PDA

View Full Version : Any RPG fans out there?

Tetsuo
04-22-2004, 06:02 PM
I am a huge fan of Role Playing Games, so it's with great disappointment that I look out over the landscape of XBox titles and see next to nothing in this genre (excluding the obviously cool Morrowind and KOTOR). I'm forced to assume one of two things, either Microsoft (and third parties) assume, incorrectly, that no-one is interested, or, no-one really is interested (besides me). Is there anyone out there who is willing to pay good money for an in-depth RPG? Sound Off!
(p.s. if it has the term "hack-n-slash" in it's game description, it is NOT an RPG)
(p.p.s What is your opinion, why do you think we haven't seen more?)
(p.p.p.s (last one I swear) Do you think F.F.XI will ever port over?)

Xorg
04-22-2004, 07:03 PM
how is baldur's gate not a RPG??? and did you forget Fable? Also True Fantasy Online is a MMORPG that sounds to be doing good. And no I dont see any Final Fantasy games coming to xbox

Cryogenic Pyro
04-22-2004, 07:12 PM
Fable will most likely be the best RPG to date when it comes out, but the thing is, we still do need more RPGs. True Fantasy will be fun. That's the thing all these games WILL be.

I am personally not a fan of Baldur's Gate or Morrowind, so that leaves me with what, KOTOR? We need a lot more RPGs on the next Xbox, because obviously, we had a serious lack on this system.

I also do not think FFXI will port over. I'm pretty sure Squaresoft has an agreement with Sony. Either way, I really wouldn't want it. It's $12.95 US a month, which is outrageous, even for an MMORPG.

l Maximus l
04-22-2004, 08:15 PM
Currently, there is but a few RPGs, however, the big RPGs are coming...True Fantasy On-line, Fable, and B.C.

They're all going to be HUGE! Good news for RPG fans :)

Also, I understand that KOTOR 2 is in development as well.

skorp
04-22-2004, 08:53 PM
and Jade Empire!!! :cheers:

Welcome aboard Tetsuo!!! Where is Kai?!... Akira, Kaneda, Kei, and Kaori....

Anyway, enjoy! :D

TuffEagle88
04-22-2004, 08:58 PM
welcome! yea there are a few out now, but there are a bunch that are about to be released, are in development, or are simply kinda hard to find.

Max33
04-23-2004, 09:21 AM
Here I go again..

Morrowind Baby!!!

GOTY!!!!

All the RPG you'll need for a good while

Sony can keep SquareSoft & their gay @ss lookin charecters,pre renderd backgrounds & gooffy plot lines."Let's Save the world from evil"

Dont worry Tetsuo,xbox is all about quality v.s. quantity

And keep your hands off my bike

Tetsuo
04-23-2004, 03:59 PM
Welcome aboard Tetsuo!!! Where is Kai?!... Akira, Kaneda, Kei, and Kaori....
Thanks! Glad to be here! :cheers: Oh, my friends will show up someday, I'm sure, especially Kaneda.
Thanks for responding, everyone, I guess ya'll are right about F.F. I was just living in denial, (but is it really
$12.95 US a month? I had no idea! ouch!)
I am looking forward to Fable (and have been for like a year already, oh well) and I actually got my first look, the other day, at the screenshots for True Fantasy Online. The idea of it sounds ambitious and very cool, but at first I was put off by the cutsie graphics (any opinions on why they went that way?). I think it's grown on me since, though.
By the way, I heard they cut a bunch of stuff from Fable, have you heard anything to this effect?

Cryogenic Pyro
04-23-2004, 05:08 PM
Thanks! Glad to be here! :cheers: Oh, my friends will show up someday, I'm sure, especially Kaneda.
Thanks for responding, everyone, I guess ya'll are right about F.F. I was just living in denial, (but is it really ? I had no idea! ouch!)
I am looking forward to Fable (and have been for like a year already, oh well) and I actually got my first look, the other day, at the screenshots for True Fantasy Online. The idea of it sounds ambitious and very cool, but at first I was put off by the cutsie graphics (any opinions on why they went that way?). I think it's grown on me since, though.
By the way, I heard they cut a bunch of stuff from Fable, have you heard anything to this effect?
Yes, they have cut a bunch of things from Fable. They have cut out child killing, and multiplayer. I'm not sure what else. If you think about it, it doesn't make sense. The release date keeps getting pushed back, and less and less of the features are making it into the game.

