man! This really looks sweet, it looks like Halo 2 Doom 3 Half Life 2 nad Far Cry awill really be duking it out forsales. I am wondering which will have the most (overall) sales, this is my geuss.

Halo 2
Doom3
Half Life 2
Far Cry.
Anyway, sorry to stray off topic.

Cryogenic Pyro
04-22-2004, 04:45 PM
Co-op won't be in the PC version? That blows. That really does. I might just have to buy this for the Xbox, because 4 player deathmatch doesn't seem like it will be any fun.

Variation-XBA
04-23-2004, 12:26 AM
Co-op won't be in the PC version? That blows. That really does. I might just have to buy this for the Xbox, because 4 player deathmatch doesn't seem like it will be any fun.

Everyone thought Pandora Tomorrow 4 player multiplayer would suck as well though, and look :)

Arashi
04-23-2004, 12:44 AM
Either way, I really hope this game turns out great cuz it would be really sad if I enjoyed the first Doom more than its latest release :\

DocHoliday78
04-23-2004, 12:55 AM
That is extremly awesome. Live co-op....damn that makes me wana cry

l Maximus l
04-23-2004, 01:17 AM
DOOM 3 is going to own...but, I have to say that if DOOM 3 comes out the same month as Halo 2, I'll definately skip it. I have a feeling that Halo 2 will also boast XBL co-op.

4 player deathmatch? It has to work...hopefully there will be a team mode or something...instead of just Deathmatch. I'm really looking forward to seeing this in action...E3 is going to be wicked as hell...