Shadow20002
04-23-2004, 05:16 PM
Fable will change the way we play RPGs. :)

One game to keep you busy until Xbox 2.

TuffEagle88
04-23-2004, 08:04 PM
I'm personally glad they cut out the child murdering, because the pics. I saw of that were really disturbing, but the multiplayer really dissappoints me. It sounded like they had a really awesome and unique multiplayer system. I don't get it, they delay the thing for years, yet still cut things out rather than add them. :confused: :rolleyes:

Tetsuo
04-24-2004, 01:44 PM
originally posted by Cryogenic Pyro
The release date keeps getting pushed back, and less and less of the features are making it into the game.

originally posted by TuffEagle88
they delay the thing for years, yet still cut things out rather than add them
Maybe they bit off more than they could chew, or chickened out? Even so, I agree it should be cool, but the XBox is such awesome hardware it seems like it would be the perfect console for monsterously huge RPG's. I really am surprised we don't have more. Do you think that up until now, only the japanese could really pull off a good RPG? (for consoles that is, I know Bioware has been doin' it for years on P.C.)

Regosnot
04-24-2004, 06:51 PM
One thing I like about in Fable is that it will have clock system where people go to work and school at certain times and are at different places on different days. Also I like it that the person has to run to the guard to report you not just automatic reporting like in Morrowind.

Cryogenic Pyro
04-25-2004, 12:15 AM
One thing I like about in Fable is that it will have clock system where people go to work and school at certain times and are at different places on different days. Also I like it that the person has to run to the guard to report you not just automatic reporting like in Morrowind.
That is... If the person makes it to the guard ;).

-Natas-
04-25-2004, 12:59 AM
I would like to see more RPG's as well since I'm really not liking FF anymore. I have tons of RPG's for my PS and PS2 but only one RPG I like on Xbox (Morrowind GOTY Edition). Morrowind did take me awhile to get use too as it was not the type of RPG I normally play. I have played KotOR but it just did not seem like a good game to me so I never bought it. I'm really looking forward to Fable and hope I'm not dissappointed when it is finally released. :(

FFXI will not be ported as Square Enix does have a deal with Sony. I have played FFXI on PS2 as I beta tested it and it was a cool game and all but $12.95 a month for one character is just stupid. They charge you another $1 for every character over 1 and another dollar to play Terta Master (card game from FFIX). Just playing FFXI with one character and no Tetra will cost you $155.40 a year, forget that. I could buy 3 brand new games for that price and in a few years the servers will go bye bye along with my character and I got a useless game. Between the fees and the fact it's online only I do not play MMORPG's (unless I'm beta testing them). ;)

Naota
04-25-2004, 01:12 AM
I like RPG's but it's not something I can't deal without. Unfortunately the PS2 is the way to go with RPG's right now but with Fable coming out sometime between now and 2010 the Xbox might start getting more RPG's, I hope so because that is one of the few categories the Xbox lacks.

brozz
04-29-2004, 08:11 AM
how is baldur's gate not a RPG???

Baldurs Gate is NOT an RPG, it is a hack/slash dungeon crawler. Yep, BD:1 & 2 are great games, but they are NOT RPGs.

Chewy
04-29-2004, 08:45 AM
Welcome to our humble abode here Tetsuo. You are right man, there just aren't the amount of RPGs for the xbox that there are for other systems. The one I just did a preview of looks promising, Sudeki. If you are an anime style RPGer then I think you will like this one. As always, when doing a preview, I didn't get to play as much as I would have liked, but it seemed like it was going to have a fairly lengthy gameplay. The background story was really interesting, and it sure was a nice game to look at. And KOTOR 2, what more could we want? That is something we are all waiting for. Jade Empire, as skorp mentioned sure looking interesting. Fable is the one that I am most wary of. I have a problem with games that get a lot of hype. Most have problems living up to the expectations that gamers build up with games that are pumped in the press a long time before release. So there certainly are some RPG style games that are going to hit the xbox in the next while. While we are waiting I am just going to have to go back to playing Neverwinter on my computer, or City of Heroes that new MMORPG that hit the stores this week.

Xorg
04-29-2004, 02:30 PM
Baldurs Gate is NOT an RPG, it is a hack/slash dungeon crawler. Yep, BD:1 & 2 are great games, but they are NOT RPGs.
They have some rpg elements making them an action rpg

Brutus
04-29-2004, 02:40 PM
Quite simply enough, My favorite Role to play is Master Chief, even though it's classified as an Action Title. Another Favorite "Game's Role" of mine is Ryu Hayabusa.
Same with Xbox Greats: Morrowind, Deus Ex Invisible War, KOTOR, and upcoming Fable and Jade Empire.
It's about time RPG's (So to speak) started having more action and more to do.
I admit, I fell in love with the whole Final Fantasy series when I was younger. Got fired up after beating the last boss for the third time. I didn't realize what a bore it was though.
No reprocutions for your actions. Completely non-linear, one direction and the only options you have are what weopons you carry.
But, they control the same! There's no different feel for a weopon or which one you were born to wield... It's just how many points pop up over an enemy's head and that's all that's said and done!
Thank Bill Gates for not supporting the "Lazy" Games of old and deciding to push the envelope on all games, all styles.
Without him, Metal Dungeon on Xbox would be a Platinum HIt, which is, if you're looking for it, described as a Non-linear, stand in line where you watch the numbers over your head move up and down.
If that's what you're standard is for RPG's, Tatsuo, have at it. You might be able to find that game, but if you aren't looking for a challenging game, maybe PS and the multiple Final Fantasy's will put a smile on your face.
I'm an Xbox Addict and Love it! I'm addicted because I push myself in a game, not only Upgrading my Character's Skills, but also my personal controller, button pushing, thumbstick controls as well.
I just hate it when someone says that the Box is low on RPG's.
What do you want? Pokeman!?
I'll do with Breakdown for the time being. Very Interesting gem of a game.

RockTheCasba
04-29-2004, 09:49 PM
I am a huge fan of Role Playing Games, so it's with great disappointment that I look out over the landscape of XBox titles and see next to nothing in this genre (excluding the obviously cool Morrowind and KOTOR). I'm forced to assume one of two things, either Microsoft (and third parties) assume, incorrectly, that no-one is interested, or, no-one really is interested (besides me). Is there anyone out there who is willing to pay good money for an in-depth RPG? Sound Off!
(p.s. if it has the term "hack-n-slash" in it's game description, it is NOT an RPG)
(p.p.s What is your opinion, why do you think we haven't seen more?)
(p.p.p.s (last one I swear) Do you think F.F.XI will ever port over?)

IN june comes Sudeki then in September comes the mother of all rpgs Fable and somewhere around the Lotr: The Third Age. just wait young grasshopper

StudioAlex
04-29-2004, 11:06 PM

I think the reason TFLO's graphics are "cutesy" is because the game is being developed by a japanese developer who is tailoring it towards a japanese's gamer's taste.

Unreal
04-30-2004, 04:10 PM
Fable, True Fantasy Live Online, Sudeki, Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic 2, Jade Empire are just a few for sure RPG's on the way :D

brozz
05-08-2004, 02:53 PM
They have some rpg elements making them an action rpg

Where exactly, are the RPG elements. I hope your not talking about the pathetic list of things you can add points to when you gain levels. That's not RPG stuff .... it's more like Final Fantasy. Which, btw, is NOT an RPG either.